Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Post Graduate Work Permit & Health Insurance

Post Graduate Work Permit & Health Insurance

Old Jul 16th 2012, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Natmicstef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Post Graduate Work Permit & Health Insurance

I have looked at the various health insurance companies for new immigrants/visitors to Canada until OHIP kicks in but all I can find are policies for emergency medical treatment.

Does anyone know of a policy for non canadians in Canada that would cover regular doctor visits and prescription medication? My son has just started working here (Ontario) on a post graduate work permit but in order to quality for OHIP has to be employed for 6 months...and then there is the 3 month wait...so I need him to be covered for 9 months for both normal doctor visits as well as emergency.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 6:49 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Graduate Work Permit & Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Natmicstef
I have looked at the various health insurance companies for new immigrants/visitors to Canada until OHIP kicks in but all I can find are policies for emergency medical treatment.

Does anyone know of a policy for non canadians in Canada that would cover regular doctor visits and prescription medication? My son has just started working here (Ontario) on a post graduate work permit but in order to quality for OHIP has to be employed for 6 months...and then there is the 3 month wait...so I need him to be covered for 9 months for both normal doctor visits as well as emergency.
Well firstly private health insurance is not available/permitted for legal residents of Ontario/Canada. For new arrivals before OHIP kicks in you should look at http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada, although I doubt it can be purchased for as long as 9 months.
I should have Googled before posting but have a look at http://www.uhip.ca/intro.aspx

Last edited by Auld Yin; Jul 16th 2012 at 6:58 pm. Reason: More info
Old Jul 16th 2012, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Appreciate your help but I checked out those sites already and that's when I discovered that available private health insurance is actually accident/emergency medical insurance...I could find no insurance so far that covers a person for a normal visit to the doctor or for prescription he/she may write. As you can tell, I am new to paying full price for a doctor's visit.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

In my humble opinion it's the emergency coverage that you really want, as the cost of an X-rays, emergency treatment etc can quickly add up. The normal odd trip to the doctor and the cost of a prescription for antibiotics etc you can handle in the short term.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

True, I suppose. Thanks for your response.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You can get insurance through CAA for visitors to Canada who are on visas.
Emergency medical help is not limited to accidents or heart attack like events. It could also be a viral infection, abdominal pain etc. It's an emergent and unforeseen illness. So you won't get insurance for a pre-existing condition but you will for a new one.
http://www.caasco.com/Insurance/Trav...ada-Plans.aspx

Also, with visitors insurance you usually get repatriation cover so that if a serious illness or injury occurs you can get back to the UK or wherever. Once you are on OHIP you don't get this. (Natch)