Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

puppy/dog training

puppy/dog training

Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:05 am
Just Joined

deedogar74 is a jewel in the roughdeedogar74 is a jewel in the roughdeedogar74 is a jewel in the roughdeedogar74 is a jewel in the rough
Default puppy/dog training

I have a 15 month old pup that we rescued from the streets of Tenerife and brought with us to Calgary. He has never used a leash before, preferring to walk along side us, take himself for a walk etc, life here is different and we are struggling to control him on the leash, we need some dog training classes!!!! we went to a nearby off leash park today and let him off for all of 2 minutes when he encountered the biggest newfie ever seen, poor little mite was so frightened, however, we got him back on the leash and suddenly became aggressive toward the other dog, so we have some issues to work through! any advice appreciated!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:05 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: puppy/dog training

http://www.endofmyleash.com/

Try this Guy, hes Calgary based and after seeing him on his programme he does get the dogs and owners both trained pretty well lol.

You have one lucky dog, I know that there are not many people who would do what you did and bring him back from Tenerife with you.

Good luck x minihaha x
Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deedogar74
I have a 15 month old pup that we rescued from the streets of Tenerife and brought with us to Calgary. He has never used a leash before, preferring to walk along side us, take himself for a walk etc, life here is different and we are struggling to control him on the leash, we need some dog training classes!!!! we went to a nearby off leash park today and let him off for all of 2 minutes when he encountered the biggest newfie ever seen, poor little mite was so frightened, however, we got him back on the leash and suddenly became aggressive toward the other dog, so we have some issues to work through! any advice appreciated!
My parent's live in Tenerife and this seems to be a huge problem.

A high number of dogs/cats are being dumped on the way to the airport, just left behind to fend for themselves. The rescue centre there is always full.

Good luck.

Linda
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:03 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You could try training where the Iams superdogs train.

http://www.superdogspectrum.ca/
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought Don Sullivans training guide following an infomercial we saw.
It uses a training collar to give corrections every time he pulls on his leash. It's used for other training too, but works very well for leash pulling.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:23 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

To stop Henry from pulling I use a Gentle Leader harness. It works wonders and can be found at Petsmart or on www.sitstay.com
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of dog training......

We got Cassie nearly two weeks ago, and couldn't believe our luck how good she was. Eight days without a single accident, then we had her clipped and the very next day not one, but two accidents on our carpet of all places! Then it happened again today, I am not happy as I had just taken her out and she had weed and pooed, then came straight back in and pooed again on my carpet. She didn't even try to get near the door

I also think she may be coming into season....could that have anything to do with it, she is 7 months old???

Anyone got any ideas?

Linda
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Linda P
On the subject of dog training......

We got Cassie nearly two weeks ago, and couldn't believe our luck how good she was. Eight days without a single accident, then we had her clipped and the very next day not one, but two accidents on our carpet of all places! Then it happened again today, I am not happy as I had just taken her out and she had weed and pooed, then came straight back in and pooed again on my carpet. She didn't even try to get near the door

I also think she may be coming into season....could that have anything to do with it, she is 7 months old???

Anyone got any ideas?

Linda
Same with ours. He's about the same age. We can go 2 weeks with no accidents, then out of the blue, he'll do something on the floor.... usually right after he's been out in the garden.

He's been sick a few times recently too- mostly just froth, but was wondering if anyone knew if this was normal in young dogs?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jericho
Same with ours. He's about the same age. We can go 2 weeks with no accidents, then out of the blue, he'll do something on the floor.... usually right after he's been out in the garden.

He's been sick a few times recently too- mostly just froth, but was wondering if anyone knew if this was normal in young dogs?
It seems so silly....in every other way she is perfect!

I wouldn't say anything if I hadn't taken her out, or even if she had made an effort to get near a door, but the three times she has pooed it's been in the middle of the carpet. I didn't make too much of it at first, but I have to be honest after she did it today I did say...."who done that??"
Her head went down and she ran to her bed.

I am now back to not trusting her, which is a shame as she was doing so well.

Linda
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Hi Guys,

We have a 20 week old German Shepherd who is an awesome but dominant dog. We have owned a German Shepherd before but just wanted some pointers re obediance training. We had Larry Neilson of Konfident Kanines recommended to us. We called Larry and he came around and spent some time with us and 'Storm' our dog. We were impressed by his knowledge and he did not charge us for this home visit. He just wanted to see how our family and our dog were together. We have booked some training with him in March. Here is his web site http://www.konfidentkanines.com/store/
Good luck, Eddie & Julie Okotoks.

Last edited by wallace; Jan 31st 2009 at 11:31 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

I would recommend the don sullivan system, but I know some people might not agree with his methods (eg/ the training collar).

He shares a similar philosophy to the dog whisperer, in that it's about gaining respect from your dog, being the pack leader etc. I've only had it a couple of weeks but we can see a notable difference. He's still a puppy, which explains a lot of his behaviour, but IMO, you have to start as you mean to go on...
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:41 am

I would recommend the don sullivan system, but I know some people might not agree with his methods (eg/ the training collar).

He shares a similar philosophy to the dog whisperer, in that it's about gaining respect from your dog, being the pack leader etc. I've only had it a couple of weeks but we can see a notable difference. He's still a puppy, which explains a lot of his behaviour, but IMO, you have to start as you mean to go on...
Great techniques for a lot of breeds but don't bother if you have a Chow or equally stubborn dog
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Great techniques for a lot of breeds but don't bother if you have a Chow or equally stubborn dog
Mines an airedale, so you could say he was stubborn...
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:18 pm

Mines an airedale, so you could say he was stubborn...
We were finding with some of the techniques, Henry's spirit was starting to break, he was becomming a very sad dog so we stopped with a lot of the suggestions and carried on with the ones that he'd picked up straight away. Quite often with Chows suggestion works much better than 'you will do this when I say!'

Every dog is different so different things will work. There is however a reason you will never see Ceasar Milan with a Chow on his show
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: puppy/dog training

Hi there! we have 3 border collies, 2 of them are almost 11 years old and the other is 4. You've done a fabulous thing for the little guy. Border collies are notorious for not liking being on a leash - they think they're far too superior for all that business! Don't worry, you need to be very very patient. We had a similar problem with our youngest dog, Jake. He doesn't like being on the leash and he doesn't like other dogs on leashes either When we first put the leash on him he wouldn't walk at all - he would stubbornly sit down!!! We started training him with a harness so there was nothing around his neck and he seemed much happier with that, and used an extendable lead too (so he had more freedom but we could stop him if we needed to). It took a while but he's good as gold now and we only use a choker style leash which can be easily slipped on and off.

With 3 dogs to control we have found that ensuring they will 'come here' 'wait' and 'sit' is actually more effective than keeping them on the leash all the time.

Good luck and try not to show frustration. With all of ours we found that fussing and praising them when they did something right (along with the odd treat) worked wonders....

Don't worry about the incident at the park - put it out of your mind! If he was scared, being approached by the newfie whilst on the leash must have been scarier still as he couldn't run away.

take care x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.