Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Prefer UK or Canada ?

Wikiposts

Prefer UK or Canada ?

Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prefer UK or Canada ?

Originally Posted by Oink
Fair enough. But why do you feel the need to go an live in someone else's country?
Taking that line of thinking, the often ridiculed and mocked 'cradle' canadians are living in someone else's country...namely, the native indians and inuit peoples.

I'm with Maryland Ned on this one....both countries have their pros and cons and one persons outlook is often very specific etc.

To say that Canada is sh*t etc and more sh*t than the UK and so dull and parochial etc..no wonder the cradle canadians find ex-pat brits so full of themselves, arrogant and annoying.

Living in Canada is not a one way ticket...you can always go back to chocolate box england...if you can find it and afford it.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
dull and parochial
That's not a criticism though, that's the argument for Canada.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Taking that line of thinking, the often ridiculed and mocked 'cradle' canadians are living in someone else's country...namely, the native indians and inuit peoples.

I'm with Maryland Ned on this one....both countries have their pros and cons and one persons outlook is often very specific etc.

To say that Canada is sh*t etc and more sh*t than the UK and so dull and parochial etc..no wonder the cradle canadians find ex-pat brits so full of themselves, arrogant and annoying.

Living in Canada is not a one way ticket...you can always go back to chocolate box england...if you can find it and afford it.
The thing of it is, Canadians really don't want you here. They'll be pleasant enough to your face but they're not exactly over the moon. Its one thing if you're facing a famine or a ethnic cleansing, then its fair enough, but to piss off from a rich and safe country for no good reason other than you don't like what's in the newspaper or you're a bit bored, seems churlish at best.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:51 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getmeintohalifax
I'd return to the UK in a heartbeat if my partner was up for it. Right now, I'm perfectly happy in Canada, I'm enjoying life here and, with our jobs and stuff, it just makes perfect sense to be here right now. However, the UK is and always will be home. I miss the architecture, the pubs, the footy, the curry, friends, family, the shops, the tv shows (which I can, of course, access over here with a little effort), the music scene, and the North East coastline.

One of the biggest things I miss is being close to everything. Growing up in Sunderland, I could be in Newcastle, Gateshead, South Shields, Durham, Hartlepool or Middlesbrough within half an hour. I could be in York in an hour, Edinburgh in an hour and a half, or London in three hours. If I wanted to jump on a plane, after a 20 minute drive to the airport, I could easily reach anywhere in Europe within a couple of hours and, with budget airlines, it wouldn't necessarily cost too much.

In Halifax, once you leave HRM, you're basically out in the sticks. Yes, there's some absolutely beautiful towns and scenery, but it's not quite the same. If I want to go to another big city, it's either a monster drive or an expensive flight.

I didn't mean for this to end up sounding like a massive moan - I genuinely like it here. It's just that there's a lot to miss about the UK. A lot of people are quick to moan about the UK (and there are certainly many things wrong with it) but, once you spend a lot of time outside the country, I think you begin to appreciate what a fantastic country we were born in.
Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
I am but a humble, yet superior southerner
Same here I thought it was a great post too ... it certainly summed up how I feel. (except I'd replace paragraph 3 with Bath/Devon etc.

Last edited by bananahammock; Mar 18th 2013 at 5:53 am.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:58 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing of it is, Canadians really don't want you here. They'll be pleasant enough to your face but they're not exactly over the moon. Its one thing if you're facing a famine or a ethnic cleansing, then its fair enough, but to piss off from a rich and safe country for no good reason other than you don't like what's in the newspaper or you're a bit bored, seems churlish at best.
You must attrack the crap Canadians - I've never found this to be true.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

+1.

Everywhere is "someone else's" country if you want to go back far enough in time - which is why I detest "immigrant bashing" wherever I see it.

At the end of the day if someone wants to try out another country for whatever reasons and they contribute to their new country on some level and build a happy life for themselves, then good luck to them. I can't help but get a sense of envy in some of the posts under the "Which country is better?" titles.

Last edited by Jimbo2012; Mar 18th 2013 at 6:06 am.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Actually I did experience this for myself last week when I had a conversation with a lady who although fairly polite with it, did not even try to hide the fact that they don't want immigrants here. Comments like "Do they not have jobs in Britain??" "Do they only have the ones you don't want to do, like cleaning toilets??" and "We'll let anyone in here lately"....... I was quite taken aback but it has made me think now that perhaps they are not as nice as they appear to be on the surface
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Although I agree with your summation, I don't think its a pointless debate at all. Hearing the views, experiences, insights, prejudices, naivete of others does help re-define your own perspective and remind you of aspects of each country that are sometimes forgotten or overlooked.
This I agree with.

