Wikiposts

Power tools

Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:47 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Power tools

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I agree with both ultrarunner and Piff Poff. You can buy really cheap power tools but "professional grade" tools are expensive.

It depends on what you want to use them for. I bought a Ryobi cordless drill for just over $30 a few years ago. When I used to work in a woodworking shop the joiners would spend around $400 for a cordless drill. They both drill holes into wood. The difference is that mine is perfectly adequate for the few times a year I get it out of its case, the $400 drills work happily all day, everyday.
I couldn't agree more. If I used a mitre saw every day, I'd buy top-end. I don't, so the Mastercraft Maximum I've got is just fine.

I did splurge a bit on my Makita cordless drill but you'd have to kill me to get it away from me. Love it to bits. Ditto my Dowelmax. Try to steal that from me and you die.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:05 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Souvy...you sound really really sad... Just like my blasted husband...we are the ones that keep you warm at night you know!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:27 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Souvy...you sound really really sad... Just like my blasted husband...we are the ones that keep you warm at night you know!
And we are the ones that make cabinets, closets, headboards, window seats etc. For you. No heterosexual man is going to construct a headboard just for the fun of it.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

I will be brining my power tools,use them everyday and would cost over $5000 to replace. Most are 24 volt cordless so no problems with charging.At the end of the day you pay for what you get
Old Jun 15th 2012, 9:07 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Errrm...They've invented DUVETS as an alternative you know
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:49 am
Just Joined

iloveflapjacks23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Alternating current alternates (swaps from +ve to -ve) at different rates in different countries/regions. In the UK, it does it 50 times per second (50Hz) and in North America, it does it 60 times per second. Some appliances convert AC to DC (direct current doesn't swap at all) before doing anything with it. These mostly don't care about the frequency but will probably care about the voltage (the big exception being computer kit which is mostly dual voltage and dual frequency). Some appliances use AC directly to drive motors or heating elements. These may well care about frequency as the extra cycles mean that they will run at higher power than they would otherwise (look here if you're into maths - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alterna...of_AC_voltages).

There is no standard that I'm aware of for labelling appliances with frequency requirements. The various combinations I've seen are:

110v/230v 50/60hz - works just about anywhere
110v 60hz - may have a problem with 50Hz supplies
230v 50hz - may have a problem with 60Hz supplies
110v or 230v with no hz mentioned - try it and see
Thanks very much for the useful information!!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Why would you not bring your TV? Same with power tools. Our UK tv plays all the kids' DVDs in the playroom just as well as it did in the UK. Seems crazy to me to replace things unnecessarily.
Quick question: can't seem to get a straight answer on the TV issue - can I bring my UK tv to Canada or not? I'm about to check the back to see the Hz etc - is there something I need to look for? I read on another forum this morning that a UK TV could work like a monitor in Ca (including for DVDs etc) but wouldn't pick up Ca TV signal...? Help - the movers are here!

And yes - we have a container so would rather bring stuff than buy all over in Canada.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:58 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canuckypom
Quick question: can't seem to get a straight answer on the TV issue - can I bring my UK tv to Canada or not? I'm about to check the back to see the Hz etc - is there something I need to look for? I read on another forum this morning that a UK TV could work like a monitor in Ca (including for DVDs etc) but wouldn't pick up Ca TV signal...? Help - the movers are here!

And yes - we have a container so would rather bring stuff than buy all over in Canada.
Well most TV in Canada is crap and via cable or satelite so set top boxes involved, videoa therefore is via composite, component or HDMI
some free to air but not much and It woudln't match the UK freq's anyway..

Just stick it in if you have space, odds are if its new (within 5yrs old) it'll work
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

most of the responses sem to be aimed at people who are bringing containers. i am travelling solo so will probably have to pay at the air port for the extra luggage do i still bring all my tools (mainly plumbing gear).

also will my torch head fit canadian gas bottles, its a quickfire 2 by rothenburger
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Well most TV in Canada is crap and via cable or satelite so set top boxes involved, videoa therefore is via composite, component or HDMI
some free to air but not much and It woudln't match the UK freq's anyway..

Just stick it in if you have space, odds are if its new (within 5yrs old) it'll work
Yes, not a fan of Canadian TV (and I'm Canadian), figure we'd set the TV up for internet reception (not cable or satelite). A friend has recently done this and works great for her - I can get the programmes I want and not the rest.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:44 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the space - I personally would bring my TV and anything else I wanted to keep.