British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   The price of heating your home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/price-heating-your-home-789557/)

jimmydean Mar 5th 2013 9:31 pm

Re: The price of heating your home

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit (Post 10585957)
Depends obviously where you are.

Gas is relatively cheap where I am when I compare rates in other provinces but it is just as cheap for electric where I am and I would almost say in new builds electric is prefered obviously in older homes where you have a 60A or 100A supply it's not that practical to replace with the 200A panel so older homes tend to stick with gas.

I totally agree with you Arthur.........my point was that in 90% of the province I live in no gas supply is available other than by delivered propane bottles

ArthurBrit Mar 5th 2013 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 10585970)
I totally agree with you Arthur.........my point was that in 90% of the province I live in no gas supply is available other than by delivered propane bottles

Too true, it's not just NS as Iain hinted at smaller areas outside of any big city are usually self dependant as it just costs too much to set up the infrastructure although it does surprise me that NS can't set this up for the whole island as it is a somewhat contained space and not huge by any means.

jimmydean Mar 5th 2013 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit (Post 10585994)
Too true, it's not just NS as Iain hinted at smaller areas outside of any big city are usually self dependant as it just costs too much to set up the infrastructure although it does surprise me that NS can't set this up for the whole island as it is a somewhat contained space and not huge by any means.

and surrounded by and floating on.....natural gas ;)

Howefamily Mar 5th 2013 10:05 pm

We are in NS in a 2500 sq foot house. Our wood insert heats all the rooms except the basement and the family room due to the layout. We also have electric baseboard heaters which we put on in the family room when we are in there (otherwise it sits at about 17C which is too cool for me) and they go on and off in the basement to maintain that at 16C

We run a pool pump in the summer too.

Our NS power bill is paid monthly and is $210 per month.
Our wood was 4 cord at $200 per cord so $800 which is dumped on the driveways cut and split - you have to then stack it and use it. We have about 2 cord left at an estimate.

Hope this helps

Inse Mar 5th 2013 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by woodworm (Post 10585680)
thank you for asking this question... I had no idea people really pay that much for heating their houses (we are in NS and we pay $60 electricity per month and wood is free, we have a 2200 sqft 3BR house)
We are just in the process of planning the building of a new house, and we are discussing building a so-called "passive house", which is supposed to bring our energy costs down by 90%, so this thread is helping me in justifying the extra cost in construction.

Building very close to passivhaus standards is what I used to do before I came across to Canada in 2007. I'm trying to sell our present home, in Creston BC, as we are in the process of buying a lot in Kimberley where we will be building a passive/net zero ready home. I have worked out the heat loss for this place and I could heat the house with a 3-4KW baseboard, if needed, but in reality it will take less, as I should get winter heat in from the windows as that is what they are designed to do.
I wish you well with your plans.

foreigngirl Mar 5th 2013 10:35 pm

My input probably isn't going to be helpful as it relates to a flat (condo), but we used to pay 250GBP per quater on heating a 1-bed flat in England and we were always freezing cold (storage heaters). Here, our electric bill is $34/month, and this includes ALL electricity, including heating, of course (almost 700sqft condo). And we're actually boiling at night - even have to open the windows.

orly Mar 6th 2013 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Animal (Post 10585836)
I forgot about that extra payment actually. I had that argument/discussion with a guy at work asking why the f**k should I pay for a companies debts but he seemed all happy with it ?!

Believe it's a hold over from the old Ontario Hydro days which was another one of those "owned by and for the people" companies.

orly Mar 6th 2013 1:51 am

We average about $75 a month for hydro which powers our heating too (2 bedroom apartment)

Goes down in summer and up in winter due to the way "Time of Use" peak periods work it seems.

BristolUK Mar 6th 2013 3:57 am

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 10585525)
We live in Nova Scotia .....total for year $3180 for everything

PS I am looking to see how much a heat pump would save v installation costs just because of the benefit of cool air in the humid summers we have here.

We have a heat pump and our total is around $3000, including use of air con for summer.

Originally Posted by foreigngirl (Post 10586057)
My input probably isn't going to be helpful as it relates to a flat (condo)...our electric bill is $34/month, and this includes ALL electricity, including heating, of course (almost 700sqft condo).

I've seen something similar from condo dwellers on this site before.

Is there some heating that is paid for in your condo fees?

I just wonder because for 9 months I stayed with my in laws in a 6 unit apartment building in Montreal. I realise it's not the same but I was there for a whole winter and we never had the apartment baseboard heating on at all.

There must have been some communal area heating that was enough or maybe underfloor heating that wasn't billed to the in laws.

deerhunter74 Mar 6th 2013 6:55 pm

What about heating oil I thought Canada was in the midst of an oil boom

christmasoompa Mar 6th 2013 7:01 pm

Out of interest, what's a 'cord' of wood? We get all of ours free from local tree surgeons, and currently have enough for the next 5 or 6 winters. I've no idea what we'd pay for wood here but just wondered how much you get for your money in Canada?

ArthurBrit Mar 6th 2013 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10587951)
Out of interest, what's a 'cord' of wood? We get all of ours free from local tree surgeons, and currently have enough for the next 5 or 6 winters. I've no idea what we'd pay for wood here but just wondered how much you get for your money in Canada?

Not really the best measure but it's approximately 4'x8'x4' of wood.

RockiesFellow Mar 6th 2013 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit (Post 10587970)
Not really the best measure but it's approximately 4'x8'x4' of wood.

Exactly that - Measurement Canada has a whole pamphlet on how to check you're getting what you pay for. Wikipedia shows you what it looks like.

iaink Mar 6th 2013 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10587951)
Out of interest, what's a 'cord' of wood?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)

In practice its whatever the guy selling it decides it is that day.... Hard to tell how much there really is when its all jumbled in the truck.

Is your google broken or something:D

ArthurBrit Mar 6th 2013 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by RockiesFellow (Post 10587981)
Exactly that - Measurement Canada has a whole pamphlet on how to check you're getting what you pay for. Wikipedia shows you what it looks like.

Well a cord is exactly 4x8x4 which is 128 cubic feet.

Never having ordered a cord of wood I don't know how well it's packed but I can't see how they would be able to pack it so it's exactly 128 cubic feet unless the wood is 'shaped' before hand.