Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pros and Cons of Emigrating to Canada from UK

Pros and Cons of Emigrating to Canada from UK

Old Jul 11th 2016, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pros and Cons of Emigrating to Canada from UK

Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:07 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Nah, shows over, we have all had a group cuddle and are BFFS again
Old Jul 12th 2016, 12:41 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think it's the way it's expressed. Plus Steve's habit of popping in every few days, dismissing opinions of others while giving the benefit of his wisdom and then disappearing again. It comes across as a bit annoying.

There's a lot of great American TV. It usually finds it's way onto British TV while there's a lot of great Brit TV that doesn't find its way onto North American TV.

There's a lot of great European TV that also finds its way onto British TV that either doesn't find its way onto American TV or gets remade to save the poor dears the trouble of reading subtitles.

Did you watch the French show Missing shown on the beeb? Loved it..
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Did you watch the French show Missing shown on the beeb? Loved it..
Do you mean BBC's The Missing (James Nesbitt) that took place in France? The kid who was taken?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:14 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean BBC's The Missing (James Nesbitt) that took place in France? The kid who was taken?
No... It was on Iplayer- we've literally just watched it.. It was in French, with subtitles..

I like how subtitles make you think you can understand more French than you can...
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

No... It was on Iplayer- we've literally just watched it.. It was in French, with subtitles..

I like how subtitles make you think you can understand more French than you can...

I'll have another look...couldn't see anything just now.

My MIL and the stepkids will sometimes speak French and I can often at least get the gist. Granted it's partly down to body language and the occasional word I recognise.

It amuses me when one asks something of the other and I pick up on it and repeat the request in English as if it's complete coincidence.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:25 am
Oscar nominated

Ah...you probably mean The Disappearance.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:32 am
Oscar nominated

Just downloaded the first two parts to check out.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tirytory;12000189]No... It was on Iplayer- we've literally just watched it.. It was in French, with subtitles..

I like how subtitles make you think you can understand more French than you can...[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth
Old Jul 12th 2016, 5:33 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Ah...you probably mean The Disappearance.
Ah that's the one! Often easier to find when you give the right title in the first place!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 5:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Woah... blast from the past!!!

Welcome back, stranger.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 11:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's the way it's expressed. Plus Steve's habit of popping in every few days, dismissing opinions of others while giving the benefit of his wisdom and then disappearing again. It comes across as a bit annoying.
It's called "having a life" I'm afraid. Like I said, I haven't got anything against BC particularly, my pet peeve is people making out it is somehow significantly better than the rest of Canada. It's not. I come across it all the time here, I think it's some sort of coping mechanism to get through the winter "I'll retire to BC". Where it's still pretty cold during the winter, or alternatively if you move to the Fraser Valley, you get huge amounts of rain. (While you're sitting in an endless traffic jam and paying for the privilege of doing so).

Don't ask me why that nurse said she'd seen so many people from BC at that clinic that day, no idea but my guess is that so many people moved here from BC they moved to be closer to their kids and the taxes are a bit lower.

while there's a lot of great Brit TV that doesn't find its way onto North American TV
Such as? I notice dbd33 did not provide an example. I suppose there's the odd BBC documentary that might not make it onto TV here but there isn't much.

Anyway, while I was away... I picked the number of USD$90,000 out of thin air and crunched the numbers on how much tax you would pay if you earned that much, i.e. including payroll taxes.

After taxes you would get:

Alberta: US$63,056 (assuming an exchange rate of 0.77)
UK: US$63,147 (assuming an exchange rate of 1.4)
US: $67,431 (not including State tax, which would apply in most States)

So in fact the difference between the UK and Alberta is tiny, at least at that income level but of course the UK has more taxes on other things, e.g. CGT is way higher, VAT is way higher, etc.

Btw, if you think I'm a bit annoying, you should meet me in person.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 11:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe this is the difference, I can understand French (well, well enough to watch TV that is in French) so I watch the French channels sometimes like TV5. Although honestly the movies that TF1 turns out are crap. They do have some okay documentaries though. French home reno shows are much more interesting because it's usually some old farmhouse made with stone or whatever they're doing up.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Such as? I notice dbd33 did not provide an example.
An example of Canadian TV being crap? Almost anything really but, if you want specific examples: Canadian Idol, Canada's Next Top Model, Real Housewives of Moosejaw, Little Mosque on the Prairie, Corner Gas. All except the last being lame localisations of programs from other countries. The last is local and lame.

Only Heartland offers hard hitting ethnically local drama and that, like all the rest, is rendered unwatchable by the constant advertisements.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:07 am
Oscar nominated

while there's a lot of great Brit TV that doesn't find its way onto North American TV
Originally Posted by Steve_
Such as?
I'm not sure it's worth giving examples but the first two shows I thought of were Happy Valley and Line of Duty. Neither of which went onto US TV other than Netflix and Hulu.

Another favourite from a couple of years ago was Utopia. I believe that didn't make it but HBO were going to make their own - why, heaven knows - but didn't.

Spooks was shown in the USA...renamed and edited to a shorter length and then they stopped taking it while other parts of the world carried on for the remaining 6 seasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.