Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
OK right, how many supermarkets have you ? Here in Bromsgrove UK, small town. We have Morrison/Sainsbury/Asda/Aldi and small shops plus 14 pubs...
There you go again, not comparing like with like.

As it happens, though, I have the two main rivals, Sobeys (x4), Superstore (x3) plus Co-op, Independent store plus other outlets just on this side of town, all trying to outdo each other. Sorry about that.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 10th 2014 at 2:57 am.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I have no complaints. I have settled quite happily over here and have no real urges to go back to the UK.
Just need to source Christmas cake and I will be happy
Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Neilclairep is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your responses, I did a lot if thinking in the flight back from Halifax and will say I am a little deflated with the pack of positive responses.
A couple of things
1. I am really not bothered about costs or where I purchase alcohol - this wouldn't make or break my decision, whilst I appreciate it being pointed out there are pages dedicated to it :-(
2. Shopping - I realise I can't compare like for like and Canada has different offers and better offers - this is why I tried to look at those items NOT on offer in either Canada or UK to give worst case scenario. I can't so a full on camp at it use shop but instead did what I could under the circumstances (please let me know how you may have compared shopping costs ?)
3. Friendly Canadians and not taking the friendliness at face value - I am by nature very open minded, but and whether you agree or not is entirely your choice I do take people at face value until given reason not to.

I was entering into this with an open mind , trying to explore options and wanted view points of others - I hadn't expected the negativity around living in Canada (specifically N'S?)
PLEASE let's not live up to what others see the brits as - wingers (I suppose every nationality generalises)
I am happy to have the bad points, but I haven't seen any good points on this thread are there!!
:-( not great for supporting people I understand having to give all views but nothing good does this mean most will be moving back to the uk???
Old Nov 10th 2014, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neilclairep
Thank you all for your responses, I did a lot if thinking in the flight back from Halifax and will say I am a little deflated with the pack of positive responses.
A couple of things
1. I am really not bothered about costs or where I purchase alcohol - this wouldn't make or break my decision, whilst I appreciate it being pointed out there are pages dedicated to it :-(
2. Shopping - I realise I can't compare like for like and Canada has different offers and better offers - this is why I tried to look at those items NOT on offer in either Canada or UK to give worst case scenario. I can't so a full on camp at it use shop but instead did what I could under the circumstances (please let me know how you may have compared shopping costs ?)
3. Friendly Canadians and not taking the friendliness at face value - I am by nature very open minded, but and whether you agree or not is entirely your choice I do take people at face value until given reason not to.

I was entering into this with an open mind , trying to explore options and wanted view points of others - I hadn't expected the negativity around living in Canada (specifically N'S?)
PLEASE let's not live up to what others see the brits as - wingers (I suppose every nationality generalises)
I am happy to have the bad points, but I haven't seen any good points on this thread are there!!
:-( not great for supporting people I understand having to give all views but nothing good does this mean most will be moving back to the uk???
There have been some positives, Dandhill & Howefamily are pretty upbeat about the place.

I think the general consensus (which really applies when moving anywhere) is expect things to be different to the UK or you'll end up disappointed, frustrated, & a bit bitter.

NS is a lovely place with friendly people & sense of community which (I feel) the UK seems to have lost over the years. It's a good place to settle as long as you have the job/income side of things sorted, the right attitude, & are someone who thinks they can adapt to the lifestyle there. The other stuff people complain about is just down to personal preferences. In the grand scheme of things does it really matter if you have to buy alcohol from a different store, err no, just accept that's how it's done there & move on. Don't let other peoples silly little niggles put a grey cloud over your plans.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by confused_uk
There have been some positives, Dandhill & Howefamily are pretty upbeat about the place.

I think the general consensus (which really applies when moving anywhere) is expect things to be different to the UK or you'll end up disappointed, frustrated, & a bit bitter.

NS is a lovely place with friendly people & sense of community which (I feel) the UK seems to have lost over the years. It's a good place to settle as long as you have the job/income side of things sorted, the right attitude, & are someone who thinks they can adapt to the lifestyle there. The other stuff people complain about is just down to personal preferences. In the grand scheme of things does it really matter if you have to buy alcohol from a different store, err no, just accept that's how it's done there & move on. Don't let other peoples silly little niggles put a grey cloud over your plans.
Thank you and absolutely agree, the howe family have helped no end through personal messages and dandhill also have been upbeat (Christmas cake made me chuckle) just frustrated at other people's niggles as you rightly say - apologises for those that have been commented it wasn't aimed at you I just wanted both sides :-)
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to your question about furniture, it is generally more a tad more expensive which is why most people decide to ship their stuff over. Will the employer be covering your moving costs? If so it would definitely be worth you shipping. There's a bit of a second hand culture, a lot of people make use of garage sales & a website called Kijiji for buying & selling furniture.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you , our employer would cover all costs - so it good to hear to buy over here or to look at 2nd hand items :-)
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Did you enjoy your trip? What areas did you end up seeing?

