Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Dec 12th 2014, 12:40 am
  #211  
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 94
graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by kasiadoran View Post
And that's what I love about the country...i love old fashion...nothing wrong with us defense
There's old fashion and backward, England is old fashion but not backward Canada is big time.
graham the eggman is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2014, 12:52 am
  #212  
"In cruce vincam"
 
rivingtonpike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mill Bay, Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,188
rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

What is this obsession with the price of milk? As so many posters on this thread have repeatedly pointed out, NS specifically and Canada generally, are not the UK. We all have our likes and dislikes of both countries I would imagine and I'm sure they're very different for each of us. I think from what you have posted that you prefer it in the UK. It looks like you're in the right place. Maybe the people in NS, on the whole, are happy with the way things are. That doesn't make them wrong. Nor does it mean they should "open their eyes". Maybe they have opened them and they're happy with what they see.

If you don't mind my saying, you don't seem to be happy with very much of anything.
rivingtonpike is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2014, 12:56 am
  #213  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 85
kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Nothing wrong with backward ... It depends on individual perspective...backward or not...my perspective is that your way of thinking is old fashioned, single minded...one could say ... backward... cosmopolitan world with multicultural citizens requires open people ready to TAKE on board rules put in place... we would have chaos otherwise... maybe you should run for election...big words not much real action
kasiadoran is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2014, 1:12 am
  #214  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,505
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by graham the eggman View Post
Correct BUT Canada is old fashioned/out of date etc and relies on the US for defense.
One thing I don't understand, after reading many of your posts.

Why do you always bang on about us 'not understanding' because we live in Canada?

You do realise this is a forum for BRITISH expats, do you not? As in, most of us originate from the UK?


I would remind you of the site rules, by the way.

Edited to say: Having churned my way through all the vitriole, I see Mr Eggman has been asked several times to stop posting to this thread and was then given a vacation and asked not to post to it again.

As he has decided to ignore that request, have another holiday!

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 12th 2014 at 1:26 am.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2014, 1:18 pm
  #215  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,923
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
One thing I don't understand, after reading many of your posts.

Why do you always bang on about us 'not understanding' because we live in Canada?

You do realise this is a forum for BRITISH expats, do you not? As in, most of us originate from the UK?


I would remind you of the site rules, by the way.

Edited to say: Having churned my way through all the vitriole, I see Mr Eggman has been asked several times to stop posting to this thread and was then given a vacation and asked not to post to it again.

As he has decided to ignore that request, have another holiday!
Its almost a shame as I too had gotten my popcorn out
Howefamily is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2014, 5:03 pm
  #216  
"In cruce vincam"
 
rivingtonpike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mill Bay, Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,188
rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
Its almost a shame as I too had gotten my popcorn out
Can the egg man start his own thread though? Or is he banned entirely for a while? Something about milk might be appropriate?
rivingtonpike is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 6:40 pm
  #217  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 25
PlacidCasual is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Hi all, I'm also potentially moving to Halifax.
Just about to submit my application for permanent residency and aiming to make the move with my girlfriend around March/April next year.

There's a lot of negative noise here from some individuals, but from what I've been able to find out online it looks like a nice place to live.

A couple dollars extra on your shopping bill for some things, but property/cars/petrol etc all seem to be significantly cheaper and I know where I'd prefer to make a saving.

I guess older people (particularly those in their late 60's) may have an entirely different set of expectations to us, we're both in our mid 20's and looking for a fresh start somewhere new. It's been good reading other peoples experiences making the same move and I'll share mine once things progress.

Cheers.
PlacidCasual is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:06 pm
  #218  
"In cruce vincam"
 
rivingtonpike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mill Bay, Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,188
rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by PlacidCasual View Post
Hi all, I'm also potentially moving to Halifax.
Just about to submit my application for permanent residency and aiming to make the move with my girlfriend around March/April next year.

There's a lot of negative noise here from some individuals, but from what I've been able to find out online it looks like a nice place to live.

A couple dollars extra on your shopping bill for some things, but property/cars/petrol etc all seem to be significantly cheaper and I know where I'd prefer to make a saving.

