British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Portage la Prairie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/portage-la-prairie-860815/)

Amy1807 Jun 26th 2015 4:07 pm

Portage la Prairie

Hello,

Does anybody have any info/views on Portage la Prairie?
Nice areas, bad areas, schools, housing, things to do etc etc
Anything you have to say about it, share :)

Thank you

Jericho79 Jun 26th 2015 5:57 pm

Re: Portage la Prairie

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11685499)
Hello,

Does anybody have any info/views on Portage la Prairie?
Nice areas, bad areas, schools, housing, things to do etc etc
Anything you have to say about it, share :)

Thank you

In towns like that, you're not really going to have good/bad areas.

Manitoba is a bit of a shit hole to be honest. Sorry to those who live there, but it is.

Grah Jun 26th 2015 10:16 pm

Well Wikipedia says
from 2011 the population was 12,996 and the land area of the city was 24.67 square kilometres (9.53 sq mi).

it's about 80km from me and unfortunately I don't know anyone living there.

Went to their official site at Offical site for the City of Portage la Prairie,MB

and from there to the links page looking at PRRA Inc - PCU Centre Online seems to tell you what is going on ,

there is also PortageOnline.com - Local news, Weather, Sports, Free Classifieds and Business Listings with the news

If you want to talk to someone then Rhonda Lodwick - Real Estate Agent - Century 21 Canada LP - Foxx Realty Ltd. - Portage La Prairie, MB is a real estate agent who lives there and if your going to move there might be interested in advising you, all about the town. :sneaky:

BenBuzz Jun 28th 2015 1:03 am

Hello Amy,

I have lived in Brandon MB for nearly 2 years now and with my job I spend a lot of time around the Portage area. I'm going to be honest and say that it probably isn't a place I'd recommend...in fact I wouldn't. Apart from the basic amenities you will need to go to Winnipeg (although that would only be about a 30 min drive).

Brandon is a bit of a bigger place and has nearly everything you (I) need day to day. Still has a fairly small-city feel and everyone seems to know everyone. I am leaving to go back to the UK in September but if I come back to Manitoba, it will be to somewhere near Brandon. :)

Conmar Jun 28th 2015 10:59 am

Hello Amy,

Ben is right, Brandon is a good place to live, liked it too, much better than Portage is. However, it is too far away from Winnipeg for the daily drive, if need should be (jobwise perhaps).
And, it may be a bit of a struggle to find accomodation there (at least it was the case in 2012 and 2013, so my information may be a bit outdated).
In that case I would suggest to take Steinbach into consideration, much closer to Peg and a very nice and clean place too: City of Steinbach - Home
@Jericho79: there are shitty places in Manitoba, but that holds true also for other places and countries, even for Vancouver, Zurich, Munich to mention but a few. Sorry to those who live there... just saying;).

By the way, never met so many friendly people as in Manitoba, tbh, when I used to live there. So don't worry, Amy. there are always pros and cons.:thumbup:

Amy1807 Jun 28th 2015 5:20 pm

Thanks everyone.

Grah, I have emailed the real estate agent. I had seen some of the links you provided but not all, so thanks.

Benbuzz and conmar, I was under the impression that portage had a lot of what Brandon had. I understand what Jericho says about a small town not having a bad area, but I disagree, so does Brandon have a 'less desirable' area ?
Steinbach is unfortunately too far a commute for where the job is.

caretaker Jun 29th 2015 8:29 pm

By the way, never met so many friendly people as in Manitoba, tbh, when I used to live there. So don't worry, Amy. there are always pros and cons.:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

I've said it before and I'll say it again ...

It says right on the license plates "Friendly Manitoba". Saskatchewan license plates say "Land of Living Skies". People move to Saskatchewan and have a hard time meeting people; I tell them "Piss off, that's Manitoba. Read the license plates."

BenBuzz Jun 30th 2015 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11687068)
Thanks everyone.

Grah, I have emailed the real estate agent. I had seen some of the links you provided but not all, so thanks.

Benbuzz and conmar, I was under the impression that portage had a lot of what Brandon had. I understand what Jericho says about a small town not having a bad area, but I disagree, so does Brandon have a 'less desirable' area ?
Steinbach is unfortunately too far a commute for where the job is.

Portage does have some of what a Brandon has but on a much smaller scale. Of course Brandon probably has a shady area but even after living there for a couple of years I couldn't tell you where it really is!

Where abouts is your job located? There are plenty of nice but much smaller communities to choose from, too.

Piff Poff Jul 2nd 2015 3:15 am

A Canadian I know would not move back to her hometown of Portage if she had a choice, she much prefers Red Reer for some reason.

dormy Jul 2nd 2015 8:52 pm

I actually quite like Portage; it all depends on what you are looking for. Its a small Prairie town, and as such there is not a great deal happening there. You would have a peaceful life there, bordering on boredom. Its only 30 mins from Winnipeg if you need a bit more excitement.

jamesmc Jul 4th 2015 12:34 am

we drive to portage to shop on a sunday as most of the big box stores are open unlike our area...but remember PLP has on one side Longplain and on another Dakota tipi.both large reserves ,.we looked at PLP when we first came and no way.....also it has 2 main railtracks through the town with the horns blaring and if someone hits the bridge over #1 highway traffic goes through the town. I work with an ex PLP born an bred guy and you couldn't get him to move back if you offered him a gold watch.
as said above lots of nice towns /villages /homesteads around to look at instead.
sorry if people don't like what I wrote but its true.

Amy1807 Jul 4th 2015 10:15 am

That's very helpful jamesmc! As is the rest of information from you all.
I will be looking elsewhere now. I'm sure it's a lovely place, but perhaps not what I'm looking for.
Brandon is a strong possibility, and I'll look into other surrounding towns too.
Thank you all

MB-Realtor Jul 4th 2015 11:39 pm

Elie is a nice little "village" about half way between Portage and Winnipeg.

Elie, St. Eustache, Springstein, Dacotah, Lido Plage Manitoba -- Rural Municipality of Cartier

Its had a big tornado in the past, but the whole area is at the top of tornado alley. :fingerscrossed:

caretaker Jul 4th 2015 11:45 pm

Could be some today... Real-Time Lightning Map :: LightningMaps.org

jamesmc Jul 5th 2015 7:38 pm

just a thought for the OP ....they rent houses at the ex airforce base at Southport which is outside of PLP and its a community on its own..there is a website .southport mb living.