Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Calgary in Jan 18

Possible move to Calgary in Jan 18

Old Nov 14th 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Calgary in Jan 18

Originally Posted by ann m

I wouldn't want to live there necessarily because I figure if you're gonna live in Calgary, then get a a view (!) - but not because it's 'rough'.

True! I'm moving to Alberta, if I had one choice I'd move near Cochrane! What a beautiful town!
Old Nov 14th 2017, 4:56 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to be in the city (ie, not in a satellite town like Airdrie) then somewhere in the NW with close proximity to Stoney Trail is your best bet.

Don't live in the deep NE if you can avoid it (east of Deerfoot Trail).

You could live somewhere in the deep SE, but then again, who would want to do that. Most people do this because they want a bigger property at a cheaper price. You can get that same value proposition in the deep north (like Evanston), with better access to the airport.

Last edited by Photoplex; Nov 14th 2017 at 5:04 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

I know people like evidence when they dare post anything here, BUT from my time here, the people that get shot are in or from the NE. The red light district is.....in the NE.

The rents are cheaper in the NE and generally, folk from around here avoid....the NE.

I LIVE IN ASPEN. SW....� ����
Old Nov 15th 2017, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...garymlsmap.jpg

It's old but I love it.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
I live & work in the NW, near the University. Super easy to get around transit wise- plenty buses and the train goes right up to Tuscany in the NW. We find the area safe and clean. We’re right by the river too which is nice. No issues getting around Calgary. We find it super easy to drive around- and I never understand people’s issues with the transit here- though my direct comparison was the metro system in/around Newcastle in North East England- now that is bad!! We can hop on the train near ours & be downtown in 15mins though. No issues with that- it’s cheap too. (Again- comparison wise to what I was used to.)

Getting around the NE where the airport is, is a pain. For some reason everything feels like it takes longer in the NE, it all feels way more spread out. It takes us around 25/30 mins to get to the airport from where we live (husband flies in and out generally once a month so it’s a well trodden drive for us.) so not bad time wise.
But if we were to ask anyone either of us work with about the NE, they’d describe it as rough. We have no real reason to go apart from the airport and months ago when I needed to get a police clearance check (police HQ is in NE) - so no real personal experience over that side.

I am told a lot of Brits move to the SW of the city- I come across a few at work and they tell me that’s where they’re all hiding! Haha explains why I don’t come across many Brits.

Nothing feels too far away in this city though I don’t think. Roads are easy. Transit is alright. Can be out of the city super quick and away from it all if you like. Lots of nice neighbourhoods within the city. My fave being Inglewood (its the oldest so I may be attracted to that.) considering moving there next year.

Can’t comment on schools/where to live with kids as don’t have any- sorry!

Good luck in your search! :-)
Inglewood is great for breakfast, becoming more and more trendy and will be awesome when the new green line arrives. 👍
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:56 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Inglewood is great for breakfast, becoming more and more trendy and will be awesome when the new green line arrives. 👍
Becoming more and more trendy?

It's been an unbearably over-trendy hipster parade for as long as I can remember.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Photoplex

It's been an unbearably over-trendy hipster parade for as long as I can remember.
And you can get your crack, weed or fentanyl delivered to your door. Still some ropey drug stuff going on there, lucky the over trendy types can afford it.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:41 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to be in the city (ie, not in a satellite town like Airdrie) then somewhere in the NW with close proximity to Stoney Trail is your best bet.

https://i.imgur.com/L5x4bDg.png
Other 'reasonable' commute routes from NW over to the airport are:

W to E along Country Hills Boulevard
W to E along John Laurie/McKnight Boulevard

I did both routes to work in the NE up near the airport for a while and they were pretty reasonable through-routes too. About half an hour if I timed it right during the rush hour.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 4:45 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And you can get your crack, weed or fentanyl delivered to your door. Still some ropey drug stuff going on there, lucky the over trendy types can afford it.
No idea what you're talking about.

The red light district is.....in the NE
Also, all historic and current hooker strolls are either downtown (old French Maid area, 15th/Macleod) or in the SE (Forest Lawn) - not the NE.

Last edited by Photoplex; Nov 15th 2017 at 5:05 am.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it’s hipster alright!! Haha I think I just prefer the quirky (slightly) older buildings around there to be honest- love walking down some of the residential streets.
- and the Spice shop is amazing!
Old Nov 15th 2017, 4:54 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
Oh it’s hipster alright!! Haha I think I just prefer the quirky (slightly) older buildings around there to be honest- love walking down some of the residential streets.
- and the Spice shop is amazing!
Yup, regular patron of Silk Road! Kent of Inglewood is also a quirky cool little store, and a good place to find unusual gifts for men.

The only other reasons I visit Inglewood is the breweries, Oak & Vine liquor store, and occasionally restaurants.

It's not so much the area that's the problem - it's the inhabitants. You know the kind - the ones that were cool before it was cool to be cool.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning folks,

Many thanks for all your input on the subject of moving to Calgary. I will look into them in a bit more depth.
Just got back from taking the family to Niagara for the weekend. Now that is one expensive puddle to visit!! Nice to see though.

Regards

Farmboy.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:19 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Parts of the NE are rough.
Parts of the NW are very redneck F150 trash.

My biggest concern with the North-NE is the sheer amount of building going on and the added traffic. The light rail won't be extended there for years.
Can you define what this is?? I would love an F150.. it would be tres useful to tow a horse trailer but right now one with its required gas quota is out of my financial reach. Does that mean that the F150 trash have more actual cash, so therefore am I unable to even attain that level?
If I finally afford it, am I F150 trash?
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Can you define what this is?? I would love an F150.. it would be tres useful to tow a horse trailer but right now one with its required gas quota is out of my financial reach. Does that mean that the F150 trash have more actual cash, so therefore am I unable to even attain that level?
I’d happily have one too. Haha when we first moved here and we’re hiring cars as and when needed- we were often given an F150 - I decided coming from a little hatchback in the UK I could easily get used to a big truck! Haha
Driven an F250 in the Yukon several times too...useful for up there for sure...though a tad too big for me- could have done with a horse just to climb into it! Haha
Old Nov 15th 2017, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
That reminds me of a trial I was once involved with. The mother was trying to attack the credibility of the father, my client. She said that he was, "a redneck that drives a truck" and then went on to describe the truck.

The Judge said, "That sounds just like the truck I drive to work everyday. Does that make me a redneck too?"

She didn't win

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.