Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Public Sector Jobs in Canada ​​​​​​​

Public Sector Jobs in Canada ​​​​​​​

Old May 31st 2020, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Public Sector Jobs in Canada ​​​​​​​

Hi all,

My daughter works for UK Borderforce. She now has her PR and would like to relocate to Canada in a similar role. It has been suggested she would she need to speak French in order to get a job in CBSA or the RCMP, can anyone confirm this ?
Old May 31st 2020, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public Sector Jobs in Canada ​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Hi all,

My daughter works for UK Borderforce. She now has her PR and would like to relocate to Canada in a similar role. It has been suggested she would she need to speak French in order to get a job in CBSA or the RCMP, can anyone confirm this ?
For CBSA they have unilingual English and French positions. French is not mandatory however candidates who speak both languages potentially may stand a better chance.

For the RCMP must have been a permanent resident and physically resided in Canada for the past 3 years (1095) days

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/qualif...d-requirements

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-empl...auche-eng.html
Old May 31st 2020, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

She'll be very happy to hear that she doesn't necessarily need to learn French. Thank you👍
Old May 31st 2020, 4:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

She should check municipal police forces as well, pay in many municipal forces is better than RCMP.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
She should check municipal police forces as well, pay in many municipal forces is better than RCMP.
Thanks, that's good to know.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, is she planning on moving prior to job offer?

I'm an experienced police officer with PR status but have failed to move due to not being able to find a role (even a low down positions). I think if I was in country maybe I would have a little more success but law enforcement is a competitive game over there nowadays and most posts require Canadian qualifications like a diploma in law/policing, other Canadian checks (security clearance, PARE fitness assessment or similar and first aid) prior to even being considered.

Can she request a career break? Maybe worth looking into as some agencies like the police are happy to allow for personal development. Not sure about UKBF. Is she willing to move and work in any position whilst she retrains and does her quals? She will likely land on her feet eventually with the right quals. Not as easy as it first seems and requires time, patience and hard work, especially in the current economic climate where policing is seen as an attractive job for Canadians.

If she's willing to make the leap without a role already in place, and willing to work in any position initally, she will have a blast (lived and worked previously on a working holiday). If she's specifically looking for a role (like myself) prior to the move, it's not so easy. Hope that helps. If she wants to message me to discuss what I have discovered during my research please let her know and she can DM me.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdamfromWales
Hi there, is she planning on moving prior to job offer?

I'm an experienced police officer with PR status but have failed to move due to not being able to find a role (even a low down positions). I think if I was in country maybe I would have a little more success but law enforcement is a competitive game over there nowadays and most posts require Canadian qualifications like a diploma in law/policing, other Canadian checks (security clearance, PARE fitness assessment or similar and first aid) prior to even being considered.

Can she request a career break? Maybe worth looking into as some agencies like the police are happy to allow for personal development. Not sure about UKBF. Is she willing to move and work in any position whilst she retrains and does her quals? She will likely land on her feet eventually with the right quals. Not as easy as it first seems and requires time, patience and hard work, especially in the current economic climate where policing is seen as an attractive job for Canadians.

If she's willing to make the leap without a role already in place, and willing to work in any position initally, she will have a blast (lived and worked previously on a working holiday). If she's specifically looking for a role (like myself) prior to the move, it's not so easy. Hope that helps. If she wants to message me to discuss what I have discovered during my research please let her know and she can DM me.
Thanks, l agree it is probably much easier to secure employment when you're on the ground. Luckily my daughter is quite prepared to turn her hand to anything while she waits for the right opportunity and as she's single that's easier for her. Obviously the big worry would be resigning a good salaried UK job to find oneself forever stuck flipping burgers for minimum wage - no disrespect to burger flippers BTW!

Last edited by Revin Kevin; Jun 3rd 2020 at 4:04 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is a worry and one we have found ourselves in personally. A right ol' palaver!

We would have to make a significant step back in order to hope that eventually we could step forward. If only I could have moved 15 years ago in the oil boom as they were looking for UK police back then.

I suppose it comes down to what she wants out of the move. To travel, explore, meet people, find what she likes and eventually settle if she likes it or to find a similar job from UKBF and settle almost immediately which is naturally harder to accomplish. I did see civvy airport screening and security roles which maybe another option? They are much lower pay than shes probably used to but maybe a stepping stone.

By the sounds of it we are older and more settled, with a house etc and we were hoping for a better quality of life, so that's what makes it hard when I am struggling to find a role that I am qualified to do due to the commitments we will still have with house in the UK, especially with the pandemic problems and instability that has brought to the economy.

