Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PR doing short landing paying tax in UK (Taxation Question)

PR doing short landing paying tax in UK (Taxation Question)

Old May 14th 2016, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

KetanP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR doing short landing paying tax in UK (Taxation Question)

Hi there,
I receive COPR a month or so ago and in June I will be going to Canada to do a short landing (2wk trip).

From advice given on here I was planning to tell immigration that I am not establishing residence but would like the PR card sent to my uncles house.

My question is, if I activate my PR in June during the short landing and then return to the UK to work, do I pay taxes in both UK & Canada?

I recently had a planning session with Canadian Immigrant Integration Programme (CIIP) and they said that as I'll now be a PR and working in the UK I would have to pay tax in both countries.

This has got me worried because I don't know if I could afford to do that

Thanks
Old May 14th 2016, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR doing short landing paying tax in UK

Read this link for more info.
Determining your residency status
Old May 14th 2016, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Read this link for more info.
Determining your residency status
Thank you... so based on the link / below, I believe I would not have to pay tax in Canada, as I will be in Canada for less than 183 days and not have significant residential ties.

Non-residents

You are a non-resident for tax purposes if you:
  • normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada; or
  • do not have significant residential ties in Canada; and
  • you live outside Canada throughout the tax year; or
  • you stay in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year.

What I am not sure about is the secondary residential ties. When I go to Canada I do plan to open a bank account and get my driving licence, however the link says these would be secondary ties that may count
Old May 14th 2016, 3:37 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR doing short landing paying tax in UK (Taxation Question)

Originally Posted by KetanP
My question is, if I activate my PR in June during the short landing and then return to the UK to work, do I pay taxes in both UK & Canada?
No.
Old May 14th 2016, 3:39 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

When I go to Canada I do plan to open a bank account and get my driving licence ...
The bank account is OK but why the driver's license? You don't live in Canada so you can't get a driver's license here.
Old May 14th 2016, 3:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The bank account is OK but why the driver's license? You don't live in Canada so you can't get a driver's license here.
True - not without a Provincial address; additionally the OP would have to surrender their UK one (not a good idea if you are returning to the UK!).

Social Insurance Number and opening a bank account seem to be the norm to obtain on a turn around 'landing trip'.

@kelanp - we have some useful Wiki articles on taxation and moving across the pond - you might find them of help. Tax Residency-Canada : British Expat Wiki and Category:Moving Logistics-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Old May 14th 2016, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't see why it's an issue to get a driving licence if you're doing a short landing? Seems as though people moving from other countries can so why not from the UK? The reason for getting a driving licence is so that it's one less thing to do when I actually move.

Plus the service ontario website states the following requirements to obtain a driving licence, of which I'll have the COPR & maybe the record of landing

Permanent Residents:
Permanent Resident (PR) Card
Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) accompanied by a valid passport from country of origin
Ontario Photo Card
Old May 14th 2016, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
True - not without a Provincial address; additionally the OP would have to surrender their UK one (not a good idea if you are returning to the UK!).
I will be staying with family during the short landing. Does that not suffice as provincial address to be able to get a driving licence?
Old May 14th 2016, 7:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I will be staying with family during the short landing. Does that not suffice as provincial address to be able to get a driving licence?
Why would you want to get one, for such a short period of time though? I'm not sure if you realise, but you will be required to surrender your English (UK) license when you apply to exchange it for a Provincial one. This would mean you would not have a UK license anymore, unless you moved back to the UK permanently and swapped your Provincial license for a UK one or applied for a new one. They do have recipricol arrangements though, so both parties would likely be aware if you tried to have 2.

No knowing which Province you are potentially staying in, here are examples for Ontario: Licence Exchanges - Cars, Trucks, Vans and Alberta (who require proof of residency, such as utility bills sent to you at an Alberta address) Service Alberta: Identification and Residency Requirements

Last edited by Siouxie; May 14th 2016 at 7:08 am.
Old May 14th 2016, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

No need to change your UK license before you move over permanently. When you actually arrive to live then you may exchange it on the spot, there are no tests or anything for UK license holders, you just exchange it and you are good to go. However the Service Ontario will take your UK license away and send it back to the UK government so be sure to take a photocopy of it before you exchange it for the ON license - that way if you move back to the UK you can exchange the ON license for a full UK license with manual privileges and have proof you held a UK license.
Cheers and good luck
Old May 14th 2016, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Ok thanks. I didn't realise I would have to forfeit my UK licence. It makes no sense in this day and age.

Good to know that I can simply swap my UK licence for a ON licence and don't have to apply for it.
Old May 14th 2016, 10:22 am
Banned

Ok thanks. I didn't realise I would have to forfeit my UK licence. It makes no sense in this day and age.

Good to know that I can simply swap my UK licence for a ON licence and don't have to apply for it.

Be aware that Ontario require both parts of your license, the photocard and the paper edition (presuming you have one). You will require 2 years of holding a full license in the UK to be able to do a straight swap.

Licence Exchanges - Cars, Trucks, Vans
The Class B Great Britain driver’s licence has two parts. Both the photo card and the counterpart must be surrendered at the time of the exchange. If you have misplaced either one of these pieces, you must present an original Certificate of Entitlement, dated within the last 6 months and issued by the DVLA for the exchange to take place.