Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which province?

Wikiposts

Which province?

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future
Default Which province?

I know this is s huge question but for those of you who have travelled across Canada what are the pros and cons of different provinces.

We will be looking for value for money in regards to property, Local communities, Job oppurtunities and schools.

Had intended to relocate in Ontario but need a PNP.

As it is such a huge Country we don't know where to start.

Kerry
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:19 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which province?

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
I know this is s huge question but for those of you who have travelled across Canada what are the pros and cons of different provinces.

We will be looking for value for money in regards to property, Local communities, Job oppurtunities and schools.

Kerry
Even provinces are huge and what you ask for differs from one part of the province to another.

Use those fingers to search the net for info, research research depending on the above reqirements and that of making a living.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

RodseyUK will become famous soon enoughRodseyUK will become famous soon enough

Kerry
Unfortunately this is not a question anyone other than yourselves can answer and the best way to gather the information is to visit different places in each province you are considering.

Costly I know, but if you are seriously thinking of emigrating to Canada you should spend at least a couple of weeks in each province and try to avoid treating your time there like a normal holiday.

My brother and I have spent 2 weeks, twice a year since 2004 visiting Canada and have tried to live like the locals (although out of hotels, B&B's) instead of doing all the tourist things.

Gathering information from the internet is fine to a certain extent but the information is usually someone elses' opinion and not yours.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone posted that Ontario might do PNP soon a few days ago.

Last edited by Beebop; Jan 24th 2007 at 3:05 am.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:03 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Kerry
I would recommend Iqualit, Nunavit as a good city for you.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:10 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I would recommend Iqualit, Nunavit as a good city for you.
http://www.city.iqaluit.nu.ca/apps/f...=c.displayHome

Rich.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:27 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beebop
Someone posted that Ontario might do PNP soon a few days ago.
For those who want to google, the technical name is the

"Canada-Ontario immigration agreement"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/policy/...005-agree.html

I personally havent seen anything further since it was lanched over a year ago with the promise of a pilot PNP scheme within 12 months.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 24th 2007 at 3:31 am.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007

Somebody's done a good job on that article, it actually sounds quite appealing when you start reading.
Ice fishing anyone?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:37 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Somebody's done a good job on that article, it actually sounds quite appealing when you start reading.
Ice fishing anyone?
Jeez....

"Today was an awesome day. We started off at dawn by scraping the snow and ice off the snowmobile. By noon we had almost thawed out the gasoline. Then we went ice fishing and caught two herring. Got home at 6pm and played 'defrost poppa and uncle John' til 9pm, ate raw herring for supper and went to bed. Tomorrow we're doing the same. Iqaluit is just great! "

Rich.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:24 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Kerry
Kerry,

Well as mentioned we can answer this question for you, without lots of answers to personnel questions.

For example

Do you want\need to be by the sea? ( Large Commerical water body, not all lakes have business on them).

Do you have a small or large Family? Housing, Schooling, After school programs.

Do you have particular hobbies you want to continue?

Do you need to have cheap flights to the UK?

Do you need City town rural isolation lifestyle?

Basically if you could step off the plane into your almost dream reality ( no millions in the bank) what is it you expect?

You don't have to visit anywhere first as you can eliminate most places once they don't fit your dream.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Kerry,

Well as mentioned we can answer this question for you, without lots of answers to personnel questions.

For example

Do you want\need to be by the sea? ( Large Commerical water body, not all lakes have business on them).

Do you have a small or large Family? Housing, Schooling, After school programs.

Do you have particular hobbies you want to continue?

Do you need to have cheap flights to the UK?

Do you need City town rural isolation lifestyle?

Basically if you could step off the plane into your almost dream reality ( no millions in the bank) what is it you expect?

You don't have to visit anywhere first as you can eliminate most places once they don't fit your dream.
Maybe you might want to consider making a checklist which includes all of the factors such as jobs, housing, recreation etc. and then rating each item according to you preference. That would be a good start.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Kerry
As a very generalised comment I'd just say that Canada is no different to anywhere else in that where the jobs are plentiful so the cost of housing is that much more expensive. It's doubtful you'll get everything that you're looking for but that depends on your budget, your assets and pontential for income.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies, I have been searching the internet since we came back from Canada in August. I have only ever been to Ontario (4 x) and have only just decided to set out of that particular box.

So many areas are appealing, sometimes I long for a calm quiet life , then I worry it will be boring. I am loving the excitement and not knowing which way to go. The one thing that is definate is I am not staying in England and it will be Canada that we go to.

I don't mind it not working out (it will be great if it does!) I do worry about wondering "what if"
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:43 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Which province?

Here's lots of information on Alberta:

http://www.gov.ab.ca/home/index.cfm?Page=1477
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Kerry

That's great that you already have a list of important factors to consider, I would also put them in priority order. For example looking for jobs and career may be your number one priority. Unless you want an exclusive private school, there are good schools everywhere so that perhaps wouldn't be a priority in choosing where you live. If you're really limited with finances for real estate, again that may be your top priority. And depending on your job preferences, Alberta seems to be booming at the moment and looking for immigrants.

There's so much info on the internet. You can't possibly visit the whole of the country to see where you may wish to settle. Do a google for other discussion forums where you will get info and also others opinions. Check out Canadian real estate websites (mls.ca is a great r/e website to start with), also settlement.org is a great website for Ontario info. Check out wikipedia.org, it's an online encyclopedia and just search the different provinces which give lots of info like transportation, cities, population, climate, things to do etc. From there you can click on links for further info. You just really need to do a lot of research.

I think if you post questions on any of the discussion boards it needs to be more specific. To ask the pros and cons of the provinces is much too general. Perhaps after all your research, narrow your choices down to say, 2 provinces with a few cities in mind, then ask specific questions. People are always happy to answer, but you need to be more specific.

Sorry for the long post! I spent months on the internet researching before finally deciding that we will settle in Toronto. Our priorities were a large city, job opportunities and climate, and then after that I looked into schooling, real estate and proximity to other cities. We narrowed it down to Vancouver or Toronto but decided Vancouver's weather didn't suit us - too much rain and too temperate year round. We want to experience the 4 seasons. Also we prefer Toronto as it's closer to more US cities for us to visit. If you sit down and think about what's important to you, you may even narrow your choices down before you start, making your research easier.

Happy reading! If you have any more questions I would be happy to help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.