Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

price of glasses/opticians

Wikiposts

price of glasses/opticians

Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Re: price of glasses/opticians

Originally Posted by ann m
I say the following just for general interest sake to anyone reading this thread. When we came a few years ago, I thought glasses here were extortionate. I could get mine for £125 in Specsavers, and something comparible here was between $600 and $800. During two holidays in the UK I've booked an eyesight test on the day after landing and then taken back to Canada two new pairs plus six months of contact lenses for less than one pair of glasses at my local opticians - sorry, opthamologist.
I had the same experience - nearly fell off the seat when they wanted $600 ish for one pair!!! Im minus 2 and minus 2.25 so not that bad.

My insurance covers my eye test and about 2 months of daily contact lenses which last me forever as I wear glasses most of the time.

Specsavers in Southampton buy one get one free so normal pair and sunglasses for £125 plus couple quid extra for scratch resistance (worth every penny in my clumsy case )
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Eye tests, in Alberta at least, are free for kids.... no idea if that works everywhere.
Are you sure about that? Mine are charged $10 per test
Old Feb 25th 2013, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I don't pay anything for my son's eye test. It's all covered by Alberta Health Care. Maybe your ophthalmologist is extra billing. Can they do that?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure. Well, we weren't charged, put it that way.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:02 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't charged for the kids tests either.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justkidding
I don't pay anything for my son's eye test. It's all covered by Alberta Health Care. Maybe your ophthalmologist is extra billing. Can they do that?
I'm pretty sure. Well, we weren't charged, put it that way.
Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
We weren't charged for the kids tests either.
IIRC they charged $15 per child. Neither of mine require glasses, it was simply part of the yearly tests they have here.

If you weren't charged but we were, I could understand if you have better benefit than we do, but I don't understand if it is covered by Alberta Health.

Some investigation is required, me thinks
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

How do you find wearing glasses in the Canadian winters?

The only thing I hate about winter is walking in from the cold and the fogging of the old lenses.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Eye tests in Nova Scotia are not covered by MSI, only if you are a senior over 65. Both Walmart and Costco have decent prices for both lens and frames. Some of the larger chains such as Vogue and Hakim, are starting to match prices.
Private insurance plans usually will cover some of the cost of both the exam and the glasses. Depends on the plan. Some provinces pay for exams some don't.
Wearing glasses in winter here is not really an issue. Apart from the initial bit of fog, wearing them outside has never produced a problem.
You can pay as little as $29 at Walmart for frames. Don't ask about the quality though. If you want really fancy frames there are lots of opticians who will oblige you with fancy prices. The price of lens varies depending on what you need. I have tri focal and only paid $150 at Costco for a complete set of glasses. Having both astigmatism and glaucoma and having worn glasses since I was 18 months old, at 75 I'll be B***** if I pay through the nose for specs.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:16 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

IIRC they charged $15 per child. Neither of mine require glasses, it was simply part of the yearly tests they have here.

If you weren't charged but we were, I could understand if you have better benefit than we do, but I don't understand if it is covered by Alberta Health.

Some investigation is required, me thinks
A simple Google search turned up this from AHS

Vision
Your child's first eye examination should be at 6 months, again at 3 years old and yearly from the age of 5 years. If you are concerned about your child's vision, or think they have an eye infection, don't wait. Contact your optometrist right away so treatment can begin as soon as possible. In Alberta, children's eye examinations are fully paid for until 18 years old by the provincial government. No referral is needed to visit an optometrist, so parents can book appointments. My emphasis.
Source: http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/595.asp

However note, it says optometrist, if you took your children to an opthamologist perhaps he chooses to extra bill.

For others wondering what the coverage is in their province here is a link to a PDF put together by The Canadian Association of Optometrists.

Last edited by Steve_P; Mar 19th 2013 at 2:22 am.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:27 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
How do you find wearing glasses in the Canadian winters?

The only thing I hate about winter is walking in from the cold and the fogging of the old lenses.
It's a dry cold....
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_P
A simple Google search turned up this from AHS

Source: http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/595.asp

However note, it says optometrist, if you took your children to an opthamologist perhaps he chooses to extra bill.

For others wondering what the coverage is in their province here is a link to a PDF put together by The Canadian Association of Optometrists.
Thanks Steve. I am just too lazy
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Our kids have Oculocutaneous Albinism and require eye tests and usually glasses every 6 months. Alberta Health just paid for the first test and the second will be covered on our insurance (1 per year from both). Before we arrived we checked with Steve's Manager that glasses were included on the health insurance but as it turns out they are not. We looked at topping up the insurance to include eyewear but I believe you cannot claim on that portion for the first 2 years and then it's only $250 towards them per 2 years. I just paid $219 for Lewis' specs and that was at Costco which seemed the cheapest and Elisha' only changed by 0.5 for the better so I haven't bothered with hers. Unfortunately they also have to have sunnies to stop the pain from the sun on their eyes so I shall look forward to the purchase of those next month also

I know people with kids had it easy in the UK for health care (Prescriptions, free glasses and dental) but it's been a shocker to see how much it's going to cost every 6 months for ours to have what they need. I might string out the sunnies and get them at specsavers in 3 weeks since someone just mentioned that
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Quaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really nice

Buy them online from the UK I paid £90 for two pairs last year and about £20 in shipping.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Quaks
Buy them online from the UK I paid £90 for two pairs last year and about £20 in shipping.
How do you get the fit right though?? They don't size the glasses at a test and they always need loads of adjustment before they fit properly
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:53 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I buy mine in Mexico. Have done for years. Perfect every time and very inexpensive. I just pop over the border and they have them ready in an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.