Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PR holder and diabetic and high blood pressure medicine

PR holder and diabetic and high blood pressure medicine

Old Mar 6th 2019, 10:53 am
Just Joined

luciferUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR holder and diabetic and high blood pressure medicine

Hello, we are going to land in NS as pr holder. I have diabetic and high blood pressure , so take medication regularly which is free in UK. Just wondering, ll it be same in Canada as UK? Please share ur experience. Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2019, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR holder and diabetic and high blood pressure medicine

Originally Posted by luciferUK
Hello, we are going to land in NS as pr holder. I have diabetic and high blood pressure , so take medication regularly which is free in UK. Just wondering, ll it be same in Canada as UK? Please share ur experience. Thanks
It won't be free, prescriptions aren't subsidised in Canada like they are in the UK. More info on what is and isn't included in provincial healthcare here - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada

HTH.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Wot Christmasoompa said. Worth noting there is no 'Canadian' healthcare, as healthcare is all at the Provincial level. The good news is that NS does not have a waiting period, so you can qualify immediately for NS healthcare, you do of course have to register and get the card first (see the wiki link provided above). But yes, you do pay for the full cost of the drugs. It would be a good idea to get your UK GP to provide what he can in advance (they don't normally give you more than 2 - 3 months worth, but my wife managed to get 6 months of thyroxine before moving over).
Old Mar 6th 2019, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for quick reply. UK allow only 3 months medicine Do you know how much it may cost (approx) per month?
Old Mar 6th 2019, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for quick reply. UK allow only 3 months medicine Do you know how much it may cost (approx) per month?
If you let people know what you current have in the UK, they can hopefully advise on the Canadian cost for equivalent.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Examples in my bit from past receipts:
Diltiazem 240mg - $71 (3 months)
Diltiazem 180mg - $41 (3 months)
Perindo/Indapa (Coversyl plus) 8/2.5 - $66 (3 months)
Metformin 850mg - $21 (3 months)

Insulin - 3 months worth, obviously depends on dose
Novorapid - $76
Novolin NPH - $162

It's cheaper to buy three months at a time. The pharmacy charges a dispensing fee and it's the same no matter how much you get. As an example it could be $12 - it varies - but buy three months and you save $24.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 6th 2019 at 4:40 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

I’m taking metformin 5mg-twice a day and amlodipine 5mg-once a day. Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2019, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

For my mild RBP, for 3 months worth, I pay (in Ontario):

Bisoprolol - $17
Perindopril - $38
Amlodipine - $29

The 'trick' is to make sure your Doctor prescribes you the 'generic' drugs and not 'proprietary' - for some reason, I was previously on Viacoram (mixture of the last 2 drugs) and it was $$$$!
Old Mar 6th 2019, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
For my mild RBP, for 3 months worth, I pay (in Ontario):

Bisoprolol - $17
Perindopril - $38
Amlodipine - $29

The 'trick' is to make sure your Doctor prescribes you the 'generic' drugs and not 'proprietary' - for some reason, I was previously on Viacoram (mixture of the last 2 drugs) and it was $$$$!
Just be warned that the Generic does not always work as well as the proprietary, or not as well for you.

I have 3 prescriptions where the Generic does not work as well for me as the proprietary. In BC, pharmacists have to give you the Generic whenever one is available ........ my doctor has therefore had to state on prescriptions that I am to have "(proprietary name) only".

That includes Tylenol 3 ........... which can be replaced by ratio-lenoltec-3. One can tell when a pain reliever is not working!

To answer the OP's question ............... BC is not cheap for drugs, and I am not able to go looking for cheaper, so I am quite aware that I am probably paying one of the highest prices in Canada for my prescriptions.

I take Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg.

My last prescription cost $156.90 for 3 months supply, including $10 dispensing fee.

It is not covered by the province's medical plan for me (income above the maximum), but we have private Extended Health Insurance that kicks in once our annual $1000 deduction has been reached.

It would be worth you looking into Extended Health, and even a private Dental plan if not offered by your employer, especially if you have children,

Also in BC ....... the doctor writes a prescription for 1 year, specifying "3 months + 3 refills", once s/he is convinced it is the right drug for you, and the pharmacist then keeps that on file, giving you a warning when you buy the last refill.. It isn't a question of asking the pharmacist to give you 3 months ..... they won't do it unless it is there OR if they can phone the doctor to get permission. You have to see the doctor to get a new prescription written once you have bought the last refill.

A family member lives in NS, and the method for getting prescriptions seems to be the same .............. has to see the doctor for a new one. I understand the system can be different in the UK?

Last edited by scilly; Mar 6th 2019 at 8:08 pm.