Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Dec 10th 2014, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Silverdragon102 thank you will check it out...are you working within residential settings or public health...from past posts I remember two nurses one from residential settings and one doing public health...could I email you with few more questions?
Old Dec 10th 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I work LTC but you can work both or get casual jobs in various areas. More than happy for you to email me with questions. Send me a pm
Old Dec 11th 2014, 6:38 pm
Banned

graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MillieF
You read my mind....I was thinking that yesterday evening....I'm trying to find things to take my mind of the spot of bad weather....he'd do quite nicely!
I'm here
Old Dec 11th 2014, 8:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lost Boy
Hi Claire,

I came out a couple of months before my family and had a chance to look at houses with a realtor while my wife was handling the sale of our house in Northumberland. I ended up buying one in Haliburton Hills which at the time was a fairly new development. Our belongings were sent out in a shipping container and took two or three weeks to arrive so at first we were camping out in the house. We liked it in Haliburton and ended up staying there for twelve years, there are lots of young families there, the streets are quiet and there are parks for the little kids. All the houses have 1 acre or so of land, mostly trees. Also it is close to shops, the library and gas stations. We since bought a building lot in another subdivision and built a more custom home, I used to be a joiner in the UK so that came in handy.
An unexpected thing for us was the strong trade union system and restrictive work practises that remind me of the 1970's in Britain. My wife, as a mid career teacher back then, had to start all over at the very bottom of the ladder as a substitute, then work her way up through term positions finally to a full time job, it's all about "seniority" in teaching although I can't comment on nursing, her previous teaching experience in England didn't count for much. She was pretty depressed about this for the first couple of years and we struggled financially, relying heavily on our savings to make ends meet. Taxation is high here so be prepared for that. If I work overtime I lose 47% in offtakes. Having said all that, we feel better off financially in Canada than we used to in the UK, and on balance I think we made the right decision, even considering the neverending winters!

Best
Steve
Hi Steve
Trade Unions, Spanish/restrictive practices your bang on there but Canadians don't understand. If they realised what it costs them they would start asking questions
How can milk be 2 bucks a litre no tax with gas now around $1.10. Please don't say they get no government subsides, at this price the farmers are just laughing at the consumer
Old Dec 11th 2014, 8:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
Your silly ranting is boring.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 10:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Your silly ranting is boring.
You just ignore the reality of the rest of the Western World.

OK explain this, why have Irving Brothers one of Canada's richest families been given a 250 million dollar "Forgivable Loan" by NS Government ? Have they built a ship, NO. Have they sign a contract to build ships NO. Anyone ask any question NO. Irvings Empire is in NS so where are they going to build in Vancouver without what I would call a Big Back Hander, I doubt.
We are in the 21st century, Canada is way behind. Rant, no it's me saying wake up Canada and move forward, at present your stagnated in the 1970's in so many ways.
Gambling/Liquor/Dairy Farming and more all controlled by provincial NS government, no free enterprise/competition that's one step from communism like it or not.
Your answers will be interesting, I look forward.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 10:39 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

OK explain this, why have Irving Brothers one of Canada's richest families been given a 250 million dollar "Forgivable Loan" by NS Government ? Have they built a ship, NO. Have they sign a contract to build ships NO. Anyone ask any question NO. Irvings Empire is in NS so where are they going to build in Vancouver without what I would call a Big Back Hander, I doubt.
We are in the 21st century, Canada is way behind. Rant, no it's me saying wake up Canada and move forward, at present your stagnated in the 1970's in so many ways.
Gambling/Liquor/Dairy Farming and more all controlled by provincial NS government, no free enterprise/competition that's one step from communism like it or not.
Actually the Irving empire is based in St. John, NB. Granted they do have various interests in NS but the center of their universe in NB.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 10:42 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't from Wisconsin by any chance are you?
Old Dec 11th 2014, 11:02 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=Simon Legree;11499804]Actually the Irving empire is based in St. John, NB. Granted they do have various interests in NS but the center of their universe in NB.[/QUOTE
]
Thanks and noted but all the new shipyard "Hangers" or Covered Yards-ships normal built in the open ? Big dollars spent in Halifax not NB, no sign of any ships under construction either.
We waste billions in the UK another story. Nova Scotia CANNOT afford with it's small population to do the same but appears to do so.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 11:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
You aren't from Wisconsin by any chance are you?
Madison have lived and better than Halifax NS. Canada so backward.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Well as a family unit I don't give a shit about taxes etc...i don't care if I will pay two three or seven bucks for milk...i don't care about the union monopoly all the issues raised by you...all I care about is a different lifestyle, different climate and more affordable way of living...and no matter what you are gonna say... you are wrong, life is never black or white...life is for living
Old Dec 11th 2014, 11:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
Well as a family unit I don't give a shit about taxes etc...i don't care if I will pay two three or seven bucks for milk...i don't care about the union monopoly all the issues raised by you...all I care about is a different lifestyle, different climate and more affordable way of living...and no matter what you are gonna say... you are wrong, life is never black or white...life is for living
Correct BUT Canada is old fashioned/out of date etc and relies on the US for defense.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

And that's what I love about the country...i love old fashion...nothing wrong with us defense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.