Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PR December 2019 - How to resolve taxes

PR December 2019 - How to resolve taxes

Old May 15th 2020, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

sidjoloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR December 2019 - How to resolve taxes

So we landed as PR in December 2019, just myself and my husband. Neither of us has really looked for or managed to find work yet, but we are lucky to have a income from the UK.
OH as forces pension, we have three properties between us that we let out so we are coping quite well and not in any rush to get a job until out of winter/Covid 19.
Has anyone got any thoughts on how to sort out our taxes? I have spoken to an accountant about it (she didn't seem to know what to do so I gave up) and HR Block (still haven't returned my calls) but I am nervous about making a mistake this early on.
I have sent our details to our UK accountant to submit, but once we have claimed ourselves as tax payers in the UK, how do I address/record that in Canada?
If I was still not working this time next year, would it be more beneficial to claim tax exemption in the UK and pay tax here in Canada instead? We live in Nova Scotia.
Old May 15th 2020, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR December 2019 - How to resolve taxes

There’s a thread just below yours which answers some of your questions. If you reside in Canada, your taxes are due here, not the UK. Have you submitted a P85 and NRL forms? Both move you along the path to getting your tax situation resolved for the future.
Old May 15th 2020, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR December 2019 - How to resolve taxes

Originally Posted by sidjoloo
So we landed as PR in December 2019, just myself and my husband. Neither of us has really looked for or managed to find work yet, but we are lucky to have a income from the UK.
OH as forces pension, we have three properties between us that we let out so we are coping quite well and not in any rush to get a job until out of winter/Covid 19.
Has anyone got any thoughts on how to sort out our taxes? I have spoken to an accountant about it (she didn't seem to know what to do so I gave up) and HR Block (still haven't returned my calls) but I am nervous about making a mistake this early on.
I have sent our details to our UK accountant to submit, but once we have claimed ourselves as tax payers in the UK, how do I address/record that in Canada?
If I was still not working this time next year, would it be more beneficial to claim tax exemption in the UK and pay tax here in Canada instead? We live in Nova Scotia.
Pretty much everything you need to know is in the wiki here, together with all the links you will need. Strongly suggest you read this:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Taxes...gration-Canada

Don't bother with HR Block, they are simple tax filing guys, not well versed in UK / Canada tax cutover issues IMHO. I use a proper Tax Accountant certified by Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (I assume there is a NS equivalent body). They were great and what they didn't immediately know, he quickly found out.

Last edited by Hurlabrick; May 15th 2020 at 4:28 pm.