Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Dec 20th 2014, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

PlacidCasual we are in process of moving and my hubby is sure looking forward to those bike trips he is just deciding between leaving his harley in uk and getting the new one in NS or shipping his bike...but it appears that the legislation is slightly different in uk and uk bikes...or made for uk market might not necessary be up to scratch in canada...meaning extra cost of getting the bike registered and legible over there...
Old Dec 20th 2014, 10:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PlacidCasual
Perhaps the company is ambitious with it's targets then - this is the first time they've brought guys in from overseas. I had an interview with them at a jobs expo in London back in September and originally they were targeting January for relocation.

It's no rush for me, I can be ready in 3 months, but if I have 4-6 months to wait because of the visa then it's just more time to get everything sorted and make ourselves more secure financially.
You can keep an eye on PNP processing times here - Processing times for provincial nominee applications

But when you get to nomination stage, you can get a Temp Work Permit, and that's presumably what you'll be moving over on as PR will take quite a long time. I don't know how long NS is taking to process applications to nomination stage at the mo, BC is currently 8-9 months and AB is ridiculously long (12-18 months), so I hope NS is quite a bit quicker! When did the company apply?

Best of luck.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

PlacidCasual is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
PlacidCasual we are in process of moving and my hubby is sure looking forward to those bike trips he is just deciding between leaving his harley in uk and getting the new one in NS or shipping his bike...but it appears that the legislation is slightly different in uk and uk bikes...or made for uk market might not necessary be up to scratch in canada...meaning extra cost of getting the bike registered and legible over there...
Yeah, I'm not planning on shipping anything at all - going to sell everything and buy again over in Halifax.

I would imagine he'd get a better deal on a Harley over there anyway - just pricing up, a new 1200 sportster costing just shy of £10k here would cost £7k in Halifax so a pretty decent saving!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can keep an eye on PNP processing times here - Processing times for provincial nominee applications

But when you get to nomination stage, you can get a Temp Work Permit, and that's presumably what you'll be moving over on as PR will take quite a long time. I don't know how long NS is taking to process applications to nomination stage at the mo, BC is currently 8-9 months and AB is ridiculously long (12-18 months), so I hope NS is quite a bit quicker! When did the company apply?

Best of luck.

Unless I'm seeing this wrong it's saying 33 Months for Nova Scotia!?
Old Dec 21st 2014, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine he'd get a better deal on a Harley over there anyway - just pricing up, a new 1200 sportster costing just shy of £10k here would cost £7k in Halifax so a pretty decent saving!
Have you included tax on that?

Unless I'm seeing this wrong it's saying 33 Months for Nova Scotia!?
For London visa office? Yes, that's correct, but that's for the Federal app (i.e. all provinces, not specific to NS).

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 21st 2014 at 7:06 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:02 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm not planning on shipping anything at all - going to sell everything and buy again over in Halifax.
That will cost you a fortune
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:43 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
That will cost you a fortune
You can say that again. Unless you have nothing to start with
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:51 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
You can say that again. Unless you have nothing to start with
But even then.... we bought Ikea couches in the UK.. went with Ikea due to the washable covers and the testing of the 300lb uncle sitting on the armrest over 24 hour period advertising etc etc.

Had them delivered there, sat on them for two months and shipped them along with everything else down to the argos catalogue that for some reason found its way here....

Ektorp 2 seater in white (UK) GBP225 (taxes in)
Ektorp 2 seater in white (Canada) $429 plus 15% tax plus shipping charge of about $50 (approximate) = double the price

Last edited by Howefamily; Dec 22nd 2014 at 3:55 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Curious about NS is an unknown quantity at this point

