Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Proof of funds and ontario driving licence

Proof of funds and ontario driving licence

Old Jan 20th 2002, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

hopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly I apologise if the questions I am asking have been posted before, but I have'nt seen any for a while.

Is a bankers draft drawn on a major bank in Canada acceptable as proof of funds? Does anyone have any experience of opening an account in Canada from the UK?How long does a bankers draft take to clear?

Secondly, I have a UK driving licence, does anyone know about changing it to an Ontario licence? Do we have to sit another driving test?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 20th 2002, 11:53 pm
The Wizzard

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

from previous posts i gather you can present bank statments as proof of funds. im not
sure about the bank, i have a joint one with my wife in Canada, but havent opened my
own, but i tihnk you can have one even as a non resident. i tihnk peopel have more
issues with credit than the actual account its self. i have no idea about bank drafts
im afraid.
    >
    >
    >

ah yes, im not looking forward to this one when i move, hehe, i hate driving tests.
unfortunately we do indeed have to take a test. Ontario has a graduated liscensing
system. written test gets you G1 which is like your most basic learner, always
acompanied by qualified driver cant drive on highways and at night etc. then you take
a practical test to get the G2 lisence, which is like the G1 but with more
privilages, like you can drive alone within certain hours, 0 tolerance for alcohol in
blood cant drive on 400 series highways etc. then a final test get syou a full G car
lisence with full driving privelages.there is a time period before you can take each
6-8 months i think. So when we come with our UK one we have 60 days i believe of
being able to use our UK one as a tourist might, then we are required to get an
Ontario one as a new resident. you have to surrender your UK one, then if you have 2
years or more experience and a clean lisence you can take the written test and the
test for a full G straight away and if you pass you get your G lisence and your UK
one back. if you fail you can get a G1 and then re schedule your full test without
waiting the qualifing period and hopefuly pass taht time, otherwise i tihnk its back
onto the regular graduation scheme and you dont get your UK one back till you pass so
you cant go around driving once you have proven youc ant drive there hehe. i have
read that its not too hard and we should be ok passing it. still bugs me we only get
those 60 days i doubt ill have enough money in that time to buy a car or pay for
lessons etc, so just have to see how that works.

Drew

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Jan 21st 2002, 1:13 am
Paul Cook

[usenetquote2]> > Firstly I apologise if the questions I am asking have been posted before, but I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have'nt seen any for a while.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Is a bankers draft drawn on a major bank in Canada acceptable as proof of funds?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Does anyone have any experience of opening an account in Canada from the UK?How[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > long does a bankers draft take to clear?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Secondly, I have a UK driving licence, does anyone know about changing it to an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Ontario licence? Do we have to sit another driving test?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

There is a book very similar to 'The Highway Code' that I suggest you buy or borrow.
You get them at any driving centre. I did not have to surrender my UK licence, but
that was 3 years ago. You can just turn up to do the written (20 multiguess test
questions) and have the eye test for a small fee. The practical driving test you must
book. I had to travel quite a way to get a test booked that wasn't in 2 months time.
They were very busy. So I suggest doing all this and scheduling a test as soon as you
can, or at least check to see if they are booked up.

Good Luck

Paul Cook

Old Jan 21st 2002, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Calv25 is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Try Citibank... With latest bank statement and cash withdrawal card is okey as settlement fund.

2. Tough luck... I have a UK, Australia and Malaysia driving license with 12 years of driving experience, Guess what, I flop on the conversion! it aint that easy with Ontario.. They are very specific on things you have to do (according to the papers).. My suggestion, go for a driving school... Don't even try to go straight for the G test as it will cost you double when you flop (you gonna repeat both G2 and G test and lots of inconveniences i.e. get a 'experience' driver with 4 years driving skill, rent your own car and make a booking......Don Mill at Toronto could get you right onto the front of queue.) And No, I never surrender my driving license to them.. and that was 2 months ago...
Old Jan 21st 2002, 7:03 pm
News

I can second this experience. When taking the road test, they are very difficult. It
took me three attempts to get my G license. My advise would be to take an hour course
with a driving school to prepare for the test. $40 spent there might save more money
than retaking the test. I wish I did. :->

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 22nd 2002, 8:38 pm
Paul Cook

>
    >
be
    >
    >
    >

I actually found it very easy. However I did speak with my girlfriends 89 year old
grandfather who has to take a test each year. (He's still driving now at 93!) He told
me all the things they like to see in the test, and their pet peeves. If you don't
have access to your own 89 year old, an hour with a driving school is a good idea.

Paul