Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice
Default Re: Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Who's "we" and to whom has control been ceded?
The Nation!

But we don't need to get technical over this! It's just an overall saying. Knowing you it'll get all policital and there're never be a 'right' or 'wrong' answer.

The country is a mess and it's going to take years, who beit sorts it out!!

Angela
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:57 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm beginning to understand why the Australians called all the British immigrants 'whinging' Poms.

It's like the Daily Mail is trying to drive its entire readership out of the country.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'm beginning to understand why the Australians called all the British immigrants 'whinging' Poms.

It's like the Daily Mail is trying to drive its entire readership out of the country.
There's nothing wrong with the UK, it's a nice country with lots on offer and I see this especially when I go abroad.

The problems is it's economics and far too many immigrants that's change the way Britain behaves, although not all bad. Where I live is fine and I enjoy the culture around me. For another area tells a very different story and I'm sure Canada has it's problems too.

The main reason I can see most Brits wanting to leave are jobs and better opportunities for their children.

I have friends/family from Canada, US and New Zealand that whinge! Nothing new there!!! It's a global thing.

It'll be nice to hear some positive encouragements and feedbacks, there're a lot of worries this end.

Angela
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
far too many immigrants
Boom! Tish!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:49 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Well, that's quite an assumption. With due respect to everyone, I think there are plenty of people emigrating who wouldn't fit into the 'skilled middle class' box...

Just because some of the skilled middle classes are joining the poor and disaffected in the emigration queue doesn't mean that the whole nature of emigration has changed.

In Britain, there basically aren't any (many) poor, starving wretches anymore. But there still are people who think there is a better life waiting 'over the water' - nothing has changed. The exchange rate, or the amount of money that emigrants take with them are mere details.
Pretty big details I would think. We all know that those moving abroad generally fall into two categories - the push crew - those who feel, rightly or wrongly, that a better life awaits abroad, and those that are pulled to be with loved ones, gain experience in a particular field, or to be loved ones etc.

It will be the push crew that is impacted in these times with a pound that has lost 25 percent of its value, equity that has evaported and savings that are dwindling. Not to mention a dearth of jobs.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
Everyone I know wants to leave the UK now because of the crime, high cost of living, poor customer service, crumbling education system, celebrity culture, rain, crap seasides, rugby, too many old people, dirty booze soaked cities, sex obsessed teenagers hanging around shopping centres and the general lack of respect for each other. It’s just not the same place anymore. Then there’s the immigrants. I don’t blame everyone for waning to leave, its not a good place to bring up your kids and they are the most important.

Edited to add: And the traffic has gotten bad.
and Coronation street is not what it used to be. Bring back stan and hilda.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

yeah 2008 and 2009 wasa a big drop in earnings for me. 2010 it has picked up considerably but i do not think the econmy has...I think we might be heading into "double dip" everythng looks on hold here again...

Our home has been on the market for 7 months..many biewing but people put in silly offers. Bankers/Estate agent spushed prices up from 2000 - 2006 now they want to drop them down....

The trades around where I live are struggling now, I'm earning less now than 5 years ago, the VAT rise next year will hit hard.
Everythings going up but earning less, how does that work
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

then do not rely on the state for work......get them into "busines buidling.." there is always lots of opportunity no matter what. You sound like it's upto the state to provide "work" for the future employees. WHY?

There is no such thing as unemployment........I cannot get my head around how any one can claim such a state.....lose your job get off you backside and create money.

No offence but sometimes the "poor employee" attitude get to me.

The main reason I can see most Brits wanting to leave are jobs and better opportunities for their children.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crusheduk
There is no such thing as unemployment........I cannot get my head around how any one can claim such a state.....lose your job get off you backside and create money.

No offence but sometimes the "poor employee" attitude get to me.
Except in the UK, if you 'get off your backside' and go round the neighbourhood cleaning windows or whatever, then you'll end up worse off because you'll lose all your benefits which are worth far more than the income from a low-end job.

No laid-off middle-class worker in their right mind is going to take low-paid work when the taxpayer is paying their mortgage for them so long as they're unemployed.

