Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

prescription charges and dispensing fees

prescription charges and dispensing fees

Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

emmapez77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default prescription charges and dispensing fees

Today I've received my health card from my husbands medical plan, this covers 80% of prescription charges and 80% dispensing fees.

Is like to know do perscritption drugs all cost the same? And what would a dispensing fee be?

In the UK, there's a set fee for each perscription issued and no fee to dispense it.
Also my plan doesn't cover doctors fees.
Do I have to pay to see a family g.p who would issue prescriptions such as contraceptives and my asthma medication? We don't pay these back home as the NHS covers all this.

I am in Calgary at the minute, my hubby is a tempory worker here, we are starting pr though in order to stay here.

Emma.

Xx
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perscription charges and dispensing fees

Originally Posted by emmapez77
Today I've received my health card from my husbands medical plan, this covers 80% of prescription charges and 80% dispensing fees.

Is like to know do perscritption drugs all cost the same? And what would a dispensing fee be?

In the UK, there's a set fee for each perscription issued and no fee to dispense it.
Also my plan doesn't cover doctors fees.
Do I have to pay to see a family g.p who would issue prescriptions such as contraceptives and my asthma medication? We don't pay these back home as the NHS covers all this.

I am in Calgary at the minute, my hubby is a tempory worker here, we are starting pr though in order to stay here.

Emma.

Xx
All drugs do not cost the same in the UK, or in Canada. The taxpayer subsidises your purchase in the UK. For most, that doesn't happen over here.

The dispensing fee is what the pharmacy chooses to charge. Some plans limit the maximum dispensing fee they will pay and, if they do, you pay any difference.

Doctor's fees are paid by your Alberta Health Coverage.

When you see a doctor here to fill a prescription, you will not have to pay the doctor anything (Alberta Health Coverage pays) any prescriptions given you will have to pay for, subject to any amount your coverage covers.

With some plans there is a direct pay facility so the pharmacy contacts the insurer, finds how much the insurer will pay and bills you any amount not covered. If your plan does not have direct pay, you will pay the pharmacy the full price, submit a claim to your insurer and the insurer will reimburse you in accordance with the terms of the plan.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Mar 11th 2013 at 9:23 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, I didn't mean all drugs cost the same, I ment there is a flat perscription fee

Our plan does include pharmacy claiming the fees thankfully, can u tell me if all medications have a different cost? As obviously UK is a flat fee per drug issued
Unfortunatly I take blood pressure meds, 2 different asthma inhalers and oral contraceptives.

While I am awaiting my Alberta health care plan details to come through could I go see a doctor or enrol with one and pay untill it came through.

Thanks..
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There are no 'prescription' charges in Canada, you just go to the Doctor where he gives you a prescription, then you go to the Pharmacy.

They will ask you to pay a dispensing fee if it is not covered under your health plan with your husband's employees (I used to pay $20 a year one off payment). Depending on the level of cover you have (with husbands' health insurance plan) you will either get your medications for free or else you will have to pay a percentage.

There are no 'flat fee' medications here, each one is priced according to what the Government or Province say. So, if you get a prescription for heart medication, asthma inhalers and birth control you (or your health insurance) will pay for each of them, not as one fixed price like the prescription charges in the UK.

If you attend the hospital and they give you medication (provided, I believe, that you have your first dose there) then there is no charge.

Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmapez77
Hi, I didn't mean all drugs cost the same, I ment there is a flat perscription fee

Our plan does include pharmacy claiming the fees thankfully, can u tell me if all medications have a different cost? As obviously UK is a flat fee per drug issued
Unfortunatly I take blood pressure meds, 2 different asthma inhalers and oral contraceptives.

While I am awaiting my Alberta health care plan details to come through could I go see a doctor or enrol with one and pay untill it came through.

Thanks..
You shouldn't have to wait for your Alberta Health to come through. You go and register and are given your health card there and then, or at last that was how it worked when we came. Process took 10 minutes after queuing. This is the card you must show to the doctor to get free treatment. Without it you will be charged for visiting the doctor.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Aww thanks so much guys, our policy states no more than $8 dispensing fee.
I hate needing so much medication.

So do all different doctors charge a different fee then if I didn't get Alberta health cover?just curious as all this is very new to me.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

If its like here then pharmacies will compete on dispensing fee but not on drug cost. Dispensing fee is usually somewhere around $8. The meds themselves? Well, market price.....last year I picked up $700 of drugs for my wife following a health scare. Fortunately my healthcare plan picked up all bar the dispensing fee.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In BC, Costco has the lowest dipensing fee, and Shoppers Drug Mart the highest.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

It's the same here in Calgary, I've just been looking. And with my plan I pay 20% perscription fees and it says a max of $8 for dispensing.
I'm right in thinking children are free?!

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 11th 2013 at 11:43 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Not as far as I am aware, unless you are on lowish family income, but others may know better. http://humanservices.alberta.ca/fina...port/2076.html

What else is covered: http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/what-is-covered.html

(sorry, I didn't actually edit your post, I clicked the wrong button, lol)
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:26 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie

(sorry, I didn't actually edit your post, I clicked the wrong button, lol)
Pah! One expects higher standards from the swots.

Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Pah! One expects higher standards from the swots.

Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

A useful tool for everyone in BC or AB is a website called pharmacycompass.ca
You can input drug names ( most but not all- sometimes generic recognised, sometimes brand names) , your location and search all local pharmacies
Just keep loading results
You can see the different drug costs and dispensing fees, Costco is usually cheapest but not always
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, ill take a look :0)
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
A useful tool for everyone in BC or AB is a website called pharmacycompass.ca
You can input drug names ( most but not all- sometimes generic recognised, sometimes brand names) , your location and search all local pharmacies
Just keep loading results
You can see the different drug costs and dispensing fees, Costco is usually cheapest but not always
Cool website. As said, Costco is cheapest for my meds at 3.89 a pill, shoppers the highest at 4.52/pill.

Do you have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.