Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Prefer UK or Canada ?

Wikiposts

Prefer UK or Canada ?

Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:04 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prefer UK or Canada ?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't imagine that anyone who won the lottery would choose to live in Canada unless they'd been born in Canada and had never left. Canada isn't that sort of place.

It is, however, a good choice for many, it's safe and steady. Not a Ferrari of a country, more a badge engineered Vanden-Plas; comfortable with a few nice bits though overall a bit bland and derivative. A suitable place to spend one's middle age.
I know someone who won several millions on the UK lottery while living in the UK, and decided that with their new-found riches the ideal place for them was a cookie-cutter Calgary suburb.

Utterly bizarre.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Don't think I can really answer this one as it's a bit early in our experience, however I will say that at this moment in time we are pleased with our decision and are happy here.

I still love the fact that the UK is and always will be home for me. When I speak to people and they ask where i'm from there is a certain proud feeling when I say England. We are all looking forward to our visit back in 3 weeks and Steve and I are especially looking forward to a lovely pint of Aspall Suffolk Cider in a few of Norwich/Norfolk's quaint pubs. I miss the history of our home country, family/friends obviously and the usual comforts of familiar things but for the most part currently I like it here.

And as for your Northeners/Southeners discussion.......you're all outsiders to us Norfolk folk
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:17 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shunter1977

And as for your Northeners/Southeners discussion.......you're all outsiders to us Norfolk folk
Thats cos they are all family

"NFN". I enjoyed my time in Norwich, but Canada is home.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink

"NFN"
That's right webbed feet and all. The "NFN" thing is actually given allowance with regard to education results in Norfolk
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

"NFN". I enjoyed my time in Norwich, but Canada is home.
Did you live in Norwich?????
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:26 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years up Sprowston way, its a boss place.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

A couple of years up Sprowston way, its a boss place.
Wow see now i'm excited that someone on here knows where we lived......i'm easily pleased. I was bought up in Mile Cross (of all places) and Steve from Drayton. Before we moved we were out at Horsham St Faiths and I worked in and around Sprowston.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:49 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know, but I let that pass because the poster was nice about Newcastle.

I assume he goes there to watch football.
Just for the hell of it I had a look at the centre of Sunderland on Streetview. Half the shops were shut and the place was under an overcast gloom that would have Vancouverites reaching for the rusty razorblades.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:02 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

He was sick of giving people High 6's.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

getmeintohalifax is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Just for the hell of it I had a look at the centre of Sunderland on Streetview. Half the shops were shut and the place was under an overcast gloom that would have Vancouverites reaching for the rusty razorblades.
For the record, Sunderland city centre is a dump (you could say that about a lot of UK town/city centres at the moment though)! And the football team always lose (I try to tell myself that it makes the occasional victories even sweeter...but it basically just makes me depressed and angry every Saturday afternoon!) But the coastal suburb that I grew up in ... well I genuinely would not want to have grown up anywhere else.

On reflection, I might have been better off using the proximity of the Lake District and Northumberland as examples of having interesting, different stuff nearby! Nobody wants to be going to Gateshead and Middlesbrough! Anyway, my point was more about the variety of places that you could easily visit.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tangram
He was sick of giving people High 6's.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:24 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment I like it here....it's new....we are still exploring...still feels like an adventure...... I have never felt like I specifically came to Canada......rather I came to North America....... I'm not sure I would have come if the US wasn't bolted to the bottom of Canada.

A cottage in the hills of Tuscany will probably start to look a lot better option as I approach my 60th birthday. It is extremely unlikely that I will return to UK to live.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:51 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getmeintohalifax
For the record, Sunderland city centre is a dump (you could say that about a lot of UK town/city centres at the moment though)! And the football team always lose (I try to tell myself that it makes the occasional victories even sweeter...but it basically just makes me depressed and angry every Saturday afternoon!) But the coastal suburb that I grew up in ... well I genuinely would not want to have grown up anywhere else.

On reflection, I might have been better off using the proximity of the Lake District and Northumberland as examples of having interesting, different stuff nearby! Nobody wants to be going to Gateshead and Middlesbrough! Anyway, my point was more about the variety of places that you could easily visit.
Shortly after I was married I took my wife to see the land of my birth. I remember standing at the top of a cliff overlooking Marsden Rock. It was October. The North Sea was a turgid grey. The overcast sky was even greyer. It was drizzling. Not that light drizzle that dampens the outside of your clothes but the wetting stuff that reaches parts that no drizzle should reach. To complement it all there was a biting north easterly wind that felt like it had just arrived from the Arctic.

The look in her eye told me that if I came back it would be as a single man.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:58 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Shortly after I was married I took my wife to see the land of my birth. I remember standing at the top of a cliff overlooking Marsden Rock. It was October. The North Sea was a turgid grey. The overcast sky was even greyer. It was drizzling. Not that light drizzle that dampens the outside of your clothes but the wetting stuff that reaches parts that no drizzle should reach. To complement it all there was a biting north easterly wind that felt like it had just arrived from the Arctic.

The look in her eye told me that if I came back it would be as a single man.
A quick shove and you could have stayed
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
A quick shove and you could have stayed
With the picture he painted I would have jumped in had I been there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.