I don't know how the Canadian system compares, but the British welfare state almost seems designed to keep people on their backside instead of working.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian system is based around Employment Insurance, in that you have to work for a certain amount of time in order to get anything, and you don't usually get that much from it, just enough to sustain you. This means it doesn't fail the same way the british system does, this is apparent too with places like Labour Ready who wouldn't be able to stay in business in such a welfare state.

My personal gripe with the UK isn't a problem that can easily be fixed, it's simply that it is too established. It's hard to feel like your part of something in the UK, you just feel like your living in a country thats been "done" so to speak. In Canada things are new and expanding and I feel like I'm actually part of something. This could just be down to cultural perception rather than having any factual basis but thats just how I feel. It feels like Britain's future is a straight line (Daily Mail readers would argue a downward slope) where as Canada's future is an upward trend.

It is my view that a lot of immigrants, whether they realise it or not, leave the UK due to this reason or other reasons that have it's root in this fundamental aspect.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Except in the UK, if you 'get off your backside' and go round the neighbourhood cleaning windows or whatever, then you'll end up worse off because you'll lose all your benefits which are worth far more than the income from a low-end job....the British welfare state almost seems designed to keep people on their backside instead of working.
Actually a huge part of the problem is that one doesn't lose all one's benefits but people keep repeating this myth.

Now it can sometimes be a little fiddly in the transition from Housing Benefit based on JSA/Income Support to HB based on low eanings, but extended HB - which continues to pay rent for a month after other benefits stop - should help until that's done.

People can still qualify for HB if income is not sufficiently above benefit levels to pay rent.

It's not a fortune but it does leave you with more unless you had high expenses getting to work.

Dental and Optical benefits are still available too.

It keeps you in the job market and something better may come of that.

Much of it is a mindset. Quite often the move from benefits to work isn't that much of a gain. People might be getting their £90 rent paid and have £60 spare. Then a job comes along that gives them a take home pay of £220, leaving them with £130 after rent and they think they're only working for £70 more than on benefits.

It's true, of course, but there are plenty earning that same £240 and doing reasonably well (I was one) but not thinking they're only working for an extra £70.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Loath as I am to question the orthodox view, I can't help but think that I read on here somewhere that there's a stampede out of the UK. That doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps people have been happy with the leadership of the country over the past eighteen months or so.
They won't be when they start swinging the axe.....
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
The Canadian system is based around Employment Insurance, in that you have to work for a certain amount of time in order to get anything, and you don't usually get that much from it, just enough to sustain you. This means it doesn't fail the same way the british system does, this is apparent too with places like Labour Ready who wouldn't be able to stay in business in such a welfare state.

My personal gripe with the UK isn't a problem that can easily be fixed, it's simply that it is too established. It's hard to feel like your part of something in the UK, you just feel like your living in a country thats been "done" so to speak. In Canada things are new and expanding and I feel like I'm actually part of something. This could just be down to cultural perception rather than having any factual basis but thats just how I feel. It feels like Britain's future is a straight line (Daily Mail readers would argue a downward slope) where as Canada's future is an upward trend.

It is my view that a lot of immigrants, whether they realise it or not, leave the UK due to this reason or other reasons that have it's root in this fundamental aspect.
Not sure I agree with you 100 percent, but I too experienced the "be all you can be" feeling here in a place that is moving forward, in Vancouver at least. It might be down to one's attitude as an immigrant and the tendency to be driven towards self improvement??

No doubt someone will along shortly to tell us we are full of crap.......
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:47 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Not sure I agree with you 100 percent, but I too experienced the "be all you can be" feeling here in a place that is moving forward, in Vancouver at least. It might be down to one's attitude as an immigrant and the tendency to be driven towards self improvement??

No doubt someone will along shortly to tell us we are full of crap.......
I agree. I believe it's felt by immigrants more than locals and i believe that's due to the effect of "a new start" and the potential drive for change that comes with it.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by el_richo
I agree. I believe it's felt by immigrants more than locals and i believe that's due to the effect of "a new start" and the potential drive for change that comes with it.
Yes indeed. I always did feel I had more opportunites here than the UK though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.