Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Wikiposts

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Originally Posted by 99problems
Rate of exchange is always important when migrating, if you don't think it is then you're poor to start with and have nothing to lose.
Even if you're poor, it's important. Plenty of poor Eastern Europeans have moved to Britain because the exchange rate means that British minimum wage is more than they can earn at home... you don't see many poor Britons moving in the other direction.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:50 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
But if you have it to start to begin with, then losing it when integrating can make it feel like its gone away because of the symbolic exchange.
Quite.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:25 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
But if you have it to start to begin with, then losing it when integrating can make it feel like its gone away because of the symbolic exchange.
Except if the wealth they want to transfer is in their house they never really had it in the first place - they only thought they did.

Those emigrating who instead of selling will just rent their house out whilst prices 'return to normal' are going to be waiting a very long time - in fact in real terms the highs of 07/08 might not happen again for a generation. If they actually ever do.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:28 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
It's fair to say that, with the majority of the inward routes to Canada, there are more spouses and dependants being admitted that the actual principle applicants who meet the criteria.
If only I'd thought of as clear a way to say it as that I needn't have poured over those figures.

It was actually quite informative though.

Even ignoring spouses and dependants I'd have expected work based applications to have heavily outnumbered spousal sponsorship, but those figures tell a different story.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:28 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the mass of returning expats is from Spain, where the exchange rate has crippled their UK pensions and there is very little work to be had. They are in the depths of a deep recession.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Probably the mass of returning expats is from Spain, where the exchange rate has crippled their UK pensions and there is very little work to be had. They are in the depths of a deep recession.
I'm sure you are right. Having said that, the poor exchange rate is affecting more than those ex pats in 'Espana'. My occupational pension comes in from the UK and like many others here in the same boat, I am taking a big hit. I can no longer live off this sole income as I once could however fortunately, I have managed to find work allowing me to make up the shortfall. So much for 'retirement'! I fully accept that all are not so fortunate and can but wish them well.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Except if the wealth they want to transfer is in their house they never really had it in the first place - they only thought they did.

Those emigrating who instead of selling will just rent their house out whilst prices 'return to normal' are going to be waiting a very long time - in fact in real terms the highs of 07/08 might not happen again for a generation. If they actually ever do.
Well you never know??

It's a suck and see job, if it takes years then so be it. The rental market is very popular at the moment.

I think selling right NOW is madness and then what with the exchange rate it's crazy. I have known people two years ago who emigrated to Canada and still rent their houses out. It's not a bad thing.

Look at it on another angle, if things don't turn out right in Canada you still have your safety net to return to.

Angela
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
I have known people two years ago who emigrated to Canada and still rent their houses out. It's not a bad thing.
With the shift in exchange rate and fall in the value of houses that looks to be financially a very bad thing. I do know someone who left in the 80s and only sold his house in 2007, that worked out better, but in the interim he had the hassle of tenants leaving, finding new ones, and worries about paying the mortgage (over and above the amount provided in rent) when his income, and the value of it expressed in pounds, went up and down. Not a relaxing approach.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
With the shift in exchange rate and fall in the value of houses that looks to be financially a very bad thing. I do know someone who left in the 80s and only sold his house in 2007, that worked out better, but in the interim he had the hassle of tenants leaving, finding new ones, and worries about paying the mortgage (over and above the amount provided in rent) when his income, and the value of it expressed in pounds, went up and down. Not a relaxing approach.
Hi

Yep always a risk but it's something worth considering for the time being. You could change the mortgage to an 'interest only' should finance becomes a problem. Or just sell and leave money in a UK bank account until exchange rates improve. Or delay the move and save some more.

Not easy for anyone that's built up everything in a home and loose lots from selling it.

Angela
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Not easy for anyone that's built up everything in a home and loose lots from selling it.
It depends how you keep score. Maybe losing money on a house you don't want to live in doesn't much matter if you end up in one you do want to live in.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
It depends how you keep score. Maybe losing money on a house you don't want to live in doesn't much matter if you end up in one you do want to live in.
For some that maybe the case, for me I'm happy either way. I wouldn't want to loose a large amount, I would cross those bridges if I really had to. For 'Right Now' I keep an open mind on what's going to happen. One month to another it's a new chapter to get through.

Once PR comes see what it brings and takes us, maybe to another dimension

I wasn't planning that this would happen to us at this stage of immigration, it tightens the belt!!! I feel nervous but maybe some of us just need to take the jump but not at a huge cost!! I cannot imagine what others' are thinking and feeling at this stage.

Angela
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Its about maintaining control of as many of the variables as possible. God fprbod it can be possible to gain on the exchange rate and emigrate. I like win - win situations, if I can't have that I measure the cost and compromise but not to the point of reducing my wealth by 50%.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by 99problems
Its about maintaining control of as many of the variables as possible. God fprbod it can be possible to gain on the exchange rate and emigrate. I like win - win situations, if I can't have that I measure the cost and compromise but not to the point of reducing my wealth by 50%.
I, otoh, tend to the Nike approach. Inshallah, I shall shortly have reduced my net worth by 75% in three years and be the more cheerful for it.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arrow Re: Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Hi

It's interesting hearing peoples' views, some cautious and some having optimistic approach. My O/H and I are opposite thinkers when it comes to emirgrating, he doesn't see it as I do. He wants out of this 'dump' and re-start our lives. I don't think the UK is a dump, but I do feel we've lost control of a good country. There's lots I love about the country, including wonderful parents but I don't feel secure enough for my family future. If I have to wait a bit longer to take the jump at a comfortable risk then I'll feel better for it.

At the moment I'm always thinking of ways to reduce any debt that we my incur, like I said it's tighter now to move. I've looked at different avenues and the only way forward is o/h moves first to find work and for us to move a few months later (I hate this feeling). Finding employment whilst in UK has been impossible but it might be because we haven't quite got PR in place yet. Once we land in Jan we'll have more opportunities to get re-connected with people and find out what's really out there.

We can only take the next step once PR comes, what's taking sooooooo long? Bloody joke! Only have 4 months to land!!!!!! This was on a FSW application, with meds done between Jan-April.

Angela
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I do feel we've lost control of a good country.
Who's "we" and to whom has control been ceded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.