Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:00 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by McBotts
Hi - my first posting!! We are in the same boat! PR ready,job offers , area to live in NS chosen on a visit last summer and we cannot sell our house. We are going over in February to say hello to Immigration and hopefully have a ski at Wentworth but boy oh boy we are wondering if we are doing the right thing. Do we loose excessive amounts of money on our house? Do we rent our house out and not buy in NS but rent and risk moving the children again. STRESS++++ not to mention the bloooming exchange rate...... We don't want to miss out on an opportunity but !!!!!! What do we do???? This is a great website. We have been looking at it for months and getting lots of information from it. Thank you all.
Hi

Welcome to BE,

Sorry to hear that you haven't sold your house yet, are you in a position to be able to rent it out for the short term, to at least enable you to move on with your lives in NS? Would you get enough rent to cover the mortgage?

As another poster mentioned, I think it depends on your circumstances re dropping lots of money, ie is it a situation where your equity pot is reduced or is it going to impact upon clearing the mortgage.

In our situation our moving pot of money has significantly reduced, initially it could have bought us a house straight away in NS, now it will just about cover the move costs, a very small deposit on a house, a 2nd hand car and a few months rent, but we accept this and will move on and keep trying to win the lottery

Whilst it would have been fantastic to have started our new lives in Canada with a large pot of money to get started and to assist with the everyday costs of living by a reduced mortgage etc, the aim of the move for us as a family is nothing to really do with money so I guess it becomes more irrelevent.

Good luck

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Dec 16th 2008 at 8:03 pm. Reason: added a bit!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agr
Well, I'm no expert, but if the wife has fallen in love with your place then rejecting the £10k demand should be safe!
Hehe - Yup this is what I'm banking on she wears the trousers for sure

Mind you, don't they all? For the ladies of the forum, I mean that in a nice way

Y
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:25 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear

Mind you, don't they all? For the ladies of the forum, I mean that in a nice way

Y
I would say you are probably safe re calling your buyers bluff in this instance
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I would say you are probably safe re calling your buyers bluff in this instance
I hope so Nikki as this is what I'm banking on

We'll see

Y
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Buyers know that they have us over a barrel at the moment. Our house is up for sale for £35000 less than it was worth last year. If someone came in with an offer £10000 less but could go ahead with purchase, I would snatch their hand off.
We have had 2 offers but they both have houses to sell.
And yeah the excess money was never ours. It was never in our bank, it was just a value.
When we move we will now have to get a mortgage but hey ho, we are used to working for what we have as I am sure, you people are too.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:16 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Y
I'm buying a house in Edmonton that my wife hasn't seen. I always did have an appetite for risk! (The house is definitely big enough for one...)
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't read all the posts, I tried but may have missed some. IMO, humble or otherwise, if you don't have a job to come to, or have an occupation where you will be guaranteed to get a job, then it's not wise to leave a job to come here. Especially if you don't have much money to survive on once you are here.

Look at the Canadian papers, see what they are saying about job losses etc, and then think where you would be in the running for the few jobs that are left.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:45 pm

Rainey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by agr
I'm buying a house in Edmonton that my wife hasn't seen. I always did have an appetite for risk! (The house is definitely big enough for one...)
You are a brave man for sure........ Bet she will love it
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agr
I have to agree with Rainey here! You're a brave man!

If the door bell don't work, it'll be your fault

"Purple heart with cluster" award for you

Y

Last edited by Yogi-Bear; Dec 16th 2008 at 9:57 pm. Reason: missed w :)
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:01 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rainey69
You are a brave man for sure........ Bet she will love it
Totally brave
1. for buying house without OH seeing it
2. buying in this market
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moondevil
Totally brave
1. for buying house without OH seeing it
2. buying in this market
Hiya Moon

Once again, thanks for your help. I've replied to R's email, and the best of luck for tomorrow

Y

PS> Put that Timmie down!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:46 pm

PS> Put that Timmie down!
She can't.......she's addicted.....
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:47 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

She can't.......she's addicted.....
If it's the cinnamon ones then i can see her point...Yum!!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
If it's the cinnamon ones then i can see her point...Yum!!
I don't think she's fussy ya know.......tis CHOCOLATE!!!!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:51 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think she's fussy ya know.......tis CHOCOLATE!!!!
oooh....Chocolate Dips.....oh my god i'd forgotten those

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.