Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Private pensions

Private pensions

Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private pensions

Originally Posted by JonboyE
^^^

Has to be the best advice. The only caveat is that a professional financial advisor has a financial interest in your pension. It is always good to understand how they are going to earn from the advice they give. In the UK I much prefer to pay a fee for service rather than be commission based. That option does not seem to be generally available in the UK.

Keeping pension funds in both countries can act as a hedge against one economy outperforming the other. If you have a long time to retirement that is probably not a bad idea. However, as you get nearer to collecting your pension the flexibility offered by the RRSP/RIFF rules seems very attractive compared to the options available in Canada.

I have a modest amount in a private money purchase scheme in the UK. On retirement (which is getting close enough to start thinking about seriously) I will have to buy an annuity with the capital value. Annuity rates suck. I can shop around but even the very best rates suck. There is a little flexibility in that, in addition to a flat rate annuity based on my life, I could chose one that rises with inflation, or one that continues to pay to my OH after my death. If the rates for a straight annuity suck the rates for these options will make you weep.

In contrast you do not have to withdraw funds from an RRSP until you chose to do so, therefore there are plenty of opportunities to do some tax planning. At 71 years old you have to collapse the RRSP but you can transfer to a RIFF which protects the funds tax exempt status. Although you must bring the value of the RIFF into your taxable income in stages over 15 years you have deferred some of the tax into your 90s when you are unlikely have much other income.

The other big advantage of an RRSP/RIFF is that if you die the funds roll over to your spouse tax free. With a straight annuity if you walk under a bus at aged 60 + one day then you retirement saving are lost forever.

Hopefully the exchange rate will improve a bit over the next few years and this will make it more attractive to bring the funds over. Also, there is a cost to do this. About 3% of the total funds IIRC.
As per usual, very good advice.

The avoidance of having to purchase an annuity and the flexibility of RRSPs is, perhaps, the best reason to transfer an English pension. I appreciate that this may not be a viable option at the moment due to the poor exchange rate, but holding out for a better one may prove fruitless as well.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

^^^

Has to be the best advice. The only caveat is that a professional financial advisor has a financial interest in your pension. It is always good to understand how they are going to earn from the advice they give. In the UK I much prefer to pay a fee for service rather than be commission based. That option does not seem to be generally available in the UK.

Keeping pension funds in both countries can act as a hedge against one economy outperforming the other. If you have a long time to retirement that is probably not a bad idea. However, as you get nearer to collecting your pension the flexibility offered by the RRSP/RIFF rules seems very attractive compared to the options available in Canada.

I have a modest amount in a private money purchase scheme in the UK. On retirement (which is getting close enough to start thinking about seriously) I will have to buy an annuity with the capital value. Annuity rates suck. I can shop around but even the very best rates suck. There is a little flexibility in that, in addition to a flat rate annuity based on my life, I could chose one that rises with inflation, or one that continues to pay to my OH after my death. If the rates for a straight annuity suck the rates for these options will make you weep.

In contrast you do not have to withdraw funds from an RRSP until you chose to do so, therefore there are plenty of opportunities to do some tax planning. At 71 years old you have to collapse the RRSP but you can transfer to a RIFF which protects the funds tax exempt status. Although you must bring the value of the RIFF into your taxable income in stages over 15 years you have deferred some of the tax into your 90s when you are unlikely have much other income.

The other big advantage of an RRSP/RIFF is that if you die the funds roll over to your spouse tax free. With a straight annuity if you walk under a bus at aged 60 + one day then you retirement saving are lost forever.

Hopefully the exchange rate will improve a bit over the next few years and this will make it more attractive to bring the funds over. Also, there is a cost to do this. About 3% of the total funds IIRC.

I think the highlighted bit is supposed to read: "the flexibility offered by the RRSP/RIFF rules seems very attractive compared to the options available in England." No?

I would agree with all you posted, although a final salary scheme supposedly gives you more guarantee over what will be paid out. That's assuming the scheme doesn't collapse though. I have a relatively high level of confidence that mine will remain funded. Probably misplaced.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I think the highlighted bit is supposed to read: "the flexibility offered by the RRSP/RIFF rules seems very attractive compared to the options available in England." No?
Yup. Now edited. Thanks.

And the first paragraph should have read "generally available in Canada". Got me Canadas and UKs mixed up.

Last edited by JonboyE; Oct 14th 2010 at 5:42 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Nice. I always assumed final salary pensions were based on time served and/or accrual rate so if somebody left after a few years they'd only be eligible for a % of salary at leaving date. That said, i'm a pension retard so i'm only guessing.
I think you are right they are based on a % of final salary. The % is determined by time served.

My scheme was 80ths (plus small lump sum). Really good schemes were 60ths. So if you served 40 yrs in an 80th scheme you would retire on 50% final salary, in a 60th , 2/3rds of your final salary
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
I think you are right they are based on a % of final salary. The % is determined by time served.

My scheme was 80ths (plus small lump sum). Really good schemes were 60ths. So if you served 40 yrs in an 80th scheme you would retire on 50% final salary, in a 60th , 2/3rds of your final salary
I think you are right. And just a reminder to everyone that although many pensions schemes offer a "tax free" lump sum on retirement it is not tax free in Canada.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea

That's correct. From memory, the scheme I was in for the longest was 63rd's of final salary.

I think you are right. And just a reminder to everyone that although many pensions schemes offer a "tax free" lump sum on retirement it is not tax free in Canada.
Point worth noting!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

The original question related to a 'Final Salary' Scheme. The arguments for and against transferring these are completely different to money Purchase arrangements.

