Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by dbd33
You haven't considered that in the UK it's usual to walk to the supermarket
I had a Tesco express (I think) a few minutes walk back in Bristol. Otherwise I have more walkable ones here

The cost of milk in Canada needs to consider the requirement to have a vehicle in order to obtain the milk
I have a couple of options for milk and much more just a few minutes away.

You could walk to the supermarket and get a taxi back..
Or bus there and taxi back. I do both.

We also do a taxi both ways - to accommodate my wife's wheelchair. My mother in law joins us - one to push the cart and one for the wheelchair. But even three able bodied people will often choose the taxi. There's not a huge difference between $6.75 by bus and $8, $10 or $12 depending on which supermarket...then there's the door to door aspect and weather issue.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
...I choose to take advantage of free or cheap (£2 a month) deliveries, which also has the advantage of me not having to do the actual shopping.
It would be nice to have the option here but my wife would hate it. She really enjoys grocery shopping.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 29th 2015 at 4:37 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

PlacidCasual is an unknown quantity at this point

car insurance, $500 month

For a "car"? Not a 6L V8 Monster truck thing!?

I pay £380 for my little 1.3L Suzuki Swift here - just shy of $800 a year.
Now granted I will probably get something a little bit bigger in Canada, maybe a 2L Honda Civic as they seem pretty commonplace at the 2nd hand dealers.

But will insurance really cost that much?
I've got 4 years no claims on my car, and 7 years on my motorcycle.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:57 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PlacidCasual

Now granted I will probably get something a little bit bigger in Canada, maybe a 2L Honda Civic as they seem pretty commonplace at the 2nd hand dealers.

Tee Hee.......
Old Jan 29th 2015, 6:03 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Except most people I know get free grocery deliveries. And the cost of the car insurance in Canada would equate to the supermarket shop drive a thousand times over compared to UK insurance prices.
I can't tell you how much I miss Internet grocery shopping..... I keep wondering about setting up something similar- lots of wealthy cottagers in the summer months to keep it going- but really I just want someone else to set it up so I can use it!!!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 6:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The vehicle is not a major factor in insurance pricing in Canada. It does matter in extreme cases, RHD vehicles, modified cars, JDM imports, are expensive to insure but a car, say a $20,000 Ford Focus and a truck, say, a 6L V8 Monster truck thing valued at $20,000 will cost about the same. It's not like the UK where the type of vehicle is the major determinant of premium.

It will cost a bundle. I'd be delighted to get down to $500/month. Postal code is important, credit score is important, age and driving record are important. The vehicle not so much.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 6:34 pm
Banned

graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Milk in NS is way more expensive than some other parts of Canada though. We moved from NS in July. At that time it was $7.20 for 4 litres... (which is why we left NS because "only idiots would pay those prices!!!!")
Correct, here in the UK at today's exchange rate of $1.85 we would pay $3 Canada in general operates an antiquated "Dairy Farming Quote System" which effects all Dairy Products, you pay and only the farmer wins
Old Jan 29th 2015, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

PlacidCasual is an unknown quantity at this point

It will cost a bundle. I'd be delighted to get down to $500/month. Postal code is important, credit score is important, age and driving record are important. The vehicle not so much.
Jesus.

I'm only planning on spending $10,000 on a vehicle.
The thought of paying $6,000 for a years insurance on it is sickening - surely people just drive without insurance as a result?

I have 4 years no claims in a car, which I will bring proof of and a clean drivers licence. I do hope that means I won't have to pay quite that much, but even paying 30% of the vehicles value annually is hard to digest.

How can they get away with it? Are Canadian drivers that bad?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 9:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Can't believe I was actually arsed to do this but - went on the Tesco's website and looked up the price of milk! The unit price per litre differed depending on quantity, but at 1 litre the unit price is 88p per litre. If you buy 2 litres it is 66p. If you extrapolate this out, 4 litres would cost $4.93 at current exchange rate. I then checked what I paid this week in my local supermarket and it was $4.46 for 4 litres. That wasn't on special either. Granted that was for a 4 litre jug so economies of scale no doubt was a factor. Surely that makes Canada better than England in every way. My petrol was 89 cents today - that's cheaper too.

Someone else can look at eggs.
At today's exchange rate of $1.85 you would not pay more than around 3 bucks for 4 litres of milk in the UK. All Dairy products in the UK are less than half the Nova Scotia price. Gas yes about a buck more but look how the liquor corporation rip you and the bars off, double and more again the UK price. TV/Internet etc, car insurance same story.
VAT 20% against 15% HST BUT VAT HAS to be included in advertised sale price unlike HST.
You don't pay tax on used cars bought in the UK either
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:02 pm
Banned

UK no claims means nothing to them plus REMEMBER you have to pay TAX ON ANY USED VEHICLE 13-15% on top of purchase price.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
UK no claims means nothing to them
Who's them? Many BE members have used Johnson's Insurance who routinely recognize UK experience.

In my case when I last immigrated to Canada I was arriving from living in Germany. I used a broker who set me up with a policy from Zurich, a Swiss company with a Canadian subsidiary. They gave me full credit for an 8 year no claims record in Germany.

Not that it matters to the poster you replied to, but while they still operate in Canada, Zurich are no longer in the car insurance sector.

But what's all this got to do with the price of milk?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I bet Eggman doesn't get prices like that. He's being ripped off by the British State apparatus. What he needs is a nice place closer to his son in Nova Scotia. It's too fast paced and aggressive in the UK. All those drunks and under age kids buying booze in the same isle my impressionable 7 year old might be queuing up at in the supermarket. Seems to me they should look at that. No wonder Britian is going to the dogs!
Interesting, drunks/kids etc UK, didn't Halifax N S introduce a minimum price because you had an even bigger problem here that you could not control

UK like Canada YOU WILL NOT be able to buy alcohol in store-yes we can here-or in a bar with out ID if you appear under 25 years-law here is 18 years.
Ripped off by the British State apparatus correct BUT Canada is far worse, monopolies and a hate of competition is the order of the day, it has no place in a free market economy but most Canadians don't understand just accept.
Trade Unions in Canada are like they were in 1970's UK, Thatcher broke them who will here and 50 years to late.
Yes in so many ways your 30/50 years out of date with Europe and the USA.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Who's them? Many BE members have used Johnson's Insurance who routinely recognize UK experience.

In my case when I last immigrated to Canada I was arriving from living in Germany. I used a broker who set me up with a policy from Zurich, a Swiss company with a Canadian subsidiary. They gave me full credit for an 8 year no claims record in Germany.

Not that it matters to the poster you replied to, but while they still operate in Canada, Zurich are no longer in the car insurance sector.

But what's all this got to do with the price of milk?
"Them" is Canadian Insurance brokers Nova Scotia, 30+UK NCB and a HGV license meant nothing.
Milketc like insurance in Canada is one big rip off
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
"Them" is Canadian Insurance brokers Nova Scotia, 30+UK NCB and a HGV license meant nothing.
Milketc like insurance in Canada is one big rip off
https://www1.johnson.ca/location/johnson-inc-halifax-ns

Do you think a Canadian HGV driver could get a job in the UK? Perhaps, I don't know, it's not a topic which has interested me.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what's known as milking the issue?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
https://www1.johnson.ca/location/johnson-inc-halifax-ns

Do you think a Canadian HGV driver could get a job in the UK? Perhaps, I don't know, it's not a topic which has interested me.
NO, a UK test is hard/difficult with so many heavy goods on limited roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.