Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Property tax fees on Condos in downtown Calgary

Property tax fees on Condos in downtown Calgary

Old May 21st 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Reathor has a spectacular aura aboutReathor has a spectacular aura aboutReathor has a spectacular aura about
Default Property tax fees on Condos in downtown Calgary

Hi all

Could someone please confirm that property taxes are not included in condo or apartment rental monthly rates. Does this work out that a Condo worth a $1 million downtown would be around $10000 a year for property tax ? So $1000 for every $100000 the property is worth ?

Just trying to assess costs atm.

Many thanks for any replies
Old May 21st 2009, 2:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property tax fees on Condos in downtown Calgary

Dont know about condos, but rentals nearly always include the propety taxes...

Generally in an expensive area with high average propery values the % tax rate is kept down to keep annual residential property taxes in the $2-5k range anyway... If you have an exceptionally expensive property in an area with lower average values, then you can expect to pay a more exceptional annual total.

I would expect your monthly condo fees (if not included in the rent) to be at least as much as the propery taxes?

Last edited by iaink; May 21st 2009 at 2:30 pm.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:28 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reathor
Hi all

Could someone please confirm that property taxes are not included in condo or apartment rental monthly rates. Does this work out that a Condo worth a $1 million downtown would be around $10000 a year for property tax ? So $1000 for every $100000 the property is worth ?

Originally Posted by iaink
Dont know about condos, but rentals nealy always include the propety taxes...

Generally in an expensive area with high average propery values the % tax rate is kept down to keep annual residential property taxes in the $2-5k range anyway... If you have an exceptionally expensive property in an area with lower average values, then you can expect to pay a more exceptional annual total.

I would expect your monthly condo fees to be at least as much as the propery taxes?
The answer depends which side you're approaching from.
The renter rarely has to pay any thing other than the monthly rental.
Many landlords in Calgary at the moment are having to take a hit on property taxes AND condo fees.
Old May 21st 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

danniek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Reathor
Hi all

As a general rule of thumb, your landlord will give you your rental rate and tell you if you have to pay for utilities. We have a number of rental properties, so I will give you an example of how one of mine works.

Property: Brick Townhouse in McKenzie Towne (Calgary)
Assessed at $340,000

The tenants that I have in that property pay me $1300 per month and they pay for their utilities. Their utilities consist of bills from Enmax, Atco Gas, Shaw Cable and Telus phone line.

As the landlord, I take a cheque from them for $1300 per month. In a perfect world, that 1300 would cover the mortgage, condo fees and property tax.

The tenant does not pay the condo fees directly, nor do they pay the property tax. That all gets debited from the owner of the property.

Hopefully that makes sense....
Old May 21st 2009, 4:38 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danniek
As a general rule of thumb, your landlord will give you your rental rate and tell you if you have to pay for utilities. We have a number of rental properties, so I will give you an example of how one of mine works.

Property: Brick Townhouse in McKenzie Towne (Calgary)
Assessed at $340,000

The tenants that I have in that property pay me $1300 per month and they pay for their utilities. Their utilities consist of bills from Enmax, Atco Gas, Shaw Cable and Telus phone line.

As the landlord, I take a cheque from them for $1300 per month. In a perfect world, that 1300 would cover the mortgage, condo fees and property tax.

The tenant does not pay the condo fees directly, nor do they pay the property tax. That all gets debited from the owner of the property.

Hopefully that makes sense....
Beautifully explained