Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Psychiatrist planning to move to Canada

Psychiatrist planning to move to Canada

Old Jul 29th 2019, 2:28 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Psychiatrist planning to move to Canada

I fed the words psychiatrist and ontario into the search engine for the Canada board, and it coughed up this Slim pickings, I know.
Originally Posted by Annie955
Hi
i am currently working as a consultant psychiatrist in UK and considering moving to Canada (more specifically Ontario due to family). It would be helpful if someone has done that and could explain a little. I tried looking through website, pretty confusing. TIA

Old Jul 29th 2019, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

i am currently working as a consultant psychiatrist in UK and considering moving to Canada (more specifically Ontario due to family). It would be helpful if someone has done that and could explain a little. I tried looking through website, pretty confusing. TIA
Which website and what's pretty confusing? Are you talking about getting assessed and licensed to work as a psychiatrist in Canada, or about the visa process? If you can be more specific, we can try and help.

Welcome to BE btw.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Annie955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Which website and what's pretty confusing? Are you talking about getting assessed and licensed to work as a psychiatrist in Canada, or about the visa process? If you can be more specific, we can try and help.

Welcome to BE btw.
thank you Christmasooma for your prompt response. I believe there are a few options available to pursue, one of them is to work supervised for certain duration without taking any further exams but that’s all hearsay, I couldn’t see it on official website. Is there such a thing? I am obviously not overly keen on taking further exams ( if that’s possible at all!) TIA
Old Jul 29th 2019, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

thank you Christmasooma for your prompt response. I believe there are a few options available to pursue, one of them is to work supervised for certain duration without taking any further exams but that’s all hearsay, I couldn’t see it on official website. Is there such a thing? I am obviously not overly keen on taking further exams ( if that’s possible at all!) TIA
Ah, ok, if your confusion is about getting licensed to work in Canada then I'm afraid I'm of no use to you! Hopefully others will be able to assist though.

Good luck.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Annie955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, ok, if your confusion is about getting licensed to work in Canada then I'm afraid I'm of no use to you! Hopefully others will be able to assist though.

Good luck.
no worries! Thank you
Old Jul 29th 2019, 6:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
There's some info on the official websites - links in my post here: Psychiatrist planning to move to Canada

Initially... for Ontario: https://www.cpso.on.ca/Physicians/Re...n/Requirements
But the Access Centre might be useful for getting info too : http://www.healthforceontario.ca/en/.../Access_Centre

There's some info in this thread - might be worth searching through it as there's a few people who have mentioned that they are psychiatrists Has anyone sat the MCCEE?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 29th 2019 at 6:30 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

drasmahj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grimnorth
Good Evening,

Our friend Dr. Nachiketa Sinha is the current chairman of the Canadian Psychiatric Association (CPA).

He also moved as a psychiatrist from the UK.

Send me an E mail and I will put you both in touch.

Stuart

Hi

I am an ST5 in Learning Disability psychiatry and planning to move once my CCT is completed
Wanted some advice how to plan my move in next two years

needs some guidance as family is in Ontario

Last edited by drasmahj; Aug 26th 2019 at 8:16 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

mnehal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Im ST5 in General Adult Psychiatry and in the Process of submitting my documents to MCC for source verification.
Is it true that we will be eligible to work after passing QE-1? and that we can give QE-2 and canadian psychiatry fellowship exams whilst working there?
It will be helpful if anyone who has been through the process would guide me and others here

<snipped email address>
Old Apr 26th 2020, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Khodeza Akter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
i am khodeza. ST6 in GA Psychiatry. Wanted to ask you paperwork and process you are undertaking as I am also looking onto moving to Canada.
can I contact you?

Last edited by Khodeza Akter; Apr 26th 2020 at 11:21 am.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

peterwu291 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

So it appears there are minimum requirements of 5 years of training. (4 of which are in an approved psychiatry training program) according to the minimum requirements for psychiatry.

If this is the case, then would it not be allowed to apply before finishing your CCT? Does anyone know someone who has done this route (before completing their CCT)?

Thanks,
Peter

Old Nov 8th 2020, 1:56 am
Just Joined

drtab06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Peter :

I wonder how easy is the process with Canadian Royal college? I will be doing it in future as well.
I am Canadian citizen and planning to write MRCPsych exams, work in UK an move back to Canada.

I will appreciate if you keep posted with any precise info if u get from college about the eligibility to practice in Canada.

Thanks