British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/postpone-move-canada-power-move-578542/)

halftheworldaway Dec 14th 2008 9:22 pm

Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 
I'm interested to find out if anyone has postponed their move to Canada because of the Credit crunch / Recession or are people continuing with the move.

Personally I think I'll have to put it on hold as I doubt I could sell my house at the moment.

JoolsGod Dec 14th 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by neilt (Post 7067031)
I'm interested to find out if anyone has postponed their move to Canada because of the Credit crunch / Recession or are people continuing with the move.

Personally I think I'll have to put it on hold as I doubt I could sell my house at the moment.


We are going ahead, have decided to rent our house out for a year or so and see what the market is like then. It's not something we really want to do but we also don't want to put it all on hold. I suppose if it all goes wrong at least we will still have a home here.

KJM Dec 14th 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by neilt (Post 7067031)
I'm interested to find out if anyone has postponed their move to Canada because of the Credit crunch / Recession or are people continuing with the move.

Personally I think I'll have to put it on hold as I doubt I could sell my house at the moment.

I'm going mid Jan, personally i think you should sell your house then consider if it is the right time to go.

K:)

Coffeepot Dec 14th 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by neilt (Post 7067031)
I'm interested to find out if anyone has postponed their move to Canada because of the Credit crunch / Recession or are people continuing with the move.

Personally I think I'll have to put it on hold as I doubt I could sell my house at the moment.

Hi Neilt, we haven't postponed it as such but will like lots not be able to go until the house is sold and only if we get enough money from it.

Sorry to hear your house won't sell, have you tried ?

seanyg Dec 14th 2008 9:28 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 
We're trying to forget about it at the moment, to be honest. Not through lack of enthusiasm or change of heart, but for purely financial reasons. Like yourselves, we can't afford to drop the price on our house (it's £20k higher than similar houses in our area and that's where it'll stay till the market picks up!:() so we're hoping our application process takes longer than anticipated. Ironically, we went on the pnp to get there quicker, but now we have our pnp nomination we're delaying submitting our application until the deadline (next April) so, assuming we get our meds done next summer (that's allowing CHC a few months to process our pnp) we'll have to land by summer 2010, go through immigration, maybe have a 2nd recce (having paid all that money for flights), then fly back and return to our UK lives until the housing market over here picks up. :unsure:

Nightmare isn't it? I get so mad when I think about it, :curse: I'm just trying to concentrate on other things at the mo to take my mind off it (like trying to think of baby names!:p).

Anita :thumbup:

G586 Dec 14th 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by neilt (Post 7067031)
I'm interested to find out if anyone has postponed their move to Canada because of the Credit crunch / Recession or are people continuing with the move.

Personally I think I'll have to put it on hold as I doubt I could sell my house at the moment.

We were relying on money that we had in shares, picked the wrong shares and lost a packet, can't sell our property and won't be in a position to move within timescale for fulfilling residency obligations so we withdrew just as we got med requests.

My OH has a very specialised job so without capital, we were stuffed as there is no equivalent in Canada so we would have needed time/cash to do something else.

FlirtyKnickers Dec 14th 2008 9:32 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by seanyg (Post 7067055)
We're trying to forget about it at the moment, to be honest. Not through lack of enthusiasm or change of heart, but for purely financial reasons. Like yourselves, we can't afford to drop the price on our house (it's £20k higher than similar houses in our area and that's where it'll stay till the market picks up!:() so we're hoping our application process takes longer than anticipated. Ironically, we went on the pnp to get there quicker, but now we have our pnp nomination we're delaying submitting our application until the deadline (next April) so, assuming we get our meds done next summer (that's allowing CHC a few months to process our pnp) we'll have to land by summer 2010, go through immigration, maybe have a 2nd recce (having paid all that money for flights), then fly back and return to our UK lives until the housing market over here picks up. :unsure:

Nightmare isn't it? I get so mad when I think about it, :curse: I'm just trying to concentrate on other things at the mo to take my mind off it (like trying to think of baby names!:p).

Anita :thumbup:


Hi Anita....tonnes here in the same boat....bloody credit crunch:mad:

We're landing in a few days time...got our PR and then need to come back and sell the house....thought about dropping the price again but to be honest, i don't want to....my house is worth what it's valued at...we shall see how long i can stick being here and not there!!!:rofl:

FlirtyKnickers Dec 14th 2008 9:33 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by G586 (Post 7067060)
We were relying on money that we had in shares, picked the wrong shares and lost a packet, can't sell our property and won't be in a position to move within timescale for fulfilling residency obligations so we withdrew just as we got med requests.