The only real reason to transfer a Final Salary Pension into a QROPS is if there are doubts as to the companies ability to honour the agreement. FS Schemes are essentially based on years service and average salary at the point of leaving the scheme. a 60th Scheme will usually pay 1/60th for every years service, some of which can be commuted for a lump sum. An 80th Scheme will pay 1/80th for every years service Plus a lump sum. They are usually very similar when you do the maths.

The pension you get is usually increased annually to account for inflation and not dependent on stock markets or investment performance.

Often there are additional guarantees for spouses on death which are also index linked.

Once you transfer the cash equivalent to a QROPS, you rely on investment performance. In most cases you would need to be very aggressive in your investment approach (Which means more risk) to match what you would have had in your final salary scheme. Not usually recommended for pension planning, certainly in the years up to retirement.

A Guaranteed pension of $10,000 increasing by say 3% per year, means that guarantee of $13,439 in 10 years time and $18,060 in 20 years time. Inflation is a factor which is often not appreciated.

Don't be fooled by what might appear to be a large cash transfer value. Its in the interests of the schemes for you to leave as it reduces their long term liabilities.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
The original question related to a 'Final Salary' Scheme. The arguments for and against transferring these are completely different to money Purchase arrangements..
A very fair point.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

The original question related to a 'Final Salary' Scheme.

<snip>

Once you transfer the cash equivalent to a QROPS, you rely on investment performance. In most cases you would need to be very aggressive in your investment approach (Which means more risk) to match what you would have had in your final salary scheme. Not usually recommended for pension planning, certainly in the years up to retirement.

A Guaranteed pension of $10,000 increasing by say 3% per year, means that guarantee of $13,439 in 10 years time and $18,060 in 20 years time. Inflation is a factor which is often not appreciated.

Don't be fooled by what might appear to be a large cash transfer value. Its in the interests of the schemes for you to leave as it reduces their long term liabilities.
Good points and essentially the reasons why I have left and at this point plan to retain, my final salary schemes in the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Chancey is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, plenty to take into consideration. Some good advice too thanks for your responses
Annette
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Pensions can be transferred into non-locked in plans. It depends on the actual QROPS.

There are QROPS investment companies with funds will guarantee the higher of a 5% return or the market return (based on investments chosen) if the client stays invested in the programme. These programmes also guarantee an income of 5% for life (or a higher market return based on investment return) or 7% for 14 years on retirement at age 65.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

Caveat Emptor on these. If it looks to good to be true, it usually is. These kinds of guarantees are available within various investments. Not just QROPS. Invariably you pay for these guarantees one way or the other. Usually as a charge on the fund. This effects the ability to sustain increased income in line with inflation or reduces the fund. I have rarely seen any 'Guaranteed' Investments which offer value for money. This kind of investment is only suitable for risk averse investors, which if thats the case should not be transferring from a Final Salary Scheme in the first place.

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Pensions can be transferred into non-locked in plans. It depends on the actual QROPS.

There are QROPS investment companies with funds will guarantee the higher of a 5% return or the market return (based on investments chosen) if the client stays invested in the programme. These programmes also guarantee an income of 5% for life (or a higher market return based on investment return) or 7% for 14 years on retirement at age 65.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Atlantic Xpat;8918628]I think the highlighted bit is supposed to read: "the flexibility offered by the RRSP/RIFF rules seems very attractive compared to the options available in England." No?

The options for transferring a UK pension still restricts how the UK pension can be paid. A QROPS can offer up to 30% Tax Free Cash and Withdrawal levels up to 120% of a UK Single Life Annuity. A RRIF or LLIF have to pay a minimum income. The Locked in version also has a maximum. Anyhow, it should be a registered QROPS scheme before the UK will release it. Bear in mind also that there is no such thing as a tax free lump sum in Canada. All income from any pension is taxed.

In the UK you have an Income Drawdown option which has no minimum, but does have a maximum to prevent the fund being depleted too quickly. This maximum is based on GAD rules, but you also get to keep the fund on death. The only current clear downside in the UK is that you have to convert to annuity at age 75.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Caveat Emptor on these. If it looks to good to be true, it usually is. These kinds of guarantees are available within various investments. Not just QROPS. Invariably you pay for these guarantees one way or the other. Usually as a charge on the fund. This effects the ability to sustain increased income in line with inflation or reduces the fund. I have rarely seen any 'Guaranteed' Investments which offer value for money. This kind of investment is only suitable for risk averse investors, which if thats the case should not be transferring from a Final Salary Scheme in the first place.
Of course they are available within different funds! That's why they are available as QROPS!

Of course you pay a little bit: but if you want a minimum return of 5% you can get it.

Of course this kind of investment is for risk averse investors - that's why they exist.

However: there are lots of different kinds of risks. For instance: Currency. Tax handling. Control. Collapse of a pension plan.

That's why no one answer is always correct.

The answer depends on what risks the individual wants to avoid, and what risks that individual is willing to take on board.

However, there are lots of products out there that mitigate all different kinds of risks.

Last edited by triumphguy; Oct 15th 2010 at 4:18 am.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:25 am
Just Joined

tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been living in Spain now for 5 years, around 1 year ago I transfered my pension from the UK into QROPS scheme.

It all went very smoothley, 25% cash tax free if you require and the rest in a capital secured investment... all done at very low fees.

Why did I do it, as soon as you release the pension ionto a Trust, I become the beneficiary of all of the funds... So if I get run over by a big red bus my family benefit from it, this is not the case if it is left in the pension fund in the UK... My investment even though capital protected has also beaten my old providers performance...

Overall I am very happy and would be pleased to recommend the company that helped me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.