Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pre-Christmas Meet Up - Hamilton/Burlington

Pre-Christmas Meet Up - Hamilton/Burlington

Old Dec 1st 2012, 3:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-Christmas Meet Up - Hamilton/Burlington

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Of course it counts.

Yes, I've been getting some bad reports today about people caught in jams. I think the snow has come earlier than normal for the region and has caught the roads department out.

Really makes me want to find a home as close to Ailsa's work as possible. I'd hate to see her stuck in traffic for hours every day. And no, it's not because I would die of hunger, lol. I do all the cooking in our house ;-)
This is unusual, I have seen the traffic moving faster when there has been a couple of feet of snow.

Dave, you might like these links -

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra...camhome1.shtml

http://www.ontarioweather.com/winter...io/central.asp

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/hwycond/on_s/caon0383

Glad to see more people are able to come to the meet up - and by the way, if you need to bring your children please feel free

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 1st 2012 at 3:06 am.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 3:42 am
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Denhamgirl
I should be able to come along too;am also a dog owner (or owned?)...!
Cat owners also welcome too? We're kind of like dog owners. Except we're lazier...

I've only ever been to one meet-up, but am definitely keen to come to another. I'm in provided the OH can drive (I'm still too terrified to drive yet). Would be nice to meet you all!

As it's nearly Christmas I feel that sparkly attire should be mandatory
Old Dec 1st 2012, 3:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joolschweetie
Cat owners also welcome too? We're kind of like dog owners. Except we're lazier...

I've only ever been to one meet-up, but am definitely keen to come to another. I'm in provided the OH can drive (I'm still too terrified to drive yet). Would be nice to meet you all!

If he can't make it, I will be going by bus and you are welcome to travel with me - in fact, I would be very glad of the company!

Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

The Lees is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too..... it took me 3 and a half hours to get home from Mississauga yesterday. It has never been that bad even in worse weather!

Originally Posted by Dotty P
I can come too! Not sure about other half and can't ask him since he's stuck in snowy traffic and has been since 4.30.....Mississauga to Burlington's normally 50 mins....tonight nearly four hours! I thought Canada coped with such events! It feels like the UK all over again

By the way, I don't own a dog but I do love them, does that count?
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joolschweetie

Cat's are cool too, but too devious for me. I feel sorry for cat owners, as you will be the first to become slaves when the felines take over....and they WILL, lol.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by siouxie
If he can't make it, I will be going by bus and you are welcome to travel with me - in fact, I would be very glad of the company!

Bus???

If I'm in the area I will gladly pick you up, but failing that, I can definitely give some folk a lift home. Not like I've got work the next day

Last edited by Dave n Ailsa; Dec 1st 2012 at 1:27 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:37 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Lees
Me too..... it took me 3 and a half hours to get home from Mississauga yesterday. It has never been that bad even in worse weather!
Well he FINALLY got home after 4.5 hours saying it would have been quicker to jog home. Let's just say he wasn't too impressed. I hope last night isn't an indication of his future trips home from work in winter! He'll be packing us off home to Blighty if it is
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

Well he FINALLY got home after 4.5 hours saying it would have been quicker to jog home. Let's just say he wasn't too impressed. I hope last night isn't an indication of his future trips home from work in winter! He'll be packing us off home to Blighty if it is
What time does he start/finish?

I know some of the global companies start very early (more communication time with the East) and then finish around 3pm avoiding the traffic home.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:47 pm

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

What time does he start/finish?

I know some of the global companies start very early (more communication time with the East) and then finish around 3pm avoiding the traffic home.
Well officially he starts at 8.30 but leaves the house at 7 because the traffic heading to Toronto is awful. Some days he gets there early, others just in time. He officially finishes at 4.30 but doesn't generally leave until 5, getting home anywhere between 6-6.15 (or 9.20pm!). I wish he didn't have that journey
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Well officially he starts at 8.30 but leaves the house at 7 because the traffic heading to Toronto is awful. Some days he gets there early, others just in time. He officially finishes at 4.30 but doesn't generally leave until 5, getting home anywhere between 6-6.15 (or 9.20pm!). I wish he didn't have that journey
Yeah, I can't really see a way around that journey.

I was gobsmacked at the volume of traffic when we visited last year. On the way back from our trip to Ottawa we encountered roadworks. 10 lanes of busy traffic down to ONE!!! and wifes and kids needing the toilet (there were two cars with two families, I'm not into sharing)

I genuinely believe there are more cars than people in Canada
Old Dec 1st 2012, 3:03 pm

Yeah, I can't really see a way around that journey.

I was gobsmacked at the volume of traffic when we visited last year. On the way back from our trip to Ottawa we encountered roadworks. 10 lanes of busy traffic down to ONE!!! and wifes and kids needing the toilet (there were two cars with two families, I'm not into sharing)

I genuinely believe there are more cars than people in Canada
You could be right there. When I see the traffic reports on the telly in the morning, I'm always amazed at the snake-like lanes of red brake lights one side and white head lights the other. GTA = Great Traffic Abomination
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:30 pm
Banned

I've also posted it in the "Meet Up" Calendar

All are welcome - if you can get there, come!

Old Dec 2nd 2012, 10:03 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of sparkly attire.

Roads never normally that bad Dotty.

Enjoying my trip back "home" lets hope I make it back to Canada, it gets harder every time I come back, to leave.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Sundin13 is an unknown quantity at this point

We hope to be there - we've never met up with any of you guys before but this seems like a great idea, meet some new people. We're in Oakville (4 years), so it's not too far either. Cheers! T&D
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sundin13
We hope to be there - we've never met up with any of you guys before but this seems like a great idea, meet some new people. We're in Oakville (4 years), so it's not too far either. Cheers! T&D
Perfect!

Looking forwards to meeting you!

Edit: Anyone needing directions, here's a map: http://goo.gl/maps/IZl9j

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 4th 2012 at 2:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.