Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PR card not received yet, returning to Ontario

PR card not received yet, returning to Ontario

Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: PR card not received yet, returning to Ontario

Just an update - OH had no trouble at all in getting through immigration in Toronto, there was no comment about him not having his PR card and the immigration officer even greeted him with 'bore da' (welsh for good morning) as he noticed the welsh address. Pretty impressive.
The rest of us will have to hope they are as kind when we go out to have photos retaken for our PR cards in a couple of months...
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

NikiG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I'm new to this forum and glad I on here now. This question regarding not having a PR card is right where I am now.

In a nutshell: my hubby and I 'landed' end of October (2010). We were only staying in a hotel for 2 weeks and then came home. We have cars/houses etc to sell. I faxed the address notification form IMM 5456 which the IO gave us once we had 'landed', to the relevant number, but to date my friend's (who we used for a permanent address) haven't received anything.

We got our SIN numbers whilst on our two week break, and I'm now waiting to hear about a job offer in Vancouver that would start before this June.

Been looking on CIC and other websites and don't know how to get that address to them if they haven't received it yet!

The number on the form is if you are calling from inside of Canada. And you only have 180 days to get your address to them, or I'll have to pay for PR.

Does anyone know, who in UK I can tell/speak to about this.

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lcar
Well, life's like that isn't it.
His PR card arrived in the post this morning, about 7 hours too late.
Typical.
The rest of the cards haven't arrived - problem with the photograph apparently, and we have to attend CIC in London, Ontario for a new photo before 20th June.
Small problem - we don't have PR cards so can't travel.
I'd cry if I wasn't laughing at the stupidity of it all.
You don't need to attend in person. There should be some forms with the letters showing how the photos need to be. You can get these done in the uk and send them in the post with the forms. We were in Canada when we had to have our photos retaken and went to the cic office in Ottawa where the photographer was so short she had to hold the camera above her head to take my photo. I am 5'10" so not really a giant. I was really surprised when these ones were accepted.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:15 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikiG

Been looking on CIC and other websites and don't know how to get that address to them if they haven't received it yet!

The number on the form is if you are calling from inside of Canada. And you only have 180 days to get your address to them, or I'll have to pay for PR.

Thanks
In theory CIC think your address is in Canada based on the last info you gave them (friends address), so I would use this form to just double check they get the info. Its the one you are supposed to use for PR card updates.

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/?app=coa

either that or have your friend call the 800 number and pretend to be you and check the address they have on file (assuming they get lucky and actually get to talk to a person the the end, all I ever got was a busy signal or a long wait. Sometimes it takes a while to get the PR car issues, do I wouldnt panic yet.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 21st 2011 at 4:17 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Pr cards are typically taking about 3 months at the minute, if you factor in Christmas it should be here in a couple of weeks
Originally Posted by NikiG
Hi. I'm new to this forum and glad I on here now. This question regarding not having a PR card is right where I am now.

In a nutshell: my hubby and I 'landed' end of October (2010). We were only staying in a hotel for 2 weeks and then came home. We have cars/houses etc to sell. I faxed the address notification form IMM 5456 which the IO gave us once we had 'landed', to the relevant number, but to date my friend's (who we used for a permanent address) haven't received anything.

We got our SIN numbers whilst on our two week break, and I'm now waiting to hear about a job offer in Vancouver that would start before this June.

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rich07
You don't need to attend in person. There should be some forms with the letters showing how the photos need to be. You can get these done in the uk and send them in the post with the forms. We were in Canada when we had to have our photos retaken and went to the cic office in Ottawa where the photographer was so short she had to hold the camera above her head to take my photo. I am 5'10" so not really a giant. I was really surprised when these ones were accepted.
The letter I had says:
'This is to advise you that the photograph, signature and/or information taken on the day you obtained your permanent residence, does not meet the required specifications.
You have been scheduled for an appointment to re-take your photograph on (days and times given). You have 6 months from the date of this letter in order to comply otherwise your card will not be produced and you will be required to re-apply.
It is mandatory that all persons appear in person. If you are under the age of 14 at the time you applied for this permanent resident card, your parent must attend this appointment with you (proof of such parentage will be required).
Please bring with you:
- your passport or travel document
- your confirmation of permanent residence document'.
Phone number of national call centre given.
No other forms/ sheets in the envelope.
The address given is for the CIC in London, Ontario (the address given for our PR cards is in St Thomas, Ont).
It looks to me as if we have to go in person.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:46 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Pr cards are typically taking about 3 months at the minute, if you factor in Christmas it should be here in a couple of weeks
Sorry to hijack OP's thread but is that how long a card renewal is taking as well?

J
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jingle
Sorry to hijack OP's thread but is that how long a card renewal is taking as well?

J
204 days!!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa.../perm-card.asp
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow that seems harsh. I know my sister just sent a new photo got one of her kids, and we had the option of sending new photos or attending for them to do it. I see they are saying there maybe a problem with photos or signature, so guess it may be the dignature bit that is requiring you to attend. Sorry if my earlier post has confused.

The letter I had says:
'This is to advise you that the photograph, signature and/or information taken on the day you obtained your permanent residence, does not meet the required specifications.
You have been scheduled for an appointment to re-take your photograph on (days and times given). You have 6 months from the date of this letter in order to comply otherwise your card will not be produced and you will be required to re-apply.
It is mandatory that all persons appear in person. If you are under the age of 14 at the time you applied for this permanent resident card, your parent must attend this appointment with you (proof of such parentage will be required).
Please bring with you:
- your passport or travel document
- your confirmation of permanent residence document'.
Phone number of national call centre given.
No other forms/ sheets in the envelope.
The address given is for the CIC in London, Ontario (the address given for our PR cards is in St Thomas, Ont).
It looks to me as if we have to go in person.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Wow that seems harsh. I know my sister just sent a new photo got one of her kids, and we had the option of sending new photos or attending for them to do it. I see they are saying there maybe a problem with photos or signature, so guess it may be the dignature bit that is requiring you to attend. Sorry if my earlier post has confused.
No worries. I don't see any way around it here. Think we will have to take a trip to London. Oh dear, what a shame
Just hope they won't make a fuss about us not having PR cards!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am sure that if you explain the circumstances and show them the letter they will understand
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:32 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to worry the OP as I'm sure every case is different, but we landed in October 2010 and received our PR cards in early December. I accept we seem to have enjoyed a charmed life throughout this whole process, but it might be worth checking with the authorities (if you can) whether they have been issued then lost/stolen.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I think the travel document rule is a bit ludicrous - we've already spent enough on the visas, not very happy to spend even another $50.
For those who are able to stay in Canada when they land, the issue does not arise, and we could still be there now.
That is the normal expectation.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Just a thought but I think, technically, you are not supposed to send PR cards in the mail. If he does encounter a wrathful IO it might be an idea to say that the PR cards were sent to his friend in Canada (which is true) and not mention about them being lost in the mail somewhere over the Atlantic.
I am not aware of any prohibition in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (or any other legislation) on sending PR cards by mail or courier.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Steve_
It depends on the airline. If you travel from a country that doesn't require a visa to enter Canada then they'll usually let you on the plane anyway, however legally they're supposed to check your immigration status and if you don't have a PR card (as a permanent resident) they're not supposed to let you on the plane according to the transportation regs.
Untrue. If you have a valid passport that is visa waiver that is enough documentation on its own and the airline has no need to know or care about what your status in Canada will be on arrival.

Extensively discussed at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada

If you are flying Air Canada you should not have any problem.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...traveldoc.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.