property with land for horses

Wikiposts

property with land for horses

Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:36 am
Just Joined

arthurj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default property with land for horses

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good estate agent or realtor im looking for a property with land big enough for 2 horses so about 2-3 acres near calgary. Thanking you in advance.

Arthur
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: property with land for horses

http://www.realtor.ca/splash.aspx
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:26 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arthurj
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good estate agent or realtor im looking for a property with land big enough for 2 horses so about 2-3 acres near calgary. Thanking you in advance.

Arthur
I could point you in the direction of Many, how close to Calgary? Bear in mind we have at least two EXCELLENT Realtors who post on the Board. Have you checked the byelaws? 2-3 acres is barely enough land for two horses in many (including my) peoples opinions.

Butch
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I could point you in the direction of Many, how close to Calgary? Bear in mind we have at least two EXCELLENT Realtors who post on the Board. Have you checked the byelaws? 2-3 acres is barely enough land for two horses in many (including my) peoples opinions.

Butch
It's what you would go with in California or Buckinghamshire but not in Canada. That small space means no pasture, year round hay, lots of bother.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arthurj
Hi All,

Arthur
Hi Arthur,

I'm one of the several Realtors that contribute to these discussion boards and I live in Okotoks, near Calgary. If you wish, you can contact me via my website and I will try and assist.

Kind regards,

Eamonn.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:40 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's what you would go with in California or Buckinghamshire but not in Canada. That small space means no pasture, year round hay, lots of bother.
Certainly not in and around Calgary unless you had one hell of a f-off irrigation system and 'magic' pasture.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Certainly not in and around Calgary unless you had one hell of a f-off irrigation system and 'magic' pasture.
I suppose it's time, once again to recommend "Horsekeeping on a Small Acerage" by Cherry Hill. Had the book. Have the acerage.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

arabian77 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose it's time, once again to recommend "Horsekeeping on a Small Acerage" by Cherry Hill. Had the book. Have the acerage.
Hi there, same question as Arthurj but different location (and acreage), after property suitable for small scale equine purposes in the Edmonton area.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:53 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you look on MLS - search acreages in the areas you're after. Most of them will list if they are set up already for horses?

If you find it the one tip I would give you above all else is make sure that the place you water your horses is close enough to run power to so you can get a heater in the trough.

Hauling water in way below freezing temps is no fun.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Why don't you look on MLS - search acreages in the areas you're after. Most of them will list if they are set up already for horses?

If you find it the one tip I would give you above all else is make sure that the place you water your horses is close enough to run power to so you can get a heater in the trough.

Hauling water in way below freezing temps is no fun.
Hi,

Sorry for this very delayed thank you for the above.
Can you tell me if electric fencing in used in Canada? as i have some here and was thinking of shipping it over.

Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arabian77
Hi,

Can you tell me if electric fencing in used in Canada? as i have some here and was thinking of shipping it over.

Seen a few use electric fencing here in NS so would image the same would be for else where
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:23 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

No worries for the late reply.

You are moving in or around Edmonton right???

This is Alberta - some would use razor wire if it was cheap enough!!! Yes absolutely you can use electric fencing that costs next to nothing.

Most (not me) use barbed wire. I'm not a huge fan, as i'm sure you know horses tend to find ways to hurt themselves, and barbed wire is like a gift wrapped birthday present.

Check out UFA for most of your farm and acreage supplies, it will give you a good idea of costs over here. www.ufa.net
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
No worries for the late reply.

You are moving in or around Edmonton right???

This is Alberta - some would use razor wire if it was cheap enough!!! Yes absolutely you can use electric fencing that costs next to nothing.

Most (not me) use barbed wire. I'm not a huge fan, as i'm sure you know horses tend to find ways to hurt themselves, and barbed wire is like a gift wrapped birthday present.

Check out UFA for most of your farm and acreage supplies, it will give you a good idea of costs over here. www.ufa.net
Thanks for this additional info. Yes we are hopefully moving to Edmonton (just going through the immigration process now) I'll check out the website as it may be cheaper for me to buy over there.
I am also not a fan off barbed wire fencing.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:42 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Thanks for this additional info. Yes we are hopefully moving to Edmonton (just going through the immigration process now) I'll check out the website as it may be cheaper for me to buy over there.
I am also not a fan off barbed wire fencing.
You'll find in general the Canadian attitude to horses is very different to the British. I suppose its because in the UK to own a horse is a luxury, here every farm boy and his dog own them, they are expendable and cheap, meant primarily for working / competing (more Rodeo but there is a big English scene )