Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Rbc Gave us credit cards straight away too, they were very interested in our UK credit history which we provided to them.
GTE - I think many have different experiences to you, maybe the personal circumstances are different.
Hm... we did show them our UK credit history, maybe it had more of an impact than I thought! The woman at the branch seemed to think it wasn't necessary, but perhaps it was
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:25 am
Banned

graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Rbc Gave us credit cards straight away too, they were very interested in our UK credit history which we provided to them.
GTE - I think many have different experiences to you, maybe the personal circumstances are different.
Well my son's experience in Nova Scotia is very different, employed in the US by a Swiss Drug Company and at Harvard Uni' in very well paid jobs the banks in Nova Scotia were little interested and he warned me. Yes I could use my UK cards till the cows come home but it costs !!
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We too was with HSBC in the UK and signed up whilst in the UK for a Canadian account and received credit card and debit card with no problems and the day we signed up with TD bank (1 day after arriving in Canada) for current account and mortgage we was offered a credit card
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Lychee
Life and regulations and climate and prices and laws and geography, etc. in Nova Scotia differ from life and such in Alberta, or BC, or Ontario, etc. It's entirely inaccurate to take a regional phenomena (rural Nova Scotia) and extrapolate it to a national one (Canada). It's like trying to paint all of Europe with the same brush after a miserable experience in the Orkney Isles.
You have a very good point and I think not appreciated until you live there,
However, Canada is a country, Europe a continent made up of many counties/languages/customs etc. We could go on all night on this !! I leave you with this, Canadian Provence's need to integrate more as a Country-Canada
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:49 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
You have a very good point and I think not appreciated until you live there,
However, Canada is a country, Europe a continent made up of many counties/languages/customs etc. We could go on all night on this !! I leave you with this, Canadian Provence's need to integrate more as a Country-Canada
I'm sorry but I just don't agree with this at all. What happens on a daily basis in Nova Scotia is of no relevance to me on the Pacific coast. We have a federal policy that presents the Canadian international position (for better or worse), but on a daily basis, why homogenise a country the size of Europe? As you say, Europe doesn't.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 1:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I'm sorry but I just don't agree with this at all. What happens on a daily basis in Nova Scotia is of no relevance to me on the Pacific coast. We have a federal policy that presents the Canadian international position (for better or worse), but on a daily basis, why homogenise a country the size of Europe? As you say, Europe doesn't.
Here is the problem, Nova Scotia is part of Canada so if invaded your not interested I take ?
Canada prides its self on being the second largest country in the world, numerically NO, most live within 200 miles of the US border so in reality the vast majority are not that far apart.
Federal Government-Canada is totally dependent on the US for defense and waste millions going through the motions-Irving Brothers NS, who in Vancouver ?
Tell me why is it illegal to ship a case of wins from BC to NS ? Same country.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Different rate of tax?
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Different rate of tax?
No jobs for the boys, I pick up with cornflakes in grocery store UK, one checkout job done
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

No jobs for the boys, I pick up with cornflakes in grocery store UK, one checkout job done
Not sure I follow. But I don't like corn flakes so it doesn't matter really! lol
Old Dec 31st 2014, 1:14 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

We rarely bought wine at the supermarket... Not the cheapest place to buy wine, so we generally used a wine merchant, nicer wine bought in 12's= cheaper.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 4:00 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the problem, Nova Scotia is part of Canada so if invaded your not interested I take ?
Canada prides its self on being the second largest country in the world, numerically NO, most live within 200 miles of the US border so in reality the vast majority are not that far apart.
Federal Government-Canada is totally dependent on the US for defense and waste millions going through the motions-Irving Brothers NS, who in Vancouver ?
Nova Scotia is not invaded on a daily basis. Being close to the US border does not bring the east and west coasts any closer together.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 4:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Different rate of tax?
To be fair, it's very different tax rates from one European country to another but cross border buying of booze isn't much of a problem there.

I do think that - as with Europe - there should be a minimum standard for certain things in Canada and Health Care should definitely be one of them
Old Jan 17th 2015, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Neilclairep is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all comments, I took a break for a while and we have now had a formal job offer, thanks for comments we have made he decision and it is yipeeee we are moving to NS

Please don't rain on my parade - we have researched looked and are at peace with a decision that wasn't easy
Each to their own, you have all been brilliant :-)
Old Jan 17th 2015, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best with your move, fingers crossed our family will do the same very soon...just in the middle of all the forms, assessments etc. I too belive that Nova Scotia can offer us nice and less stressful lifestyle and I do hope for proper winter weather; )))
Originally Posted by Neilclairep
Thanks for all comments, I took a break for a while and we have now had a formal job offer, thanks for comments we have made he decision and it is yipeeee we are moving to NS

Please don't rain on my parade - we have researched looked and are at peace with a decision that wasn't easy
Old Jan 17th 2015, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neilclairep

All the best on your move. We have lived in NS since we moved to Canada in 2008 and for us it was a good move and we still love living here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.