Merry Christmas to everyone!
My husband has a job in Halifax and he will be going in the next couple of weeks. I will be staying in England with our 2 boys 3 and 8 years old. None of us have ever been to Halifax. Hubby will hopefully rent cheaply and we'll visit with the aim of heading out to join him permanently after a year.
Could do with some help and advice!
We're trying to work out if it's cheaper to pay for extra luggage on the flight or to ship - he wants to take 2 suitcases and his bike when he goes out intiallly. Any ideas on small item shipping costs?
Is it possible to rent all bills included fully furnished for can$750-800? It can be 1bed?
Has anyone else done the move as we're planning to? Any advice welcomed!!
Old Dec 27th 2014, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Curious about NS
My husband has a job in Halifax and he will be going in the next couple of weeks. I will be staying in England with our 2 boys 3 and 8 years old. None of us have ever been to Halifax. Hubby will hopefully rent cheaply and we'll visit with the aim of heading out to join him permanently after a year.
We're trying to work out if it's cheaper to pay for extra luggage on the flight or to ship - he wants to take 2 suitcases and his bike when he goes out intiallly. Any ideas on small item shipping costs?
Is it possible to rent all bills included fully furnished for can$750-800? It can be 1bed?
My son is renting in Clayton Park. He's either paying $700 or $750 including heat...just has to pay his power...
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:11 am
Banned

graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Curious about NS
We did this and back ! Shipping-4 weeks-cheaper but list ALL on inventory and be prepared to pay tax (HST) BUT we got it back after a battle

We rented 2 bed/2 bath Clayton Park $900 a month ALL INCLUSIVE with free laundry/cooker/fridge/dish washer, nice area with all amenities close. Furnished could be difficult BUT you can buy as we did furnishings on Kijji-like ebay and cheap-local to Halifax collect in U rent truck 20 bucks a day.

You will need a car, Halifax Bus service is very good/cheap BUT it only takes you around Halifax. You have to pay 15% tax on a second hand car where ever you buy private or otherwise.

Food will cost you a lot more, milk and all dairy products are 3 times the UK price, beer etc double. Plus tax (HST 15%) is rarely included in any sale price, DO REMEMBER THAT.

Exchange rate, have you looked at this and how to move money ????? YOU DO NOT USE A UK BANK DIRECT TRANSFER. I'LL explain if you need to know more. How do I know, our son lives and works in Halifax and we did 2012-14.
Hope it helps
Graham

PS It gets cold but not to bad -19 so you wrap up !!
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:30 am
Banned

I forgot, TV-Internet-Cell phone, expensive, you play Rogers off against Bell. They have into' offers for 3 months about a 100 bucks then 150, NO. Phoning home I can advise, cost little.
Graham
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:41 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
We did this and back ! Shipping-4 weeks-cheaper but list ALL on inventory and be prepared to pay tax (HST) BUT we got it back after a battle

We rented 2 bed/2 bath Clayton Park $900 a month ALL INCLUSIVE with free laundry/cooker/fridge/dish washer, nice area with all amenities close. Furnished could be difficult BUT you can buy as we did furnishings on Kijji-like ebay and cheap-local to Halifax collect in U rent truck 20 bucks a day.

You will need a car, Halifax Bus service is very good/cheap BUT it only takes you around Halifax. You have to pay 15% tax on a second hand car where ever you buy private or otherwise.

Food will cost you a lot more, milk and all dairy products are 3 times the UK price, beer etc double. Plus tax (HST 15%) is rarely included in any sale price, DO REMEMBER THAT.

Exchange rate, have you looked at this and how to move money ????? YOU DO NOT USE A UK BANK DIRECT TRANSFER. I'LL explain if you need to know more. How do I know, our son lives and works in Halifax and we did 2012-14.
Hope it helps
Graham

PS It gets cold but not to bad -19 so you wrap up !!
Welcome back.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Welcome back.
Thanks I have to mellow my views I think as I'm to outspoken at times
Old Dec 29th 2014, 1:10 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
Thanks I have to mellow my views I think as I'm to outspoken at times
Mellow is good. If you don't rub people up the wrong way I'm sure there's a lot of experience you can share with prospective immigrants. We all have a different experience and different opinions. No two sets of circumstance are usually the same.

(try and keep dairy products out of it).....

Where are you in the UK now? Have you returned for good?
Old Dec 29th 2014, 2:12 am
Banned

Back for good, cost $4500 to apply to stay-refused but our son PH.d (cantab) welcomed with open arms !! Age against parents but we paid for his education !! Canada Wins !
Farming, I worked all my life in the UK which is why I'm so critical of the Canadian System.
Yes I've spent 2 years in Halifax NS and will help anyone, lesson 1, if you think your going to Quebec City for the afternoon !!! Think Distance-Canada !!!!!!
Graham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.