Pork Pies

Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pork Pies

Originally Posted by ottawaharvey
If you ever get to Ottawa then Loblaws sells Melton Mowbray pork pies.
Which Loblaws and how long ago did you see them please?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

ottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the rough

Loblaws at the end of Elgin Street (near Pretoria bridge). They have had them everytime I have been in, the latest was just before Christmas. Living where I am at the moment it is the first thing I buy when I visit my daughter
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottawaharvey
Loblaws at the end of Elgin Street (near Pretoria bridge). They have had them everytime I have been in, the latest was just before Christmas. Living where I am at the moment it is the first thing I buy when I visit my daughter
Great thank you!!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

And for those in/around the Victoria area, the butchers in Oak Bay Village sells pork pies, black pudding, proper bacon etc. They were closed yesterday though so I'll have to pop back there later and wipe the saliva drools off the window
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you to all for the information- I bought pork pies in Loblaws in Kingston yesterday..

$4.99 for a big one!!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:35 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

In Winnipeg my Wife sells 2 types of Pork Pies (Melton Mowbray & Traditional) as well as 6 types of British Sausage, British cut back bacon, and traditional pies.

They will ship within Canada.

www.ragingbrit.com
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I know you're in Kingston, but in downtown Vancouver The Bay department store has a great deli and they sell many varieties of English style pork pies!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
In Winnipeg my Wife sells 2 types of Pork Pies (Melton Mowbray & Traditional) as well as 6 types of British Sausage, British cut back bacon, and traditional pies.

They will ship within Canada.

www.ragingbrit.com
Thanks MB Realtor- I will be checking that out!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:30 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotteW
I use a recipe from a very ancient and battered copy of The Farmhouse Kitchen cookery book....

It is easy enough to make tbh

Hot Water Crust:
125ml/4floz water
125g/4floz lard
275g/10oz strong plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 sm beaten egg

Filling:
450g/1lb pork (from the shoulder)
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp powdered mace (optional)

Jelly:
1 pigs trotter (I couldn't find it, so substituted a hock instead and that worked fine)
1 bayleaf
6 peppercorns

1. Prepare jelly the day before :
Boil the trotter (or hock!), bay leaf and peppercorns in 1 pint of water until very soft (3 hours or so). STrain into a basin and leave to cool When cool, remove the fat from the top. (if it doesn't set as a jelly, you can add an envelope of gelatine to it...).
2. Make the pastry - Boil the water and lard together, pour over the flour and salt and mix with a knife until cool enough to knead with your hands. Cool a little before rolling out.
3. Make the filling. Trim pork and cut into very small pieces. Mix in the seasonings (you can also put it through the coarsest disc of a mincer if you have one).
4. Roll out 3/4 of the pastry to fit a 15cm/6" loose bottomed cake tin. Use to line bottom and sides of the tin.
5. PAck filling in loosely
6. roll out remaining pastry and use to make a lid for the pie. Seal well, glaze wih the beaten egg and cut a hole in the center.
7. Bake in a moderately hot oven - gas 6/400F/200C for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to Gas 5/375F/190C for 1 hour.
8 remove from oven a d cool.
9. When pie is cold, reheat the jelly to make it runny and gently pour through the hole in the lid until it starts to ooze out of the sides.

for best flavour leave 24 hours before eating.
After reading that it's enough to put you off eating them.

We found trotters her but they are always smoke and for sale to dogs. Really hard trying to convice the butcher they are for human consumption.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 1:55 am
Just Joined

johnbull is an unknown quantity at this point

This website ( http://www.lazysausage.com ) has a full recipe and picture instructions for making a pork pie. Just click on Pork Pie Making.

It looks pretty easy!

They also have instructions for home made gammons!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:37 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just found a butchers in Sherwood Park selling "english bacon"- it looks the part, but I'll have to try it tomorrow (although at $12.99 it better be bloody good! ).
They also sell other English goodies- branston, frys turkish delight, english toffee, potato cakes*, black pudding, gammon, melton mowbray pies and loads of other stuff. Some of it is frozen, but I guess beggars cant be chosers.

For those that are interested, it's immediately next to Panago pizza on Baseline.

*I became so desperate for these I started making my own a couple of weeks ago!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 3:30 am
Just Joined

johnbull is an unknown quantity at this point

with www.lazysausage.com they provide you the ingredients to make your own. They say a melton mowbray takes about 30 minutes to prepare and an hour to cook.

I have had frozen had melton mowbrays from the freezer cabinet of some brit shops around vancouver and the meat inside always has an unusual texture (gelatine separates when frozen) and the pastry tastes odd.

I am going to have go making my own.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

We have been getting pork pies (big ones ) for $3.99 from the local grocery stores in the deli counter (Loblaws, IGA, Canadian Superstore).

They taste pretty good, and they sell cornish pasties!

I am so glad cos I am having my fix!!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

Most big Loblaws have them- bought some 2 weeks ago- very good according to by husband who is an avid comsumer.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 9:53 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought a Melton Mowbray pie from the Farmers' Market .... I'll let you know if it's any good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.