Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Psychiatric nursing

Psychiatric nursing

Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Erihrimark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Psychiatric nursing

With the new tax system(ir35) for agency workers in UK, looks like anywhere any nursing job in Canada will be better than here. also have been hearing that the standard of living there is better esp. for kids. So I am going to go for BC . Thanks so far
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Erihrimark
With the new tax system(ir35) for agency workers in UK, looks like anywhere any nursing job in Canada will be better than here. also have been hearing that the standard of living there is better esp. for kids. So I am going to go for BC . Thanks so far
I would disagree that the standard of living is better for those with kids in BC - personally, I think it's about the same as in the UK. Some things better, some things worse but of course it does depend on where you're moving to and from. To move your family and spend tens of thousands of pounds (plus go through all the stress and hassle), I would make sure it'll be what you think it will be! Presumably you'll have to go over there to sit your exams/do your courses to get licensed, so hopefully you can visit and check it out for yourself first, as it doesn't sound like you've been to Canada before?

Not sure what the tax changes in the UK are, but you can ask on the forum about how much you'll be taxed in Canada to give you an idea of earnings etc. Maybe start a new thread with a relevant title for that though, so those in the know will see it. This Wiki article will help get you started too - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Income_Tax_Rates-Canada And this one - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Payroll_Deductions-Canada

And I've mentioned it twice now, but you've still responded to the question about your CRS score. Have you checked it? If not, do check it now (Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool - Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)), as if you need a job offer to get a visa then you might not be able to go wherever you chose anyway. You can just guess at your English exam results etc to give you any idea for now.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 8th 2017 at 8:28 am.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Hi Christmasoompa
I scored 348 on CRS tool
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Christmasoompa
I scored 348 on CRS tool
OK, so at the moment you will need a job offer then, that's not enough to get selected from the pool and invited to apply for PR. You can see the previous points levels that draws have been made at here - Express Entry results: Previous rounds of invitations (just click on the date to see the lowest score to give you any idea).

So BC may be fine, but I've no idea on the likelihood of finding a job offer and sponsoring employer there at the moment, hopefully the nurses on the forum will be able to help you with that. If not, then there may be another province that would be a better option and where that's more likely.

But at least now you know you'll need a job offer, those in the know can help you figure out the best place to aim for, and help you with the process of getting licensed there and finding a job offer as a nurse.

Best of luck with it.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks Chris.
Nurses or Psychiatric nurses in the forum please.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chris.
Try the nurses and doctors section of the forum.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/nurse...ccupations-72/
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Chris.
There's lots around (or at least they will be later when they wake up!). But have you searched the forum? There's a ton of threads which would be useful reading, this one is probably a good place to start and has loads of info in - http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...-nurse-869345/

HTH.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a nurse and I suggest checking what the job situation in both provinces are like and be aware Canada nursing is in most cases unionized and for most nurses the starting point is casual working towards full time and that can take years. When looking for employer for a work permit or to gain points in pr then you really have to look at areas that struggle to get nurses as that may be the only way to secure a full time position which is usually requirement to get permit or points
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:59 am
Just Joined

M<at as well stay put here or try America where the pay is higher?. thought was easy to practice in canada
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

M<at as well stay put here or try America where the pay is higher?. thought was easy to practice in canada
I don't think you'll get a visa for the US? Unless you're married to a US citizen or similar? But you can ask in the US immi section of the forum.

Not sure where you heard it was easy! Having read numerous experiences from nurses on the forum over the years, it seems to take months or years, and cost quite a bit, to get licensed to work in Canada. Worth doing if you love Canada and really want to move there, but you do seem to need to be determined and be prepared to jump through hoops to get there.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're marrying an American you will really struggle to qualify for a visa to work in the US.

Is there a particular reason you want to leave the UK so vadly? What's the draw to Canada?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

RMN will not meet US requirements unless your transcripts show both clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Obstetrics, Mental Health and Adult. Process is not as long to register the issue is finding a US employer willing to pay $$$$$ for either H1b or immigrant visa
Old Mar 9th 2017, 2:22 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

You don't look as if you have actually done any research into potentially upping sticks and moving across the Atlantic - good luck South of the border. Just out of interest, what gave you the idea that it would be easy to practice in Canada- because it is in the jolly old Commenwealth?
As people have sensibly pointed out , there are several threads about nursing in Canada, you just have to have the gumption and a tiny smidge of energy to read them- that is a good start
Old Mar 9th 2017, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

aja424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
First, you have to apply to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS). They require transcripts from your nursing uni, confirmation of identity verified by a solicitor, confirmed from NMC that you are indeed a practicing nurse and a couple of signatures from your employer.
NNAS costs $650 and you have to choose a province. For an additional $80 you can add another province. I strongly advice you to do this, because choosing another province when NNAS have written your report will cost you $650 again.
I have just completed NNAS. I don't qualify for a visa unless I get a job offer where the employer is willing to sponsor on a Temporary Work Permit. I have contacted Alberta Health Services and they do not employer international nurses unless they have an Open Temporary Work Permit, of which I do not qualify.
British Columbia appear to be much more helpful, and will sponsor international nurses for a Temporary Work Permit. I will be applying later on this evening.
Good luck with whatever route you decide.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

A number of things:
1. BC and Alberta are vast. So you may say BC is better for a family, but living in northern BC is going to be vastly different to living in the lower mainland, think London vs Thurso Scotland). Both provinces are so sparsely populated by UK standards that many of the small towns are literally HOURS away from a big city but the cites are just cities. Therefore to say BC is good for a family is like saying the UK has reasonable house prices... but by UK you mean Irvine in Scotland has reasonable house prices. It's too general.
2. People on the forum answer the same questions day in and day out. It can be quite frustrating when a new member comes on and expects all information to be spoon fed to them rather than doing some research themselves. That's why some members may be being sarcastic and short with you. I wouldn't take it too personally, the forums are a wealth of knowledge and so is the wiki on the site.
3. As a psychiatric nurse you're limited to the provinces you will be able to practice in without significant extra study. From memory it is only BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan which recognise psychiatric nurses as a field in themselves. All other provinces require training and hours in what would be mental health, general trained and midwife trained nurses in the UK. But even so the process is long, expensive and will usually require some training and exams.

If I where you I'd decide what kind of life you see yourself living; in a city? In a town local (a couple of hours drive) to a city? or in a town that is so remote there's only a few thousand people within a few hours driving? BC, Alberta and Sask offer all three options which just highlights the vastness of the provinces.
Also registering as a nurse as an extremely long and painful process and so it's worth spending the time now to figure out if it's even worth it at all.
Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.