Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Preconceptions about Canada

Preconceptions about Canada

Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preconceptions about Canada

Originally Posted by dollface
Originally Posted by Editha
I imagined really nice shopping malls full of things to buy, not gloomy dumps that look as if they were built in the seventies, not maintained since, and smell faintly as if someone died there, and the body wasn't noticed for a long time.

I imagined sitting in front of a log fire on cold winter evenings, eating toasted marshmallows, not an electralog.
Really? where do you live? Nunavut? why cant you install a log fire ?
Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, no need to shout.

I don't hunt. I'm British.
So no chasing a fox with a pack of dogs then?
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
So no chasing a fox with a pack of dogs then?
None at all. What do you take me for? <don't answer that>.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

None at all. What do you take me for? <don't answer that>.
Actually I figured you'd be the last person to do that.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:08 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think where you got these ideas from. Did you start at a CanadaExpo thingy or whatever they're called?
I read a book called Sussanah of the Mounties when I was a child. I think the log fires idea came from that. Must be, because the only other book I'd ever read on Canada was an account of Franklin's expedition. It gave me nightmares, but I don't remember log-fires featuring in the account.

The shopping malls had something to do with the idea that North America is the Ur consumer culture.

I actually hadn't thought about Canada much at all before I came here. I'd never had any intention of even visiting N.Am on holiday, let alone live here.

Husband got made redundant. Got job in Canada. Decided not to leave him. After all he was in his last decade before retirement. How bad could it be? I asked myself. Answer = x5. But only a couple of years to go.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Husband got made redundant. Got job in Canada. Decided not to leave him.
People say, lightly, that they would do anything for their partner. Some are pressed on the matter, being called upon to donate a kidney or bone marrow or to share their home with an aging parent of their spouse. One admires their dedication while wondering if that's not a bridge too far and pondering whether or not one would be ridden with guilt for unwillingness to make that sacrifice. Deciding on such matters cannot be easy.

Some things though are simple and some acts, while showing dedication, are not admirable, Rose West was not a hero for following her husband's example. Following someone to Edmonton is just silly.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:29 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
People say, lightly, that they would do anything for their partner. Some are pressed on the matter, being called upon to donate a kidney or bone marrow or to share their home with an aging parent of their spouse. One admires their dedication while wondering if that's not a bridge too far and pondering whether or not one would be ridden with guilt for unwillingness to make that sacrifice. Deciding on such matters cannot be easy.

Some things though are simple and some acts, while showing dedication, are not admirable, Rose West was not a hero for following her husband's example. Following someone to Edmonton is just silly.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I read a book called Sussanah of the Mounties when I was a child. I think the log fires idea came from that. Must be, because the only other book I'd ever read on Canada was an account of Franklin's expedition. It gave me nightmares, but I don't remember log-fires featuring in the account.

The shopping malls had something to do with the idea that North America is the Ur consumer culture.

I actually hadn't thought about Canada much at all before I came here. I'd never had any intention of even visiting N.Am on holiday, let alone live here.

Husband got made redundant. Got job in Canada. Decided not to leave him. After all he was in his last decade before retirement. How bad could it be? I asked myself. Answer = x5. But only a couple of years to go.
Good old wikipedia...

"Susannah of the Mounties is a novel written by Muriel Denison in 1936. In the book Susannah is sent to Regina, Saskatchewan to spend the summer with her uncle who is a Mountie. There were several sequels to the book, including Susannah at Boarding School, Susannah of the Yukon and Susannah Rides Again."

One hopes the fall she apparently had in the Yukon was only nearly fatal.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:33 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Good old wikipedia...

"Susannah of the Mounties is a novel written by Muriel Denison in 1936. In the book Susannah is sent to Regina, Saskatchewan to spend the summer with her uncle who is a Mountie. There were several sequels to the book, including Susannah at Boarding School, Susannah of the Yukon and Susannah Rides Again."

One hopes the fall she apparently had in the Yukon was only nearly fatal.

Tart!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:47 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by dollface

Tart!
I avoid mentioning the book to my OH. He has a very blue sense of humour.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:56 am
Born again atheist

I avoid mentioning the book to my OH. He has a very blue sense of humour.
I'm thinking of writing a sequel called "Susannah does Dallas", do you think it'll fly?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 3:05 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of writing a sequel called "Susannah does Dallas", do you think it'll fly?
Unique concept. Is it about life in oil country?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 3:11 am
Was in Canada, now home.

My innocent childhood memories sullied, once more.

My husband's sequel is called "Susannah Ridden Again".
Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:00 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Mt belief is that you should do what makes you happy and work out the logistics like money afterwards.

I think that living somewhere you hate just for coin is beyond sad.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:04 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Mt belief is that you should do what makes you happy and work out the logistics like money afterwards.

I think that living somewhere you hate just for coin is beyond sad.
It is, if you actually have the money to go back. If not and someone is stuck there, then thats sad in a different way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.