Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Public Sector Jobs in Canada ​​​​​​​

Public Sector Jobs in Canada ​​​​​​​

Old Jun 4th 2020, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public Sector Jobs in Canada ​​​​​​​

My 2 cents worth and from experience.
If I was employed by any UK Police Force (I was ex Lancashire), UK Border Force, Prison Service or other such profession and not married to a Canadian Citizen/PR there is no way I would contemplate on giving up such a job especially if several years service.
I was lucky I did it just over 30 years ago. If wishing to maintain such a career in Canada it is very competitive and add in nepotism it makes it very tough to get hired. This is only my opinion and others may vary and some have managed to do it but like I said it depends on what you want to risk.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 12:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
My 2 cents worth and from experience.
If I was employed by any UK Police Force (I was ex Lancashire), UK Border Force, Prison Service or other such profession and not married to a Canadian Citizen/PR there is no way I would contemplate on giving up such a job especially if several years service.
I was lucky I did it just over 30 years ago. If wishing to maintain such a career in Canada it is very competitive and add in nepotism it makes it very tough to get hired. This is only my opinion and others may vary and some have managed to do it but like I said it depends on what you want to risk.
And this is a hell of a time to get hired for any job in Canada, perhaps anywhere; your competition is all those local people who had good jobs until the pandemic.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grimnorth
I have spoken to our friend in CBSA intelligence (used to be the European liaison officer in Paris) the lateral transfer scheme did exist but ceased when CBSA went armed, Sorry.

He did say CBSA recruitment even in Canada is "challenging". With people who have passed the whole process placed on a list, which is then cancelled. There are schemes for local recruitment for specific or hard to fill areas but you have to reside in the right area. He said he would contact some friends to see if there is anything that can be done.

John and Debs who I thought transferred, sort of did but had to resign in the UK first and then apply to CBSA. Although CBSA sorted a lot of the issues out with Immigration for them. They did say that when they joined you had to be a landed permanent resident to apply.

Re the police option mentioned, this is definitely a minimum of landed permanent resident (municipal) and RCMP you must: Be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status in Canada. Individuals with permanent resident status must have resided in Canada for the last 10 consecutive years. In many of the city forces most people get in through bylaw or enforcemnt jobs. Do them for a couple of years then apply.
​​​​​​​So as a newley landed PR RCMP would be a non starter. Supose that simplifies things!