Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:06 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
Little is cheaper and most is dearer, very small example, a haircut in Halifax cheapest was $25 in the UK I pay $9 and no tip expected or required.

I think you have made your point, like I said if you are prepared to adapt you can off set the expensive crap with other things, eg we make our own wine, on tap and available whenever we like
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:06 pm
Banned

graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
@graham the eggman

Hope I'm not opening a can of worms but what made you so bitter?
The price you pay for beer and many complain but fail to understand why !! Reason, the provincial liquor boards give no wholesale discount to bars over what we pay and in some cases they are charged even more !!
So your bar prices get greatly inflated compared to the US/UK/EU.It's an antiquated system that just benefits those that work there-none jobs in effect.
Sobeys/Walmart/Costco etc could handle/distribute at little extra cost.
I love Canada but it needs to catch up with the modern world in more ways than one
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:43 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

But does it really?
Take the dairy industry in the UK. Farmers are being forced to sell their milk to the big supermarkets for next to nothing. Couple that with insane amounts of paperwork just to move their livestock down the road to a field that's still their property and farming is now very very difficult. Many farmers are having to change their lives or else they wont be able to pay their bills. Many are no longer farming, they cant afford to.

That is a big problem, its a factor of modern day life in the UK. Farmers here would say why? why? that's nuts! The UK needs to change etc etc.

Its not perfect anywhere is what I am trying to say. It depends on what you are used to, what history is in place to make something the way it is, what is affected by change..... its not all black and white. Even though we would all like it to be.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:47 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming

I think you have made your point, like I said if you are prepared to adapt you can off set the expensive crap with other things, eg we make our own wine, on tap and available whenever we like
Exactly.
And lets be honest, in the UK you can buy your booze cheaply, your new phone for a good price and shop around to your hearts content for cheap cheap clothes that may or may not fall apart in the first wash and choose your energy provider, although eventually you find that actually your bill is pretty similar to what it was before you changed. Sadly though many cant afford to buy a home, even a tiny one, without a buy/rent combo.
That is what is ridiculous about the UK. Young people priced out of the market that have no hope to buy their first home.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:08 am
Banned

I did this and the NSLC tried to shut Uvint in Lacewood-Halifax down, a monopoly again trying to kill free enterprise.
This is Canada's problem, big business hates competition, do you know Air Canada lobbed to block Emirates Airlines-Dubai on some routes into Canada, they don't even fly from there !!! There's a lot more can I can tell you that is very very wrong compared with the rest of the modern world. Farming Quota System is why you pay so much for milk etc but I'm tired.
Cheers
Graham
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:13 am

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I did this and the NSLC tried to shut Uvint in Lacewood-Halifax down, a monopoly again trying to kill free enterprise.
This is Canada's problem, big business hates competition, do you know Air Canada lobbed to block Emirates Airlines-Dubai on some routes into Canada, they don't even fly from there !!! There's a lot more can I can tell you that is very very wrong compared with the rest of the modern world. Farming Quota System is why you pay so much for milk etc but I'm tired.
Cheers
Graham
Who cares, I don't , your trolling this thread
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:16 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

You pick up on this quicker Nikki...it's your age! But I think you have made a very valid point well done that woman!
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to pop in to say we're another couple from the Uk who are very happy in NS. Career is definitely the main thing, if you have that you're fine (we're both starting businesses so it's been tough to start with!).

Sounds like graham the eggman is mainly annoyed about the price and inconvenience of buying alcohol. I love it. Neither of us drink, and I hated the drink culture of the UK with all it's supermarket buy one get one free offers and so on. I like that there is one place to go to buy alcohol. And I live semi-rural NS in the Valley and I have 8 farm markets, sobeys, superstore, walmart, valufoods, food land and save easy to choose from. And I can get from one to the other a lot quicker than I could get from Tesco to morrisons in Glasgow! The trick is to learn where to shop for what items. Which is part of learning how a different country works. Yes, Canada is a different country. Which is why it's not the same as the UK

To the OP, feel free to send me a message if you need any specific info about NS
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:27 am
Happy

+1
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

7 years in NS & still loving it :0))
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Howefamily
But does it really?
Take the dairy industry in the UK. Farmers are being forced to sell their milk to the big supermarkets for next to nothing. Couple that with insane amounts of paperwork just to move their livestock down the road to a field that's still their property and farming is now very very difficult. Many farmers are having to change their lives or else they wont be able to pay their bills. Many are no longer farming, they cant afford to.

That is a big problem, its a factor of modern day life in the UK. Farmers here would say why? why? that's nuts! The UK needs to change etc etc.

Its not perfect anywhere is what I am trying to say. It depends on what you are used to, what history is in place to make something the way it is, what is affected by change..... its not all black and white. Even though we would all like it to be.
Wrong, I ran a poultry farm-eggs-for over 20 years. Competitive/cut throat you would not understand in Canada and we had no subsidies from the EU.
Milk a big problem in the UK but in Canada the farmers are getting 3/4 times the price which in a nut shell they fix under the quota system and you the consumer pay far to much for-another monopoly.
Cheese, why is a 246% import levy put on EU/US/NZ imports ?? A 5 buck piece of cheese in Canada might feed a mouse in the UK.
The quota system stops new blood entering, kills all incentives to increase production. How the hell can a quota license for one cow be worth $28000, answer that's how much money they make but most Canadians fail to understand the system, I DO and do not like being rip off.
I rest my case !! I love Nova Scotia BUT
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by izzi81
Just wanted to pop in to say we're another couple from the Uk who are very happy in NS. Career is definitely the main thing, if you have that you're fine (we're both starting businesses so it's been tough to start with!).

Sounds like graham the eggman is mainly annoyed about the price and inconvenience of buying alcohol. I love it. Neither of us drink, and I hated the drink culture of the UK with all it's supermarket buy one get one free offers and so on. I like that there is one place to go to buy alcohol. And I live semi-rural NS in the Valley and I have 8 farm markets, sobeys, superstore, walmart, valufoods, food land and save easy to choose from. And I can get from one to the other a lot quicker than I could get from Tesco to morrisons in Glasgow! The trick is to learn where to shop for what items. Which is part of learning how a different country works. Yes, Canada is a different country. Which is why it's not the same as the UK

To the OP, feel free to send me a message if you need any specific info about NS
How can you love it if you don't drink ? How can it be more efficient to go through 2 check outs rather than one ?
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How can you love it if you don't drink ? How can it be more efficient to go through 2 check outs rather than one ?
Why would someone who doesn't drink go through two check outs? Is it because lack of alcohol has so adled their brains that they queue up not to buy booze?
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:11 am

Wrong, I ran a poultry farm-eggs-for over 20 years. Competitive/cut throat you would not understand in Canada and we had no subsidies from the EU.
Milk a big problem in the UK but in Canada the farmers are getting 3/4 times the price which in a nut shell they fix under the quota system and you the consumer pay far to much for-another monopoly.
Cheese, why is a 246% import levy put on EU/US/NZ imports ?? A 5 buck piece of cheese in Canada might feed a mouse in the UK.
The quota system stops new blood entering, kills all incentives to increase production. How the hell can a quota license for one cow be worth $28000, answer that's how much money they make but most Canadians fail to understand the system, I DO and do not like being rip off.
I rest my case !! I love Nova Scotia BUT
Why don't you tell us and the op what you do love, may give some of your posts a bit of integrity and balance
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:11 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

What on earth are you on about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.