Last edited by confused_uk; Nov 10th 2014 at 10:29 am.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:40 am
Just Joined

We loved our trip - we stayed in halifax itself, work put us up in the Marriott on the harbour.
We did a little tourist trip to Peggy's cove which is gorgeous but after that all down to areas - we viewed Bedford, Waverley, windsor junction, Fall River and hammonds plain, but Fall River seemed to be really lovely area.
Obviously we don't know for definite, work seem to favour Bedford but the lack of outdoor space has put us off a little.
We spent time around where Neil will work in bayers lake
In all honesty we spent a lot of time in the car driving around parking up walking and trying to get a feel for areas
2 days isn't a lot, but, I think you do need to trust your gut at some point as 2 days or 2 months there would always be doubt.
We may revisit in February time, this time bringing the children but this is dependant on findings between now and then :-)
I have to say I loved Canada, maybe rose tinted glasses I don't know - I am nervous about it so am open to any possibility or issues that could arise hopefully there won't be many but if there are....
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Having re read all the posts - I owe some people on here a massive apology. I think lack of sleep from the flight and missing my 2 boys at home made me grumpy and did not go through all comments . The majority are making valid points and I really do thank you for all the points made and hope you all continue to comment and ignore my grumpiness after a long flight and a busy weekend :-)
Old Nov 10th 2014, 12:18 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Having re read all the posts - I owe some people on here a massive apology. I think lack of sleep from the flight and missing my 2 boys at home made me grumpy and did not go through all comments . The majority are making valid points and I really do thank you for all the points made and hope you all continue to comment and ignore my grumpiness after a long flight and a busy weekend :-)
The period after I visited Fredericton, decided to move, look at houses and schools etc....I think I could have been described as being certifiably insane
I look back on that time and wonder why I didn't just run! You brain moves constantly from one thing to another and it's exhausting.

Your posts have made me look at Halifax, i had a big google yesterday, and it looks a lovely city. I work with a couple of people who lived there for a number of years and they really enjoyed it, although they are young, free and single.

If your husband takes the job, I am assuming it won't be forever if you don't want it to be?
Old Nov 10th 2014, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
The period after I visited Fredericton, decided to move, look at houses and schools etc....I think I could have been described as being certifiably insane
I look back on that time and wonder why I didn't just run! You brain moves constantly from one thing to another and it's exhausting.

Your posts have made me look at Halifax, i had a big google yesterday, and it looks a lovely city. I work with a couple of people who lived there for a number of years and they really enjoyed it, although they are young, free and single.

If your husband takes the job, I am assuming it won't be forever if you don't want it to be?
It has certainly been a hectic weekend, and you are right my brain has literally been jumping all over the place (it's a good job I have a laid back and relaxed husband don't think we could do it with 2 of me -!)
I would definatly agree the centre is not for families, it is a place full of bars and restaurants very much for the singleton - although such lovely restaurants, not one for everyday but the bicycle thief was amazing :-) x

We would keep our current house in the uk, and have said we could come back but...not having that as the plan but keeping the house as an investment (we don't need to sell it so may as well get rental income ) so the plan would be to throw ourselves in wholehearted :-)
Old Nov 10th 2014, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haha, it's a lot of information to absorb in a short amount of time, so I'm sure you're forgiven. Glad you liked it sounds liked you packed a lot in, Good luck with your decision making
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if it's been said before but NS seems to be like Marmite.

Those that want away appear to do so for reasons relating to work. If that's sorted then people seem happy enough.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We would keep our current house in the uk, and have said we could come back but...not having that as the plan but keeping the house as an investment (we don't need to sell it so may as well get rental income ) so the plan would be to throw ourselves in wholehearted :-)
Be careful with this. If the house is mortgaged and falls in value and the exchange rate moves against you, you could be stuck with a difficult bill to pay. There are lots of past threads on renting out a house and moving, have a read and be aware that the mortgage holder will want to renegotiate (not by reducing your rate).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.