Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Jan 17th 2015, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

charlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Like I have already said Neiclairep congratulations and if you embrace all the great things NS has to offer you will love it!
Old Jan 17th 2015, 4:46 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neilclairep
Thanks for all comments, I took a break for a while and we have now had a formal job offer, thanks for comments we have made he decision and it is yipeeee we are moving to NS

Please don't rain on my parade - we have researched looked and are at peace with a decision that wasn't easy
Each to their own, you have all been brilliant :-)
Hey great news! Good for you. NS will be a great adventure and a lovely place to live. Nothing wrong with moving to Canada is that's what you want to do; lots of us have! Don't be put off by the eggmen of this world. For every moaner on here there are ten who thoroughly enjoy their new lives.

Good luck and keep us all posted.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 10:14 pm
Banned

graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Hey great news! Good for you. NS will be a great adventure and a lovely place to live. Nothing wrong with moving to Canada is that's what you want to do; lots of us have! Don't be put off by the eggmen of this world. For every moaner on here there are ten who thoroughly enjoy their new lives.

Good luck and keep us all posted.
Moaning no, being realistic about the good and the bad yes My biggest lesson the "Exchange Rate" when living on UK based income or moving big money from the UK-like house sale. 2012/13 was around $1.55, today $1.80 to the UK pound, Big Big difference and don't use your UK bank
Regardless of exchange rate property and gas much cheaper but food-beer-income tax etc way to expensive due the provincial/federal monopolies which have NO place in a free market economy.
Good Luck with your move but "All that Glitters is not Gold"
Graham
Old Jan 18th 2015, 11:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
Moaning no, being realistic about the good and the bad yes My biggest lesson the "Exchange Rate" when living on UK based income or moving big money from the UK-like house sale. 2012/13 was around $1.55, today $1.80 to the UK pound, Big Big difference and don't use your UK bank
Regardless of exchange rate property and gas much cheaper but food-beer-income tax etc way to expensive due the provincial/federal monopolies which have NO place in a free market economy.
Good Luck with your move but "All that Glitters is not Gold"
Graham
More thoughts and I'm not trying to burst your "Bubble" Flights, best but most expensive are Heathrow-Halifax Air Canada but getting a "one way" in my/others experience very difficult. Iceland Air cheaper but not year round.
DO NOT fly via a US hub, all though only in transit you HAVE to go through US immigration, takes time and you need a a ESTA costs 10 quid a head.
Your Budget, keep in mind long term travel costs back to UK or parents visiting you it mounts BIG TIME I can assure you.
Our son has a great job in NS and travel-yes he can afford but it costs big bucks over time as he would tell you.
Most on this site ignore my comments, I write reality and facts having lived in NS and my wife says never again.
Good Luck
Graham
Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

PlacidCasual is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But when you get to nomination stage, you can get a Temp Work Permit, and that's presumably what you'll be moving over on as PR will take quite a long time.
That's exactly how it's going to work apparently.

Once I have been nominated by the province, they then provide a letter which replaces the LMIA and I apply for a Temporary Work Permit.

I still haven't been able to submit my application to Nova Scotia yet as I'm waiting on my future employer for their nomination form - but once I have that my application will be on it's way.

Hopefully the waiting time for Nomination from the Immi dept in NS won't be too long.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PlacidCasual
Hopefully the waiting time for Nomination from the Immi dept in NS won't be too long.
I don't think it's long at all in NS, certainly not compared to the 1-2 years in BC or AB anyway! Figure about 8-12 weeks if processing times are normal.

Good luck.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:34 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

More thoughts and I'm not trying to burst your "Bubble" Flights, best but most expensive are Heathrow-Halifax Air Canada but getting a "one way" in my/others experience very difficult. Iceland Air cheaper but not year round.
DO NOT fly via a US hub, all though only in transit you HAVE to go through US immigration, takes time and you need a a ESTA costs 10 quid a head.
Your Budget, keep in mind long term travel costs back to UK or parents visiting you it mounts BIG TIME I can assure you.
Our son has a great job in NS and travel-yes he can afford but it costs big bucks over time as he would tell you.
Most on this site ignore my comments, I write reality and facts having lived in NS and my wife says never again.
Good Luck
Graham
If you don't travel back to the UK, the travel costs are zero. We haven't spent a nickel on flights to the UK.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 11:34 pm
Banned

Obvious as no family or friend wants to see you UK You need to change your attitude as does Canada, 50 years behind the modern world, I've lived there and KNOW, old fashioned/out of date in so many ways.
Graham
Old Jan 19th 2015, 11:45 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Obvious as no family or friend wants to see you UK You need to change your attitude as does Canada, 50 years behind the modern world, I've lived there and KNOW, old fashioned/out of date in so many ways.
Graham
Aaaah! That'll be it then. I know I can change - I just need more time....
Old Jan 20th 2015, 12:13 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Graham
I've lived here a lot longer than you and I KNOW that you don't half post some rubbish.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 2:02 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Most on this site ignore my comments, I write reality and facts...
Obvious as no family or friend wants to see you...You need to change your attitude as does Canada, 50 years behind the modern world, I've lived there and KNOW
Of course the rest of us know nothing and are away with the fairies.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 2:08 am
"In cruce vincam"

Graham
I don't think the eggman has grasped the concept that, as an expat forum, actually quite a lot of us have lived there/here. I'm starting to wonder if this is David Icke re-inventing himself.

Last edited by rivingtonpike; Jan 20th 2015 at 2:25 am.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Graham
Are you this socially inept in real life?

Would you walk into a pub, start bellowing your opinions and insisting they're right, ignoring that others have the right to an opinion too and insulting people you don't know?

No? Well don't do it here then.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, and I will say this one more time in hopefully simple terms that you can understand - your opinion is fine, insulting others and belittling their opinions is NOT. It's not your opinions that anybody has a problem with (although really, how much of an obsession with milk prices can one man have?), it's the way you put them across and your very aggressive stance towards others on the forum.

Last chance. Permanent ban button is next.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 12:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
although really, how much of an obsession with milk prices can one man have
Ah. I may be in the right place. The UK has a milk price war in progress so it's easy to find out the price of milk at, say, Tesco's in Shepherd's Bush, but suppose I move here:

4 bedroom detached house for sale in St Sunniva Skete, Fetlar, ZE2 9DJ, ZE2

How much is a gallon of mik?
Old Jan 20th 2015, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before and i'll say it again.

Old people trying to use the internet for the first time crack me up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.