Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Problem with NatWest please help

Problem with NatWest please help

Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with NatWest please help

Originally Posted by Becki567
That helps tremendously!!
Glad to hear it
As for the missing mail it makes no sense to us either. The bank claimed they had no address on file to send any mail to but the debt collector went to his parents house. Which is where he lived before moving.
This still makes no sense :-( Unless the bank sent out correspondence by mail which was returned "undeliverable", for whatever reason

I have to say I am fairly certain in Canada a collector could not just show up at your house. I don't know for sure because I have never been to collections but it seems so bizarre.
They can. They do. Whether it is legal or not possibly depends on your province, but I think it's a Federal Law. See my previous message on how to deal with them. I.e. Once you inform them in writing to only contact you in writing, they have to do so. Some debt collection agencies here will go to very nasty, illegal lengths to intimidate, regardless of the law.
Having said all the above, I have semi-regular dealings with the NatWest from Canada, & given how nitpicking they have been with me, I find it very surprising that they would allow an account with no address :-(
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

That helps tremendously!!

As for the missing mail it makes no sense to us either. The bank claimed they had no address on file to send any mail to but the debt collector went to his parents house. Which is where he lived before moving.

I have to say I am fairly certain in Canada a collector could not just show up at your house. I don't know for sure because I have never been to collections but it seems so bizarre.
Depends on your province. It is illegal in BC for a debt collector not registered in BC to try and collect in BC. Saying that, nothing stopping them phoning, just block their number if they call. A collections agency has to write to you before calling as well.

http://consumerprotectionbc.ca/consu...onsumer-rights

Unless the debt is large, they will do no more than phone. Once you tell them not to phone, if they continue to do so, they could lose their license if you complain. We don't use collection agencies at all, they have no more power than a few phone calls. We go straight to small claims or supreme, depending on where the debt is and the size of it. For $1000 it would go to small claims.

In the UK debt collection is regulated by the Office of Fair Trading. Only their practices, not debts.

From a legitimate debt perspective, unless you have something to prove and back up what you say, it seems you are stuck with it.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Becki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Depends on your province. It is illegal in BC for a debt collector not registered in BC to try and collect in BC. Saying that, nothing stopping them phoning, just block their number if they call. A collections agency has to write to you before calling as well.

http://consumerprotectionbc.ca/consu...onsumer-rights

Unless the debt is large, they will do no more than phone. Once you tell them not to phone, if they continue to do so, they could lose their license if you complain. We don't use collection agencies at all, they have no more power than a few phone calls. We go straight to small claims or supreme, depending on where the debt is and the size of it. For $1000 it would go to small claims.

In the UK debt collection is regulated by the Office of Fair Trading. Only their practices, not debts.

From a legitimate debt perspective, unless you have something to prove and back up what you say, it seems you are stuck with it.
And I do realize we may have to suck it up and pay, but it would be easier if they would stop charging interest while we do so.

They wouldn't even give us that! So we have to pay £90 a month just in fees and above that to try and pay it down is going to be impossible
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:32 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Email the office of fair trade and any other groups that may help. Make one letter up and paste it daily to everyone, take out the numbers and names and post it on NW Facebook page. I am sure a reply will be along before the next 90 quid comes out

possible contacts, seen on consumeraction site.. not sure how up to date it is though..

try:

firstname.surname @ natwest.com

John Cunnane
Manager
Customer Relations Unit - Depot Code 040
225 Shenley Road, Borehamwood, WD6 1TE
External: 020 8236 8007
Internal: 4040 8007
Fax: 020 8236 8010

Nigel Owen
Media Relations Manager - Natwest
020 7672 1932 / 0776 642 0981
020 7672 1934

Caroline Harris 020 7 672 1931

Customer.Relations@natwes t.com

Last edited by magnumpi; Feb 1st 2014 at 7:40 pm. Reason: Found stuff
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

And I do realize we may have to suck it up and pay, but it would be easier if they would stop charging interest while we do so.

