Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Primark equivalent in Canada

Primark equivalent in Canada

Old Jul 28th 2019, 1:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primark equivalent in Canada

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is GT not allowed in BC?
What would dis-allow them? The GT business model requires low rent in areas where they can get a decent share of the market. If they can't put enough stores in proximity in the right place, it won't be economical to deliver merchandise to them. Their expansion to over 240 stores was helped by Target and Sears shutting down, but there's still a lot of competition out there. A smaller city in BC that already has 2 big grocery stores, a dollar store, Mark's Work Wearhouse and a Bargain Shop or Red Apple isn't going to look promising from a profit perspective, and so won't appeal to potential franchise buyers.

Old Jul 28th 2019, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arego
Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and new to Canada. I live in GTA. Was wondering if there was a clothing store in Canada like we had Primark in the UK. Thanks a ton.
They have opened shops in the US...Canada will probably follow as H&M did. It’s just a question of time.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 3:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
What would dis-allow them?
I don't know. But when you look at their stores on the map and see them all the way across Canada from NS and PEI (but not Newfoundland) in every province and they suddenly stop in Alberta it just looks a bit funny. Almost as if there might be a reason like business practice frowned upon by the province. Or some sort of business tax that makes GT want to stay away.
A smaller city in BC that already has 2 big grocery stores, a dollar store, Mark's Work Wearhouse and a Bargain Shop or Red Apple isn't going to look promising from a profit perspective, and so won't appeal to potential franchise buyers.
Moncton's not that big, we have those (although I don't know what Red Apple is) and GT recently opened up a second store here. Fredericton has two and one just outside.

Hard to believe nowhere in BC compares to the places hosting 240 stores. Perhaps they expanded outwards and just haven't reached BC yet.

Ooh...despite there being no GT locations in BC, it appears there is one after all in Cranbrook.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 4:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. But when you look at their stores on the map and see them all the way across Canada from NS and PEI (but not Newfoundland) in every province and they suddenly stop in Alberta it just looks a bit funny. Almost as if there might be a reason like business practice frowned upon by the province. Or some sort of business tax that makes GT want to stay away
Here, I'll paste a link for you to read.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...tors-fade.html
Old Jul 28th 2019, 4:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Here, I'll paste a link for you to read.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...tors-fade.html
Yep I already read t hat.
There are now Giant Tigers in every Canadian province except British Columbia and Newfoundland and Labrador. There are Giant Tiger stores in Scarborough, Mississauga and Brampton, and the chain would not rule out a downtown Toronto presence — in a neighbourhood with the right demographics and the right rent, Haig says.“Given the right financial model, we would definitely consider it”
I don't really buy that the demographics exist everywhere except NL and BC. But maybe that's why I'm not in business.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The Giant Tiger that was in Cranbrook closed in winter 2012, it was as far as I know the only store they had in BC.

We do have some Red Apple stores in BC, but all in small towns/city's and none in the lower mainland from what I can see on their website.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

The market in Metro Vancouver, including Surrey, is really aimed at the young wealthy free-spending.

It's amazing to watch what is going on at the local malls ................ the stores that do not appeal to any other market are slowly disappearing and being replaced by stores such as Aritzia, Coach, etc etc. All upmarket, and aimed at small sizes.

Tommy Bananas is hanging in at our nearest mall, but then that all is undergoing massive renovation and expansion with very expensive residential towers to be built all around it.

Walmart, Winners, are really the only places ............... and a friend who shopped at Walmart always warned me to look very carefully if I bought any "sets" there, eg, shirt and shorts sets, as she had found top didn't always match the bottom!
Old Jul 28th 2019, 8:20 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
The market in Metro Vancouver, including Surrey, is really aimed at the young wealthy free-spending.
Drake or Kayne West’s clothing store is on Robson street (the one with the owl logo) It’s tiny, sparse with very few products on the rails. There is always a security guy standing outside the store. There is usually a couple of people in there but I never understand why it’s so popular?!

Also Jimmy Choo store on Alberni - whenever I go past to get to my bank and look across, there is only every shop assistants in there!

Old Jul 28th 2019, 10:51 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Moncton's not that big, we have those (although I don't know what Red Apple is) and GT recently opened up a second store here. Fredericton has two and one just outside.
Yes we do have a lot of GT's.

We have an Old Navy and a Marshalls opening soon...I've never been in them?
Old Jul 28th 2019, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Yes we do have a lot of GT's.

Ever been to a Winner's? Marshalls is pretty much the same, they also have the same parent company TJX Companies who also owns TK Maxx which is apparently found in the UK and other countries outside North America. along with Home Sense and some other stores.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 12:12 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
Be careful in Old Navy. You may get "recruited" for a spell at sea

Old Jul 29th 2019, 2:05 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Of course there is also Winners and Marshalls, but these are more like TK Maxx than Primark.
winners is TXMaxx. Same owners, layout, stock. Different namectgstsxall. It's TJ Maxx in the USA.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 2:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by bats
winners is TXMaxx. Same owners, layout, stock. Different namectgstsxall. It's TJ Maxx in the USA.
Hi bats!
Old Jul 29th 2019, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

TJMaxx...It is also called Marshall’s and Home Goods in the US and TKMaxx in the UK.

Goods can be returned to any of the stores in that country no matter which one they were purchased from.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 4:41 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Winners maybe the same owners as TKMaxx..layout is similar but definitely not the same nor is the stock either..clothing taste in the UK is different to Canada so stock wouldn't be the same..anyway i find Primark work shirts unbelievable value at a fiver and they last yonks as do the same from Matalan though a bit more expensive..i buy my work clothes in Canada thus.. trousers i get from H&M ..work shirts i get from Simons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.