I guess older people (particularly those in their late 60's) may have an entirely different set of expectations to us, we're both in our mid 20's and looking for a fresh start somewhere new. It's been good reading other peoples experiences making the same move and I'll share mine once things progress.

Cheers.
You're right about some of the negative noises, but at the risk of adding to them, I'm not sure you're going to get permanent residency by MRch or April if you haven't submitted your application yet. The process for applying changes in January too. Christmasoompa is your friend on that one.
rivingtonpike is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:21 pm
  #219  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,505
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike View Post
You're right about some of the negative noises, but at the risk of adding to them, I'm not sure you're going to get permanent residency by MRch or April if you haven't submitted your application yet. The process for applying changes in January too. Christmasoompa is your friend on that one.
It depends, if it's a spousal/common law application it could be almost finished by then. They didn't say they were applying through one of the economic streams.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 8:07 pm
  #220  
"In cruce vincam"
 
rivingtonpike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mill Bay, Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,188
rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

That's true, maybe it is
rivingtonpike is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:55 pm
  #221  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 25
PlacidCasual is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

I'm applying through the Nova Scotia Nominee Program as a skilled worker.

From what I understand the company already has approval from the state to bring in people with my trade skills. I have had to fill out a common law union declaration for my girlfriend.

Hopefully it won't take too long to process, but I'm still working here in the UK so there's it's no real rush for me - I'm just very keen to make the move!
PlacidCasual is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 11:55 pm
  #222  
Bon Vivant
 
Simon Legree's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Nova Scotia/Arizona
Posts: 2,956
Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by PlacidCasual View Post
I'm applying through the Nova Scotia Nominee Program as a skilled worker.

From what I understand the company already has approval from the state to bring in people with my trade skills. I have had to fill out a common law union declaration for my girlfriend.

Hopefully it won't take too long to process, but I'm still working here in the UK so there's it's no real rush for me - I'm just very keen to make the move!
Just a small thing but there are no states in Canada. There are Provinces.
Simon Legree is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2014, 12:19 am
  #223  
"In cruce vincam"
 
rivingtonpike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mill Bay, Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,188
rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by PlacidCasual View Post
I'm applying through the Nova Scotia Nominee Program as a skilled worker.

From what I understand the company already has approval from the state to bring in people with my trade skills. I have had to fill out a common law union declaration for my girlfriend.

Hopefully it won't take too long to process, but I'm still working here in the UK so there's it's no real rush for me - I'm just very keen to make the move!
Good luck with the application. I don't really know anything about the PNP route, but if it's that quick, you'll be here just in time to enjoy the lovely east coast summer!
rivingtonpike is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2014, 1:10 pm
  #224  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,848
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by PlacidCasual View Post
From what I understand the company already has approval from the state
Originally Posted by Simon Legree View Post
Just a small thing but there are no states in Canada. There are Provinces.
Perhaps that was just a reference to 'government' in the same way the UK has a state pension, welfare state, secretary of state etc but no states.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Dec 20th 2014, 11:06 am
  #225  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 25
PlacidCasual is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Perhaps that was just a reference to 'government' in the same way the UK has a state pension, welfare state, secretary of state etc but no states.
Yeah, that's what I meant. State/Government.

Perhaps the company is ambitious with it's targets then - this is the first time they've brought guys in from overseas. I had an interview with them at a jobs expo in London back in September and originally they were targeting January for relocation.

It's no rush for me, I can be ready in 3 months, but if I have 4-6 months to wait because of the visa then it's just more time to get everything sorted and make ourselves more secure financially.


Originally Posted by rivingtonpike View Post
Good luck with the application. I don't really know anything about the PNP route, but if it's that quick, you'll be here just in time to enjoy the lovely east coast summer!
Thanks
I'm a keen motorcyclist so would be great to arrive in or just before the summer - I'll be working 4 days on 3 off so should be able to have a few nice trips around the province on the bike on weekends. Looking forward to riding up the coast to Cape Breton!

Last edited by PlacidCasual; Dec 20th 2014 at 11:09 am.
PlacidCasual is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.