Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potential Move

Potential Move

Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:02 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Move

I have met a few Canadians who leave here to go to Uni in the UK (which they are super excited about) and what I cannot wrap my head around is if they do this does it mean that their qualifications are worth squat here (as seems to be the case for many Brits moving to Canada from the UK)??

It confuses me.....
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the UK would be nice in some parts if it's a new experience for them.
My bachelors degree is only equal to my training as an apprentice as far as the immigration questionnaire is concerned but I'm hoping it'll help with progressing in my career in 10 years time etc
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
From what I've seen, getting 106,000CAD isn't a realistic expectation. It is possible to get salaries in that region but I would not expect to unless you're in a senior position or working out of a camp. The majority of job advertisements I've seen show more around the 60 to 70k region. I think as a graduate, new to the country, you're unlikely to command a large salary.

If money is your primary driver, I wonder if it is even worth it. I too am an engineer, Canada doesn't look too much better salary wise for engineers.
I have friends in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, UAE, Qatar and Bahrain; with the exception of NZ those countries are much easier to go to for work, no registration required and offer better salary packages. You could always go contracting in the UK for money, that's what I do and the money is great, but money isn't everything.

I think if you move to Canada to get rich from engineering, you'll end up cold and disappointed.
I would generally agree that this sounds high for a graduate, although you do have some experience. Canadians like their pieces of paper. Depending on where you move to you will need 4 years of experience working under the direction of a Professional Engineer to meet the experience requirements for registration as a professional engineer yourself. Until then you cannot call yourself an engineer.

I am a geotechnical rather than mechanical with 8+ years experience and on the verge of my P.Eng. I am south of 100k but I do live in Vancouver which tends to have lower pay than elsewhere. 'Engineer' salaries are generally higher than in UK.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:35 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jproberts
haha yes it was hard work saving for a deposit whilst everyone else was enjoying themselves in university
That's what I did as well but I still couldn't afford a house.

I honestly think you are taking too much on with a degree, house, wedding and now you want to emmigrate...
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

The $106k given on that website is an average for all mech engineers APEGS puts the average mech salary at 103k probably not far off a Canadian average.

Not likely to get that as a new graduate but perfectly realistic after a few years.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info regarding salaries, it's good to hear from people who've experienced it themselves.

As for taking too much on.. I know it could seem like that but my degree is through Open University and i'm finding the workload relatively easy to manage. The house is exactly how we want it, we've been settled in for a year now, the wedding is in Zante so there really isn't much hassle involved with that and it's a quarter of the price of a traditional wedding. Emigrating i'm sure will be alot of hassle etc and stress at the time but financially we've got £20,000 worth of finance free cars which will fund the majority of the actual move.

Last edited by jproberts; Nov 15th 2016 at 4:51 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 2:57 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jproberts
but financially we've got £20,000 worth of finance free cars which will fund the majority of the actual move.
Just an FYI, if you get an invitation to apply for PR they need to see the funds in your bank account for at least 6 months before the application.

You can't put your Audi/BMW down as proof of funds.

Edit: I just re-read your original post and I see you live in South Wales aka super cheap housing as I was getting puzzled as to how 21 year olds could get a house.

Last edited by beckiwoo; Nov 16th 2016 at 3:04 am.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

The OP may be 21 but he most likely started his apprenticeship at 16 so has been working for 5 years in a highly skilled job with no student debt. That's how a 21 year old can afford a house

A lot of people choose to stay in school go to uni maybe a gap year then add 5 years of work experience and a person is 27-29 before they are in this position.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 3:52 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by johntheScot
The OP may be 21 but he most likely started his apprenticeship at 16 so has been working for 5 years in a highly skilled job with no student debt. That's how a 21 year old can afford a house

A lot of people choose to stay in school go to uni maybe a gap year then add 5 years of work experience and a person is 27-29 before they are in this position.
Or older even after uni. 32 here and still no nearer and I have a down payment...

If it's an apprenticeship then that's different as I know a few people that got houses in early 20s. Full time uni course coming straight out of school - probably not...
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

... you live in Vancouver and earn ~$35k i am not sure there is much hope.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:11 am
Bex in the city

... you live in Vancouver and earn ~$35k i am not sure there is much hope.
$39k actually and almost $50k with a second job...

I also want to leave Vancouver...it's not a no hope on the east coast!
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

yeah if owning a home is important to you then i cant see how an average person can do it in a place like Vancouver.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

The $106k given on that website is an average for all mech engineers APEGS puts the average mech salary at 103k probably not far off a Canadian average.

Not likely to get that as a new graduate but perfectly realistic after a few years.
I would use the annual salary surveys put out by the licensing associations. Each association does one. For example APEGS is located here.
http://www.apegs.ca/Portal/Sites-Man...lts/pdf/1/1033

For instance in the 2015 APEGS survey the mean salary for someone who graduated in 2014 would be $64k. Lets assume because of your previous experience prior to graduating you would be in the top 75%tile then you could expect a salary of 72K. Getting your license as an Engineer makes a huge difference to pay as you will see but you will need 3+ years after graduating (you can normally count 1 year of pre-graduation work experience) towards the total of 4 years, Ultimately thought it is having the experience to satisfy the competencies required and your sponsors.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

A P.Eng is essential in the consulting industry seems to be a little less important in the manufacturing industry.

One thing I would as the OP to check is that his degree will be recognized under the Washington accord. I recall something in my paperwork that required the degree to be taught and that correspondence degrees were not recognised.

don't think its a game stopper but you may have to jump through some hoops do some exams. Worth making some enquiries to the individual associations as your path may not be straight forward.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

A P.Eng is essential in the consulting industry seems to be a little less important in the manufacturing industry.

One thing I would as the OP to check is that his degree will be recognized under the Washington accord. I recall something in my paperwork that required the degree to be taught and that correspondence degrees were not recognised.

don't think its a game stopper but you may have to jump through some hoops do some exams. Worth making some enquiries to the individual associations as your path may not be straight forward.
A manufacturer would still require at least 1 P.Eng, assuming they can directly oversee all works, to sign and seal all design drawings, reports and specifications.

I would consider it vital to hit the higher salaries and especially if the OP ever wants to use the title Engineer.

I share your concern on a degree done with open university OP is very likely to be made to sit technical exams prior to registration.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Nov 16th 2016 at 3:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.