Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Proof of Residence/Address. Can I use a hotel?

Proof of Residence/Address. Can I use a hotel?

Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:45 am
Just Joined

chindonciaobella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of Residence/Address. Can I use a hotel?

Hello to the forum. I would appreciate some urgent advice about proof of address for school registration and obtaining a drivers licence.
We arrive Calgary in 2 weeks and our arranged rental has fallen through.
As an emergency I have booked a hotel for 2 weeks. We have a 5 year old starting school and need to get her registered at the admissions centre for non-Canadians. We also need to exchange our UK drivers licences. Both will require us to provide proof of address in Calgary. Can I use a hotel address as we have nowhere else to stay? I have emailed a few landlords but have had no positive responses. Would appreciate any advice.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of Residence/Address. Can I use a hotel?

For the drivers license, it looks like you can drive on the UK license for up to a year.

For schools (in BC at least), they required a signed lease agreement as the school you go to is based on catchment area. A hotel address will not do for the schools.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had a look at AirBnB?

Probably a better option than a hotel anyway.

Should be no need to exchange your UK licence immediately - you've got 90 days (I think??) ?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:01 am
Just Joined

chindonciaobella is an unknown quantity at this point

bc2015 and withabix. Thank you both for the advice. We have paid for a car and the dealer says to get registered and collected we need to exchange our licences/obtain insurance and the dealership can then process our car registration? Is this information incorrect? Or can we collect the car with a UK licence? Thanks again.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:15 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

You need a local license, we hit this exact problem. My wife hadn't updated her UK license to her married name so they wouldn't accept it, as it didn't match her PR, so we had to register her car in my name.

Originally Posted by chindonciaobella
bc2015 and withabix. Thank you both for the advice. We have paid for a car and the dealer says to get registered and collected we need to exchange our licences/obtain insurance and the dealership can then process our car registration? Is this information incorrect? Or can we collect the car with a UK licence? Thanks again.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point

When we bought a car we only had our uk licenses and it was no problem, we showed our passports also, bought the car, insured it and drove away the same day....We used our holiday rental as our address as it was the area that we were moving to anyway, as it makes a difference what address you put as the prices will differ for areas, then changed it to our permanent address when we moved a few weeks later. Also hubby was using our vehicle to go to work in so that bumped the price up also, but when hubby finished worked for good we changed the insurance back to personal use only and got a refund...

Last edited by shazza69; Aug 17th 2015 at 5:20 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:38 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chindonciaobella
I can only speak for my experience in BC - and it was a few years ago now - but I bought our first car before I had exchanged my licence. No issues for me.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:19 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting points- I should qualify our experience was in Ontario.