My OH has a very specialised job so without capital, we were stuffed as there is no equivalent in Canada so we would have needed time/cash to do something else.

Sorry to hear that G586....will you apply again in the future???

Coffeepot Dec 14th 2008 9:36 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by G586 (Post 7067060)
We were relying on money that we had in shares, picked the wrong shares and lost a packet, can't sell our property and won't be in a position to move within timescale for fulfilling residency obligations so we withdrew just as we got med requests.

My OH has a very specialised job so without capital, we were stuffed as there is no equivalent in Canada so we would have needed time/cash to do something else.

So sorry to hear this :( i hope you can do it still one day,

tinytears Dec 14th 2008 9:42 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 
We are going regardless. The house is on the market, currently £10K less than all the others in the area but we still can't sell. We will rent it out if necessary.

God knows how we are going to cobble the money together. We are taking the minimum so we pay less shipping - so we aren't taking the cabinets or the dining room furniture or kitchen table. We will sell the cars, the few shares we had are virtually worthless now but they will go. We will do without everything when we are there until we can afford to buy new. I hope that whereever we rent has a washing machine, if not I'll be going to my brothers a lot to start off with.

We considered putting it off but both sets of our parents are getting older (one of my inlaws had a very bad fall last week and landed in hospital) and the kids are getting independent and we feel that if we don't go now we will miss our window of opportunity as awful as that may sound.

tinytears Dec 14th 2008 9:43 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by G586 (Post 7067060)
We were relying on money that we had in shares, picked the wrong shares and lost a packet, can't sell our property and won't be in a position to move within timescale for fulfilling residency obligations so we withdrew just as we got med requests.

My OH has a very specialised job so without capital, we were stuffed as there is no equivalent in Canada so we would have needed time/cash to do something else.

What a shame. I hope you find a way to get there eventually.

FlirtyKnickers Dec 14th 2008 9:45 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by tinytears (Post 7067101)
We are going regardless. The house is on the market, currently £10K less than all the others in the area but we still can't sell. We will rent it out if necessary.

God knows how we are going to cobble the money together. We are taking the minimum so we pay less shipping - so we aren't taking the cabinets or the dining room furniture or kitchen table. We will sell the cars, the few shares we had are virtually worthless now but they will go. We will do without everything when we are there until we can afford to buy new. I hope that whereever we rent has a washing machine, if not I'll be going to my brothers a lot to start off with.

We considered putting it off but both sets of our parents are getting older (one of my inlaws had a very bad fall last week and landed in hospital) and the kids are getting independent and we feel that if we don't go now we will miss our window of opportunity as awful as that may sound.

You have to do whats right for you hun.....Good Luck with your move.:thumbsup:

halftheworldaway Dec 14th 2008 9:46 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 7067054)
Hi Neilt, we haven't postponed it as such but will like lots not be able to go until the house is sold and only if we get enough money from it.

Sorry to hear your house won't sell, have you tried ?


We haven't tried to sell, but going by similar houses in the area which have been on the market for ages we would struggle to sell.

It's really frustrating as I had a telephone interview with a company at the start of the summer which went well but just couldn't move as quickly enough cos of the downturn in the housing market.:curse:


Sorry to hear of your situation G586, hope it works out in the end.

FlirtyKnickers Dec 14th 2008 9:49 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 

Originally Posted by neilt (Post 7067120)
We haven't tried to sell, but going by similar houses in the area which have been on the market for ages we would struggle to sell.

It's really frustrating as I had a telephone interview with a company at the start of the summer which went well but just couldn't move as quickly enough cos of the downturn in the housing market.:curse:


Sorry to hear of your situation G586, hope it works out in the end.

Stick your house on the market after Xmas.....you've nothing to loose:thumbsup: I'm sure you'll get another interview and things could work out for you this time.....Finger crossed and all that:thumbsup:

G77 Dec 14th 2008 9:53 pm

Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move
 
Tried to sell our house for about 6 months - couldn't, so ended up renting it out at a loss.... Now the interest rates have dropped, we're now making a small profit, so that has worked out quite well and we got to move here. Hopefully we will be able to sell at some point and we can remain here....


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.