Best of luck with everything. It's such a great country.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Grimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

I will just throw in here, we moved to Canada 11 years ago. I was a policeman but spent 10 years in a national role assigned to HM Customs & Excise and then HMRC (same outfit different logo). When we were looking at Canada the director of my division in Customs had the CBSA liaison in Europe contact me about a lateral transfer. They started the paperwork but then realised I could not do it, as I was actually police, but they did then exist.

Some friends of ours (gone back to UK now) transferred directly between HMRC and CBSA. They served with the CBSA in Vancouver, Ottawa and here in Halifax NS before they went back.

I will contact my friends and associates in CBSA to see if lateral transfers still exist.

Standby
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grimnorth
Hi everyone

I will just throw in here, we moved to Canada 11 years ago. I was a policeman but spent 10 years in a national role assigned to HM Customs & Excise and then HMRC (same outfit different logo). When we were looking at Canada the director of my division in Customs had the CBSA liaison in Europe contact me about a lateral transfer. They started the paperwork but then realised I could not do it, as I was actually police, but they did then exist.

Some friends of ours (gone back to UK now) transferred directly between HMRC and CBSA. They served with the CBSA in Vancouver, Ottawa and here in Halifax NS before they went back.

I will contact my friends and associates in CBSA to see if lateral transfers still exist.

Standby
Not that I am aware of. We do have the odd ones on assignment working with us but I have never heard of a lateral transfer but hey what do I know what deals can be done. For the OP they can have my job in about 4.5 years if I decide not to pull the plug before then.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdamfromWales
Yes it is a worry and one we have found ourselves in personally. A right ol' palaver!

We would have to make a significant step back in order to hope that eventually we could step forward. If only I could have moved 15 years ago in the oil boom as they were looking for UK police back then.

I suppose it comes down to what she wants out of the move. To travel, explore, meet people, find what she likes and eventually settle if she likes it or to find a similar job from UKBF and settle almost immediately which is naturally harder to accomplish. I did see civvy airport screening and security roles which maybe another option? They are much lower pay than shes probably used to but maybe a stepping stone.

By the sounds of it we are older and more settled, with a house etc and we were hoping for a better quality of life, so that's what makes it hard when I am struggling to find a role that I am qualified to do due to the commitments we will still have with house in the UK, especially with the pandemic problems and instability that has brought to the economy.

Best of luck with everything. It's such a great country.
It's a difficult one alright- I suppose it depends to a certain extent wether your ruled by your head or your heart!

Old Jun 4th 2020, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not that I am aware of. We do have the odd ones on assignment working with us but I have never heard of a lateral transfer but hey what do I know what deals can be done. For the OP they can have my job in about 4.5 years if I decide not to pull the plug before then.
Knock 3 years off and we have a deal!
Old Jun 4th 2020, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

If she is able to secure a career break in order to develop her career in Canada she could always enjoy herself, learn lots and have a great time with the comfort blanket of returning if things don't work out. Certainly worth her considering rather than resigning all together. Its something we have been considering. There are quite strict rules to a career break but if it's authorised career development it could actually be a really good opportunity and lowers risk.

We nearly moved a year back when my wife was offered a role but it fell through last minute. My force was happy to authorise a career break under strict conditions.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Grimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond repute

I have spoken to our friend in CBSA intelligence (used to be the European liaison officer in Paris) the lateral transfer scheme did exist but ceased when CBSA went armed, Sorry.

He did say CBSA recruitment even in Canada is "challenging". With people who have passed the whole process placed on a list, which is then cancelled. There are schemes for local recruitment for specific or hard to fill areas but you have to reside in the right area. He said he would contact some friends to see if there is anything that can be done.

John and Debs who I thought transferred, sort of did but had to resign in the UK first and then apply to CBSA. Although CBSA sorted a lot of the issues out with Immigration for them. They did say that when they joined you had to be a landed permanent resident to apply.

Re the police option mentioned, this is definitely a minimum of landed permanent resident (municipal) and RCMP you must: Be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status in Canada. Individuals with permanent resident status must have resided in Canada for the last 10 consecutive years. In many of the city forces most people get in through bylaw or enforcemnt jobs. Do them for a couple of years then apply.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

I agree with the bylaw / peace officer roles being a possible way forward - although as of yet I have not been able to secure one of these roles personally as a UK bobby I suspect due to a mismatch in the quals required (I.e. local / municipal bylaws) and they also seem to be in high demand as they pay well, especially in the urban areas. I've applied for many but 90% of roles I haven't even had a response. I've had one or two say to reapply / come back to us when in country so making the jump without a role may be the only way forward for me personally.

Sometimes in life you've just got to bite the bullet and go for it. Easier said than done when you have a secure UK role and nothing in Canada so I can totally empathise and understand the concerns raised.
​​

​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.