Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Property masterclass Nova Scotia - No3 Septic Systems

Wikiposts

Property masterclass Nova Scotia - No3 Septic Systems

Old Dec 23rd 2007, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of
Default Property masterclass Nova Scotia - No3 Septic Systems

I'm no expert at all, quite the reverse, but I thought I would share my property experiences from top to bottom for anyone looking at property in Nova Scotia. I am not sure if what happens in Nova Scotia (or just here in the North Shore) is true of other areas but probably.

My experience of a septic tank in the UK did not put me in good stead to accept the use of a septic system here but it is very different.

First, if a septic system is not in place, you need to get septic approval. This costs around $1000 and has a time limit from approval to installation - I recall two years. If you are buying a piece of land that the Realtor has said is "septic approved" bear in mind this is included in the valuation - it is cheaper to buy a piece of land that hasn't yet received septic approval and make approval a condition of the sale.

Before you install a septic system you will also need a well to provide water.

There are composting eco-toilets but these need to meet regulations regarding distances from water in case of leakage. "Grey water" is considered to be as potentially infective as sewage or to contain damaging detergents and a septic system of some kind is needed in any case even if you compost the solid matter.

A septic system costs around $10000 and takes a week to dig out the land and install. The company carry out "perk" tests to evaluate what is needed and can "engineer" a system if a standard system will not work. These are more expensive though.

Recent rule changes in Nova Scotia mean you need a minimum of around 2 acres to get septic approval. This used to be an acre - the logic is that if a septic system fails there is room to build a new one. I personally think it is designed to prevent "postage stamp" size cottage lots proliferating. Again if you make septic approval a condition of sale you will not come unstuck. The exception to the above is if there is a "grandfather clause" where there has been historic agreement for a septic system.

A septic system will not need to be emptied or replaced for many years and when you purchase a property you can ask when it was installed and last emptied, or make emptying the septic before you move in a condition of sale. We did this merely because we did not like the thought of other peoples poo in our backyard - we also make visitors bring a bucket (just kidding but it shows the lack of reasoned thought!)

Our experience of the system has been good with it failing only once when a hurricaine leftover dropped a ton of rain within a few minutes. The effect is that the laundry sinks in the basement filled up with brown liquid and we could not flush or let water away for a few hours. It soon drained once the exit pipe in the soakaway returned to being above water level.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

SarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant future
Default Re: Property masterclass Nova Scotia - No3 Septic Systems

Hi,

These masterclasses are brilliant! We hope to move to Nova Scotia next summer. If you've got any more tips we'd love to hear them!

Sarah and David.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Property masterclass Nova Scotia - No3 Septic Systems

Hi Ontheboat - it would be great if you could start off a wiki on these -- I keep thinking of doing one for acreage life in general but its on the list after a couple of others!

Getting to grips with the differences in real estate here is one of those things that appears nerve-racking initially, but then most find it manageable when they get over. These master classses are just what's needed to get new peeps to Canada (and the perspective new arrivals) up to speed quickly.

Well done