Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Dec 29th 2014, 11:52 pm
Banned

graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by Curious about NS
Merry Christmas to everyone!
My husband has a job in Halifax and he will be going in the next couple of weeks. I will be staying in England with our 2 boys 3 and 8 years old. None of us have ever been to Halifax. Hubby will hopefully rent cheaply and we'll visit with the aim of heading out to join him permanently after a year.
Could do with some help and advice!
We're trying to work out if it's cheaper to pay for extra luggage on the flight or to ship - he wants to take 2 suitcases and his bike when he goes out intiallly. Any ideas on small item shipping costs?
Is it possible to rent all bills included fully furnished for can$750-800? It can be 1bed?
Has anyone else done the move as we're planning to? Any advice welcomed!!
Trying to help you, you MUST watch exchange rates. When in Canada 2013 we only got $1.52 to UK £, today $1.80 BUT if your husband has to send money back to the UK it will hurt big time. Credit cards, it will take 12 months to obtain, UK references mean nothing. Use any other ATM except your own bank they charge unlike UK. Canada may glitter but is not gold I can assure you.
Graham
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
Trying to help you, you MUST watch exchange rates. When in Canada 2013 we only got $1.52 to UK £, today $1.80 BUT if your husband has to send money back to the UK it will hurt big time. Credit cards, it will take 12 months to obtain, UK references mean nothing. Use any other ATM except your own bank they charge unlike UK. Canada may glitter but is not gold I can assure you.
Graham
Another thing to keep in mind, travel costs for you to visit family UK and vice verse, it mounts big time.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 1:19 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Graham
Our experience was rather different (just for perspective). We had Canadian bank accounts, credit cards and a line of credit about 3 months before we moved here. We were also able to get partial credit on a new car (we put down 50% of the cost). We weren't coming here with jobs either (we established our own business over the next 2 years).
Old Dec 30th 2014, 1:30 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Credit cards, it will take 12 months to obtain, UK references mean nothing.
Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Our experience was rather different (just for perspective). We had Canadian bank accounts, credit cards and a line of credit about 3 months before we moved here.
Yep. Plenty of threads here with people getting them instantly.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 1:39 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure the Eggman has a very high opinion of Canada in general (ironic when he applied to stay but was refused). Our experience has been a positive one. We find costs are cheaper (for us). We haven't been back to the UK. Everyone of any importance has wanted to visit us here. The cost of milk isn't a deal breaker for us. We pay $4.87 for 4 litres (2%).
Old Dec 30th 2014, 1:50 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure the Eggman has a very high opinion of Canada in general (ironic when he applied to stay but was refused). Our experience has been a positive one. We find costs are cheaper (for us). We haven't been back to the UK. Everyone of any importance has wanted to visit us here. The cost of milk isn't a deal breaker for us. We pay $4.87 for 4 litres (2%).
I get the feeling he is trying to think of topics to argue over...his post just doesn't ring true. No Canada isn't perfect...where is really?

Btw we did get a five figure credit card within 6 months of being here on a twp.....just saying Gman
Old Dec 30th 2014, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Life and regulations and climate and prices and laws and geography, etc. in Nova Scotia differ from life and such in Alberta, or BC, or Ontario, etc. It's entirely inaccurate to take a regional phenomena (rural Nova Scotia) and extrapolate it to a national one (Canada). It's like trying to paint all of Europe with the same brush after a miserable experience in the Orkney Isles.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 2:14 am
"In cruce vincam"

I think there's perhaps $4500 worth (at least) of resentment that Canada apparently didn't want him.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:17 pm
Banned

Our experience was rather different (just for perspective). We had Canadian bank accounts, credit cards and a line of credit about 3 months before we moved here. We were also able to get partial credit on a new car (we put down 50% of the cost). We weren't coming here with jobs either (we established our own business over the next 2 years).
I'd be very interested to know how you did this based on my son's and our experience both in the US and Canada.
First Canadian and US banks will not pass credit info' between themselves nor are they interested in your UK info'/credit score.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:33 pm
"In cruce vincam"

I'd be very interested to know how you did this based on my son's and our experience both in the US and Canada.
First Canadian and US banks will not pass credit info' between themselves nor are they interested in your UK info'/credit score.
Nothing special. We were HSBC Premier customers with good UK credit ratings which everyone that mattered, or needed them, were happy to take into account. Using their global banking facility we could set up Canadian, US and offshore accounts well in advance of arriving. They also gave us a substantial line of credit - should we have needed it. Credit cards were also provided with a reasonable 5 figure limit. In my naivety I sort of assumed this was the norm! Maybe we were just lucky. I suppose, having been in business for so many years I expect that the bank is there to work for - or at the very least with - me as a minimum level of service. If they don't, I guess I'd look for another bank. They appear to want to keep us on board!
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

My partner and I moved to Nova Scotia in 2013 and both got credit cards within a month of landing. The bank didn't accept our UK credit history, and neither of us had jobs lined up. We went to RBC, I think they had some kind of newcomers package... all I know is it took a couple of weeks but that was it!
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:47 pm
Banned

I think there's perhaps $4500 worth (at least) of resentment that Canada apparently didn't want him.
Wrong, I like Nova Scotia but on reflection I would not want to live there and our lawyer would charge us nothing if we reapplied, we won't. Why, a Canadians words not mine repeat not mine. The Provincial Government has to much control of too much and were 50 years behind the US/EU in so many ways, we complain yes but get no where.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:52 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Rbc Gave us credit cards straight away too, they were very interested in our UK credit history which we provided to them.
GTE - I think many have different experiences to you, maybe the personal circumstances are different.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It was providing my credit records that persuaded the Canadian bank to give me a credit card after they had originally turned me down for lack of a credit record.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:10 am
Banned

Nothing special. We were HSBC Premier customers with good UK credit ratings which everyone that mattered, or needed them, were happy to take into account. Using their global banking facility we could set up Canadian, US and offshore accounts well in advance of arriving. They also gave us a substantial line of credit - should we have needed it. Credit cards were also provided with a reasonable 5 figure limit. In my naivety I sort of assumed this was the norm! Maybe we were just lucky. I suppose, having been in business for so many years I expect that the bank is there to work for - or at the very least with - me as a minimum level of service. If they don't, I guess I'd look for another bank. They appear to want to keep us on board!
HSBC Premier Account interesting you had money ! I have but banked with Lloyds for 40 years but knew it meant nothing in Canada so open an HSBC account just before we left as HSBC are world wide, it meant sod all in Canada new account, but they've given me a big overdraft/credit card etc I said just walking in off the street moving no money !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.