Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:25 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by Rainey69
I don't think she's fussy ya know.......tis CHOCOLATE!!!!
hey you.....it has to be hot chocolate
or if they still did it i'd have the beef sandwich, but they don't so ill have the chilli and flick the beans at rainey
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

scousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

I was about to reply and say we were forging ahead with the move to Calgary despite the falling £ and getting about 20% less than we hoped for the house. Then I got a call last night saying the job offer I had was being withdrawn. I suspected it would as it was taking ages to get the final authorisation for the job despite being told it was just a formality.

I applied for TWP based on the provisional job offer and will have to see if I can cancel that and maybe get the fee back.

So it's back to square one. Canada is off the agenda for the time being as finding a job ASAP is priority number one.

In one way it's a relief as moving there on a TWP with the world economy in turmoil was scaring the cr@p out of me. The worst thing that could have happened would have been moving there and then losing the job.

Funnily enough since starting this reply I have had a call from an agency for a job on contract at a bank in London. So hopefully as one door closes and other one opens.

SM
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:39 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scousemartin
I was about to reply and say we were forging ahead with the move to Calgary despite the falling £ and getting about 20% less than we hoped for the house. Then I got a call last night saying the job offer I had was being withdrawn. I suspected it would as it was taking ages to get the final authorisation for the job despite being told it was just a formality.

I applied for TWP based on the provisional job offer and will have to see if I can cancel that and maybe get the fee back.

So it's back to square one. Canada is off the agenda for the time being as finding a job ASAP is priority number one.

In one way it's a relief as moving there on a TWP with the world economy in turmoil was scaring the cr@p out of me. The worst thing that could have happened would have been moving there and then losing the job.

Funnily enough since starting this reply I have had a call from an agency for a job on contract at a bank in London. So hopefully as one door closes and other one opens.

SM
Oh no what a bummer. Hope the bank job works out ok for you.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

SM
Sorry to hear that Scouse We're in turmoil too! Due to go to Calgary in Feb, I've been told the job is fine, but all this is on a TWP and it does set you wondering some - hmmm.

I think we're going to wait for PR as we've been in the queue since Oct 06.

As you say, bet to have happened now than when you get there!

Hope it all works out for you

Y
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

LadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant future

SM
Sorry to hear, real bummer indeed. Wish you the best in your next plans.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

She can't.......she's addicted.....
Hi Rainey,

I must've missed this post somehow! Everytime she e-mails she tells me she's got a Timmie in her hand!

Y
Old Dec 20th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
I hope so Nikki as this is what I'm banking on

We'll see

Y
Well looks like you were right Nikki! I gave them a deadline of Thursday evening just gone at 7:00pm they wanted a further £10k off, so I offered them £4k with the deadline or forget it and deal is off.

I stuck my neck out to put them under pressure really to force them into a decision one way or another!

It worked!! I telephoned our solicitor and got him to draw up the contracts and we sign this Monday at 2:00pm..

His wife must of put her foot down - poor bloke

This experience has taught me a valuable lesson

Never, Never! Understimate the awesome power of a woman

What a relief!

Thanks all for your comments and support last week which for those of you that've been there will know where I'm coming from

Cheers

Yogi

Last edited by Yogi-Bear; Dec 20th 2008 at 12:59 pm. Reason: Changed women to woman :)
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:07 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Never, Never! Understimate the awesome power of a women
Too bloody true!! Really pleased it worked and wahay you are really on your way now!
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:09 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Well looks like you were right Nikki! I gave them a deadline of Thursday evening just gone at 7:00pm they wanted a further £10k off, so I offered them £4k with the deadline or forget it and deal is off.

I stuck my neck out to put them under pressure really to force them into a decission one way or another!

It worked!! I telephoned our solicitor and got him to draw up the contracts and we sign this Monday at 2:00pm..

What a relief!

Thanks all for your comments and support last week which for those of you that've been there will know where I'm coming from

Cheers

Yogi
Great news Yogi, really pleased its sorted out for you
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

halftheworldaway is an unknown quantity at this point

I stuck my neck out to put them under pressure really to force them into a decission one way or another!

What a relief!

Cheers

Yogi
Great news Yogi !!

Now you can get on with your move and your new life in Canada
Old Dec 20th 2008, 1:41 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Hi Rainey,

I must've missed this post somehow! Everytime she e-mails she tells me she's got a Timmie in her hand!

Y
Hey...you will find out that when you go shopping here that you need a hot drink in your hand, just to keep warm
At -30 this morning, we are off doing the food shopping for xmas, yep quess where i'm going on the way to the shops

Mind you quess what i had in my hand last night whilst i was pressie shopping???

OK maybe addicted...
But its the canadian way
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:33 pm

Rainey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

I stuck my neck out to put them under pressure really to force them into a decision one way or another!

What a relief!

Cheers

Yogi
Well done to you, am so glad it has all worked out and you are now on your way. Happy Christmas Yogi xxxx
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moondevil
Hey...you will find out that when you go shopping here that you need a hot drink in your hand, just to keep warm
At -30 this morning, we are off doing the food shopping for xmas, yep quess where i'm going on the way to the shops

Mind you quess what i had in my hand last night whilst i was pressie shopping???

OK maybe addicted...
But its the canadian way

I dread to think

Y
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well done to you, am so glad it has all worked out and you are now on your way. Happy Christmas Yogi xxxx
Many Thanks Rainey, and a Merry Christmas to you too

Y
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

What a relief!

Cheers

Yogi
Good luck Yogi-Bear, Really pleased it is working out for you

According to the Halifax people actively looking was up the last 2 months nos were the highest for 2 years as are the no of mortgages and houses sold,

Lets hope this continues, buyers are looking for bargains and will try it on but its up to each of us to decide what price we let the house sell for,

Looks like there is a def down turn in Canada as well so hopefully will make up some cash or at least get the house we want for less there, noticed a couple of properties we were interested in that have been reduced quite significantly they seem to be on the market for quite some time,

good luck tomorrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.