Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Postal or proxy vote for UK elections?

Wikiposts

Postal or proxy vote for UK elections?

Old May 6th 2024, 10:08 am
Just Joined

PlateOfToast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Postal or proxy vote for UK elections?

Hey folks,

With politics very much at the forefront of all news coming from the homeland, I've, naturally, been thinking about my overseas voter registration. I'm currently registered for an overseas postal ballot, but am wondering if it would be worth trying to find someone to act as a proxy instead. I'm in Victoria, BC, so I'm aware that post normally takes a bit longer to get anywhere from here, and so I would be curious as to the experience of others in the same boat.
Old May 6th 2024, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postal or proxy vote for UK elections?

Because of postal delays would be good to use a proxy if you can (we can't).
Old May 22nd 2024, 9:43 am
Just Joined

GiantSantaCruzer is an unknown quantity at this point

Topical, in view of today's announcement. How does one check if they are registered for postal or proxy votes?
Old May 22nd 2024, 9:54 am
Just Joined

PlateOfToast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GiantSantaCruzer
Topical, in view of today's announcement. How does one check if they are registered for postal or proxy votes?
Easiest way is to find the local authority of the seat you're registered in and email them. Most will have a specific elections-related email address.
If you google "Contact your local Electoral Registration Office" (can't post links yet), follow the gov.uk result.
Old May 24th 2024, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

You can vote by proxy as explained. You have to be registered as an overseas voter which you are.

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-vote/voting-from-abroad

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-vote/voting-by-proxy
Old Jun 1st 2024, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Postal or proxy vote for UK elections?

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
You can vote by proxy as explained. You have to be registered as an overseas voter which you are.

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-vote/voting-from-abroad

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-vote/voting-by-proxy
Thank you for posting the links Jonboy! I followed them to re-register to vote as an overseas voter. It then directed me to request a postal vote. I could have requested a proxy vote instead. But I don’t know anyone close enough to coax to travel to Kettering, Northants to vote on our behalf.

We voted 2005 - 2020 under the old 15 year rule. We’ve always used a courier to return our postal votes to Kettering. We live on Vancouver Island so wanted to make sure they arrive in time.

Cheers,

Sarah

Old Jun 3rd 2024, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Postal or proxy vote for UK elections?

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Thank you for posting the links Jonboy! I followed them to re-register to vote as an overseas voter. It then directed me to request a postal vote. I could have requested a proxy vote instead. But I don’t know anyone close enough to coax to travel to Kettering, Northants to vote on our behalf.

We voted 2005 - 2020 under the old 15 year rule. We’ve always used a courier to return our postal votes to Kettering. We live on Vancouver Island so wanted to make sure they arrive in time.

Cheers,

Sarah
Your welcome. Now your only problem is to find someone worth voting for.