I know that the regular users of this site see these types of threads all the time (especially lately for some reason) and older users get fed up with taking the time to repost their own thoughts and feelings time and time again, I also know it's encouraged for new users to look through the search function to catch up with all the posts over the last 10 years but in reality this doesn't happen.

My personal feelings on Canada has changed drastically over the 6 years I have lived here and how I felt a year ago is not the same as how I feel today so the data does change we all know this is just a small amount of data and does not represent everyone whos ever made the move but it is still data.

Perhaps this thread has been read by someone who is set on Canada, maybe they read this and the dream in their head of Canada switches off for just a moment and they see that there are many people who would choose to live in England (because of x, y and z), that person will hopefully think about the complaints and realise that they can either make England work or they can risk everything to move to Canada.

My posting intent on this site isn't really about me convincing someone to come or stay it's just to add my experiences since living here, perhaps there is someone much like me that is thinking about making the move and they can relate to certain people on this board and hopefully make the best decision for themselves or their family.

After all whether you love, like or loathe Canada, it doesn't mean that your insights are wrong in any way, more that you took the risk and are explaining what went right or wrong with that dream and it can provide great insight for all those that are still in the dream stage.

Last edited by ArthurBrit; Mar 18th 2013 at 6:30 am.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shunter1977
Actually I did experience this for myself last week when I had a conversation with a lady who although fairly polite with it, did not even try to hide the fact that they don't want immigrants here. Comments like "Do they not have jobs in Britain??" "Do they only have the ones you don't want to do, like cleaning toilets??" and "We'll let anyone in here lately"....... I was quite taken aback but it has made me think now that perhaps they are not as nice as they appear to be on the surface
Yes I have experienced this and have made note of it in another thread.

At the same time there are those Canadians that read about the 'retirement' stats for the baby boomer generation and are crying for there government(s) to let more of the young bloods in.

Much like anywhere else in the world there are several fences people sit on!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just ask her where her ancestors came from? Her line of rhetoric might just suddenly end
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
Why not just ask her where her ancestors came from? Her line of rhetoric might just suddenly end
That is exactly what Steve said when I told him
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You should have asked her when her ancestors (probably her grandparents) arrived in Canada! You think there aren't racists and anti-immigration types in both countries? Have you ever heard of The National Front?

Most Canadians I have met are aware of their own heritage (since many aren't far off from being immigrants themselves), aware that their country is a nation of immigrants and aware that Canada needs more immigrants. There is more empathy there towards immigrants IMO. Of course this is a generalization based on my own experiences and there will be exceptions in individual cases.

In the UK, most people I've met feel that their heritage is well established as being British and that the UK doesn't need any more immigrants - especially since public services and the infrastructure is creaking under the strain of current population. I just haven't seen the same empathy towards immigrants in the UK. Again a generalization based on my own experience.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You should have asked her when her ancestors (probably her grandparents) arrived in Canada! You think there aren't racists and anti-immigration types in both countries? Have you ever heard of The National Front?

Most Canadians I have met are aware of their own heritage (since many aren't far off from being immigrants themselves), aware that their country is a nation of immigrants and aware that Canada needs more immigrants. There is more empathy there towards immigrants IMO. Of course this is a generalization based on my own experiences and there will be exceptions in individual cases.

In the UK, most people I've met feel that their heritage is well established as being British and that the UK doesn't need any more immigrants - especially since public services and the infrastructure is creaking under the strain of current population. I just haven't seen the same empathy towards immigrants in the UK. Again a generalization based on my own experience.

I am fully aware that Britain is full of anti immigration types and racists, I was just saying that is the first time i'd experienced it for myself here in Canada. For the most part people are fascinated about where you come from or telling you the history of their family back to the UK.

My parents are often moaning about the immigrants on Skype but I have to tell them "Don't diss the immigrants, I am one remember"
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

Whilst in agreement with this, I feel compelled to add that my wife (a white Canadian) lived and worked as an immigrant in the UK for 10 years and never met with any hostility. Although she was often asked the question: why on earth would you want to live here?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The only immigrant issues I've run into is just a confusion that you live in Canada, for example I went to renew my license at the ICBC and the guy behind the counter said "you know you can only renew canadian driving licenses here right?" ...er... yeah? and I had someone ask me for directions to the closest Skytrain station when I was downtown, and I pulled out my cellphone to double check, and the guy was like "are you a tourist?" ... yes I'm a tourist racking up a massive data bill on my cellphone :/

If I ever encountered any hostility all I would have to do is point to the name of the province and the Union flag embedded in the BC flag to shut them up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.