Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Property Crash in Canada is worsening

Property Crash in Canada is worsening

Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:13 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Crash in Canada is worsening

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Whether or not your forecasts of prices prove to be realistic you are completely missing the point I was making about interest rates. In Canada, the amount you can borrow for a mortgage is a function of both your income and your debt repayment load. At a 6% mortgage rate the family earning $100,000 pa, with $50,000 down payment, can afford a home up to $425,000, at 4.5% (now available from ING) they can pay $500,000, at 2.5% (not unimaginable) the price they can pay increases to $640,000.

One of the downsides of the mortgage system here is that in times of low interest rates home buyers tend/are encouraged to buy too much house for their present and potential earning capacity. Back in the early 1980's, I think it was, interest rates here soared as high as 22% for mortgages. Many whose mortgages matured/came up for renewal during this period experienced mortgage repayments doubling and tripling. Needless to say the sale market was virtually non-existent and many of those renewing lost their homes. I think the lenders and the purchasers are both at fault for being loose lenders and over-buying public.
Exactly. This looks to me like the higher multiples of earnings issue in a different guise that caused the skewing of UK house prices. But it's different in Canada

Although I have only followed the Vancouver property market for a few years I know that we could not afford to buy at the peak in 2007 anything like what we could have in 2003 when our intensive pre-move research started. Cheaper repayments because of low interest rates, unless guaranteed for the full term of the loan, would not change my choices. Perhaps I'm just not Canadian enough yet and everybody else who wants or needs to live here will think differently and continue to pay prices that have the potential to ruin them financially.

I have no insight into the minds of the truly wealthy international movers and shakers but I am sure that the top end of the market for desirable property in desirable areas (West Vancouver ocean front) will function quite differently to property in East Vancouver where regular folks such as my colleagues actually live. I do question how many truly wealthy overseas individuals are still waiting to invest in Vancouver though. Is the easy-in investor visa still available for people who can buy a half million dollar property?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:32 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am not buying or selling so I couldnt give a rats fart about the state of the Vancouver cooling hothouse real estate market

I cannot figure out why so many people want to live so close together.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Well I am not buying or selling so I couldnt give a rats fart about the state of the Vancouver cooling hothouse real estate market

I cannot figure out why so many people want to live so close together.
And, of course, it is all academic, generally speaking, even if you are moving country it is a question of sell low, buy low. Now, exchange rates, that is a different issue.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I must be looking in all the wrong places, because i can't find these cheap houses in Vancouver..
jerry