Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Premier league football streaming to tv

Premier league football streaming to tv

Old Aug 16th 2015, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

iancampbell9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Premier league football streaming to tv

Been here (burlington, on) for 5 years and have all the footy on cable. After second kid and wife not going back to work looking at cutting costs and wondering if anyone has any recommendations about streaming etc (to Tvs) I've heard about expat vision but not sure how good it is and guess few other options also. I'm not very technical so appreciate any advice. I know some options have bbc/itv with it, that's non essential as managed ok so far.

Key things I guess are
Watch on tv not laptop.
All games that we have here, not just uk sky televised one.
Quality that's not jumpy.

Asking a lot but if anyone has a solution I would appreciate it.

Ian
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier league football streaming to tv

I just bought an android media player with an add-on called "Kodi" (formerly xbmc), which allows you to get all UK channels, including sky, bt sports, etc for free. All you need is the media player and wifi, and you connect it to your TV with a hdmi cable.

Have a look on kijiji, but you can probably buy one for $100-$150.

Streaming quality is excellent- it's not HD, but almost as good.

You can get all US/Canadian channels too, so you're basically unlimited in what you can watch.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:42 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
I just bought an android media player with an add-on called "Kodi" (formerly xbmc), which allows you to get all UK channels, including sky, bt sports, etc for free. All you need is the media player and wifi, and you connect it to your TV with a hdmi cable.

Streaming quality is excellent- it's not HD, but almost as good.
I'm not bothered about HD. We don't have it. But we do have excellent fibre optic internet and streaming from BBC/ITV and various other sites is very good.

But watching the occasional SkySports/BT (especially BT ) is still subject to a degree of fuzziness, commentary being slightly ahead of the action sometimes and picture freeze/jerkiness.

I remain to be convinced that all these gadgets that help watch on TV via the internet are not subject to the same shortcomings from the same internet service.

Or is there some reason for a TV coping better with the data received than a computer?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are planning on ditching the TV subscription altogether, it might be worth checking how much it saves. We are with Telus (in BC) and it only costs $2.50 per month for all the sports channels (TSN + SportsNet + various others).
Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iancampbell9
After second kid and wife not going back to work looking at cutting costs
It's worth regularly checking with your provider as to how they do their packages.

We had one that provided me with all the TSNs and all the Sportsnets. Regular checking showed I couldn't scale down and keep the added sports channels.

Then suddenly I noticed a change in package design/availability and we halved our monthly $100 bill. I still have 4 of the TSNs and all but 2 of the Rodgers ones. A small sacrifice for a big saving.

It is a little irritating on a day like today with both games on the TSN channel I don't get but that's not the norm. The following two weekends provide all the games I want to see.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

iancampbell9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's worth regularly checking with your provider as to how they do their packages.

We had one that provided me with all the TSNs and all the Sportsnets. Regular checking showed I couldn't scale down and keep the added sports channels.

Then suddenly I noticed a change in package design/availability and we halved our monthly $100 bill. I still have 4 of the TSNs and all but 2 of the Rodgers ones. A small sacrifice for a big saving.

It is a little irritating on a day like today with both games on the TSN channel I don't get but that's not the norm. The following two weekends provide all the games I want to see.
Yeah I downgraded for the summer but with my team (Everton) on TSN2 on sat and then today's games I added it back. An extra $35 a month for that channel and the sportsnet ones.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 3:00 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by iancampbell9
Yeah I downgraded for the summer but with my team (Everton) on TSN2 on sat and then today's games I added it back.
That's what I meant about this weekend not being the norm.

TSN2 doesn't feature at all in the games for the next two weekends.

NBC used to cover many of the games on its network channel (that was a good back up) but now they're doing it on sports ones.