They wouldn't even give us that! So we have to pay £90 a month just in fees and above that to try and pay it down is going to be impossible
Getting a loan or line of credit to pay it off will likely be cheaper in the long run and easier on the mind.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Becki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Email the office of fair trade and any other groups that may help. Make one letter up and paste it daily to everyone, take out the numbers and names and post it on NW Facebook page. I am sure a reply will be along before the next 90 quid comes out

possible contacts, seen on consumeraction site.. not sure how up to date it is though..

try:

firstname.surname @ natwest.com

John Cunnane
Manager
Customer Relations Unit - Depot Code 040
225 Shenley Road, Borehamwood, WD6 1TE
External: 020 8236 8007
Internal: 4040 8007
Fax: 020 8236 8010

Nigel Owen
Media Relations Manager - Natwest
020 7672 1932 / 0776 642 0981
020 7672 1934

Caroline Harris 020 7 672 1931

Customer.Relations@natwes t.com
Thanks so much. I really appreciate this help
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi
The OFT won't do anything if it is a legitimate debt and within the terms of the account.

Facebook sometimes works, one needs to be careful what one says.

Bottom line, the OP is relying in the benevolence of the bank.

Another option would be to write to a senior executive of the bank rather than one of the phone operators, or try the call centre and speak to a supervisor.

I had a 12 month spat with an alarm company, perseverance paid of, but then I was not accumulating £90 a month of additional debt.

If a customer owes money within the terms of an agreement, I would always seek restitution.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:46 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I gave my bank an address in Canada and have had no problems so far - no bank fees, account closed due to dormancy etc. I once walked in to a NatWest branch to convert some old £20 notes and they turned me away rudely. The Barclays branch I went to were far more helpful.

I've dealt with Canadian collection agencies while in the UK regarding Canadian student loans - not fun. I've not heard of them sending collection agents to the debtor's home though.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by jandro
I've dealt with Canadian collection agencies while in the UK regarding Canadian student loans
Pretty straightforward, ask for their license number, tell them to contact you only in writing and all you'll get is letters (or nothing).
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Here is my thought as a business. And I may be off track but I would like two ways: yes they don't care about pissing him off two much because they won't be expecting future business from him since he lives in another country.

But on the other hand, wouldn't it be in their best interest to try and recover some?
Making it impossible with continuing fees doesn't help them either. Ultimately people pay debt for moral reasons and to maintain good credit.

The more unreasonable they are being the less I am morally feeling the desire to pay them and two he doesn't really care about UK credit rating since he will never live there again.

So if I was business yea I could go to court apparently and get a full judgement but if they can't collect from him in Canada then they are still out all the fees.

Or they could try and be reasonable and get a good portion of the bank fees.

If I were a business I think I know what option I would pick.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:34 pm

If I were a business I think I know what option I would pick.
They could also set a precedent, make their terms and conditions pointless and have everyone around look for debt forgiveness. Sometimes better to set an example than a precedent.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming everything happened as the OP has described, this is the bank's fault. Either:

a) This Miles chappie mislead mislead the OP's husband or:
b) he failed to do what he said he was going to do.

I don't think the OP's husband has any moral obligation to pay a penny. In fact, he should demand his £100 back.

All bank charges can be waived. Even legitimate ones. It just needs someone who has the authority and motivation to do so. Start by writing, calmly and politely, to the area manager. Explain why this "debt" has arisen through the fault of a bank employee. Ask for the £100 back. Tell them that, as a matter of principle, you are not going to pay for their employee's negligence. Tell them you are prepared to escalate this by any means available to you until you get satisfaction. Tell that that you will be happy to let others judge the merits of your position.

If you don't get satisfaction write to the area manager's boss. And their boss and so on up to board level. Carry out your threats by posting copies of your letters and their responses online (though do be careful about what you say). Send copies to local newspapers. Consider TV consumer programs. Be a right royal PIA. At some point someone in the bank will decide it is all more bother than it's worth.

Alternately, you can decide life is to short for this kind of crap and pay up to make it go away.

In either case tell the debt collectors (politely and in writing) to go **** themselves.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Hi,

I'm not pretending to know anything about banking, but I know they must have a relevant ombudsman and regulatory body. Would it help to contact them? Just a thought.

Good luck

P.S. Saw a sign today that said: Want to know what God thinks of money; just look who he gave it to.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maplease
Hi,

I'm not pretending to know anything about banking, but I know they must have a relevant ombudsman and regulatory body. Would it help to contact them? Just a thought.
The most sensible suggestion so far ...
Old Feb 1st 2014, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Becki, you have received a lot of good advice here. I suggest it is time to act on it. Not you, the person who is allegedly being pursued for debt.

It will not cost a penny, for the moment, as the putative debt in question is far too small for international proceedings.

Never say never, regarding an eventual return to the UK, & at least try, in writing, to sort it out.

Good luck! :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.