Reload this Page >

Professional job on WHV

Professional job on WHV

Old May 19th 2009, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

radonaldson54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Professional job on WHV

Hi guys,

I've searched but couldn't find this topic. Does anyone know what the work opportunities are like for a person on a BUNAC working holiday visa are in Vancouver? Specifically, finding some contract (or otherwise) work in the IT area? I have a masters from Cambridge and an undergrad in computing science. I've got just under 2 years' experience. Is this a reasonable thing to do? -- Ie, go and work in unskilled work in hopes of finding a job related to my profession? Or should I stick to my home country, the UK?

Cheers!
Old May 19th 2009, 10:15 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional job on WHV

Originally Posted by radonaldson54
Hi guys,

I've searched but couldn't find this topic. Does anyone know what the work opportunities are like for a person on a BUNAC working holiday visa are in Vancouver? Specifically, finding some contract (or otherwise) work in the IT area? I have a masters from Cambridge and an undergrad in computing science. I've got just under 2 years' experience. Is this a reasonable thing to do? -- Ie, go and work in unskilled work in hopes of finding a job related to my profession? Or should I stick to my home country, the UK?

Cheers!
If you're looking to further your career, then you'll be better off to stay in the UK. If you're looking for a years working holiday, with off chance of getting professional work instead of the usual bar/ski jobs then go for it....

I came here on BUNAC and found plenty of professional contract work in my area (accounting & finance). Best thing to do is speak with recruiting agencies and companies directly to see what your chances are.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:24 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I have a mate who works for Petro Canada with a WHV on a aussie passport.

Having said that the WHV on the Aussie passport is renewable and 2 years unlimited.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Weebie
I have a mate who works for Petro Canada with a WHV on a aussie passport.

Having said that the WHV on the Aussie passport is renewable and 2 years unlimited.
It's excellent isn't it

I'm hoping to land a job within my field (banking) - just a shame its an industry no doubt inundated with redundant employees so an employers market, doh!
Old May 20th 2009, 10:59 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah I activited it back in March but i'll wait 2 years when things pick up and re-apply for it again!
Old May 20th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Weebie
Yeah I activited it back in March but i'll wait 2 years when things pick up and re-apply for it again!
I was hesitant too but I have to activate before Oct - so I've bitten the bullet and have given my notice (but will be going on a career break) and am going to do two years over there... if it works out I'll just renew it if not just return back to Aust.

What area did you have in mind?
Old May 20th 2009, 11:35 am
Banned

I followed a girl to Calgary which didn't work out but as a second prize i fell in love with canada so either Calgary or Vancouver.

I also have a US passport which i qualified for through my American parents so that is also an option I have but overall I want canada...its awesome really enjoyed it.

I'm from Perth but I live in Melbourne atm.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

awesome mate, i read in the other thread that you were success in obtaining employment too! (sucks about them pulling the pin though)

i wish i could get a job before arriving, wishful thinking though i guess

i'm in brisbane so i'd love to move to vancouver because im not sure how im going to go from beautiful weather to freezing cold 9 months of the year lol however for work, ill probably have to go to toronto but i'd also love to learn french and be immersed in their culture so i'd love gatineau/montreal/quebec city too!

decisions decisions!!